Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Thoughts on IJN Kii BB?

22 comments in this topic

Members
327 posts
6,782 battles

What is everyone's opinions on the Kii? IS she worth the money as a premium ship? How does she play? I have a premium for every major power except Japan. TIA

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles
12 minutes ago, crazyferret23777 said:

What is everyone's opinions on the Kii? IS she worth the money as a premium ship? How does she play? I have a premium for every major power except Japan. TIA

A simple search lad... does wonders. 

Edited by Incendiary_Tanker

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,543 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I have a premium for every major power except Japan

She is a BB have not played her much she seemed to miss at distance but then RNG, you know.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,154 posts
17,521 battles

Amagi is the superior pure battlecruiser than Kii.  Gunnery and armor is better on Amagi, but she has garbage AA to the point that CVs pick on her.

Kii has slightly worse accuracy than Amagi and her armor protection is worse.  What you get in return is absolutely fantastic AA that is actually better than NC & Alabama.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,202 posts
7,205 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

You are probably better off getting the Atago.

• Bad 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,536 posts
10,349 battles

Kii is basically the AA version of the Amagi with worst gun and armor. If you like Amagi, you'll maybe like Kii. I'm not really a fan of the ship tho. I don't own her but I find Amagi to be cool but inconsistent so having worst guns and armor isn't really encouraging. 

I think she also has torps but you'll rarely use them if not to determine ennemi speed 

[KNMSU]
Members
5,282 posts
5,531 battles

I'm in the minority, but I like it more than the Amagi. Now, granted, Amagi definitely takes punishment better. But the flexibility of having torpedoes is an enormous boon for an aggressive player such as myself. I killed 2 people (including a destroyer) with torps in a match about a week ago and people were like "wth is going on with this Kii?!" YMMV, of course, and if you sit in the rear and sling shells, those torps will be totally meaningless for you in most situations. Still, I really enjoy playing it (when I am not uptiered).

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
5 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

KII is a great ship, a fast battleship to her core. If you like Kongo you will love KII, they both play the same. Which is not surprising since KII is basically a what if of Amagi a battlecruiser like Kongo was latter made a fast battleship. 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,761 posts
3,937 battles

Kii is an inferior Amagi. The accuracy can leave you frustrated at times.

Instead of just keeping the same gunnery performance as Amagi, they chose to nerf it alongside the armor and TDS, all in exchange for very situational torpedoes, and so-so AA. It's decent for the IJN, but overall AA performance isn't much better than NC (unless one only cares about long-range AA).

It's basically another downtiered hull that could have been better served as a T9 FXP Premium had it just been an Amagi with better AA, or if they really wanted to keep it at T8; just trade the TDS for the torpedoes/AA but keep the armor and accuracy the same.

Members
1,115 posts
14,409 battles
9 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

A simple search lad... does wonders. 

He did ask for every one's opinion not just the LWM view point but thank you for including the link to her review.

As for the OP...when I got the Kii in one of the Santa crates I replaced the Amagi in my fleet with her. The play styles are similar with better AA, torps and the ability to train other IJN BB commanders. The only knock that I'd have against it is that there are better T8 BBs out there both tech tree and premiums so that it rarely gets played.

Members
265 posts
5,911 battles

I'd say about 90% of the time Amagi is just better. Kii's torpedoes don't really jive with the rest of the ship, so they aren't as useful as the ones on Scharnhorst or Tirpitz. The AA is only useful if there's a CV, but it means your secondaries are a lot weaker. Kii is also squishier than Amagi, both due a worse internal armor arrangement and lack of torpedo bulges. Kii's main battery is also worse.

That said, Kii isn't a bad ship, Amagi is just better in the current meta. If you're just looking for a IJN premium for captain training or credit grinding, it's perfectly serviceable. It will also be less captain skill dependent than either Harakaze of Atago, if that's something you're worried about.

Personally, of the regular IJN premiums, Atago is, in my opinion, the best. If you are reasonably good at cruiser gameplay I'd recommend that over Kii. Alternatively, save up a ton of FXP and get Mushasi.

Members
1,631 posts
3,603 battles

It's a great captain trainer if you are working on the IJN battleship line, overall a solid ship with better accuracy than any of the other BB lines but not as accurate as the Amagi. 

Members
863 posts
8,112 battles

Every time I see those Kii's in a round, they're getting massacred.  I rarely see one do well, and I never see one carry.

Members
505 posts
9,342 battles
9 hours ago, Dodgy_Cookies said:

It's a worse Amagi. Has better AA and torps, but worse torp bulge and accuracy. Mediocre ship. Best T8 premium BB is still Alabama atm. 

Alabama is gud but I'll take the Tirpitz over it. 

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,448 posts
5,425 battles

Kii is okay. It is a worse Amagi in the vast majority of situations, but the AA and torpedoes can be situationally useful. Kii is not a "bad" ship by any stretch of the imagination. Quite a well-balanced premium actually.

[NWNG]
Members
2,767 posts
4,643 battles

I have heard good and bad things about her. The only thing I ask, is that if you do get her, DO NOT make the mistake of believing that she is capable of duking it out with other battleships with those secondaries. 100mms are primarily AA batteries, so just because they are listed as secondary batteries as well, means nothing. If you wish for those 100mms to duke it out more often, then you need to invest 4 commander points for IFHE.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
12 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Do you love the Amagi that much to throw away $55 bucks for its clone?

Edited by Ulthwey

Members
376 posts
5 battles
21 hours ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

KII is a great ship, a fast battleship to her core. If you like Kongo you will love KII, they both play the same. Which is not surprising since KII is basically a what if of Amagi a battlecruiser like Kongo was latter made a fast battleship. 

you're actually wrong in that the kii was not related to the amagi in any way but appearance. She was part of the 8-8 program, taking up the battleship aspect of it in the form of a fast battleship unlike amagi which filled the role of battlecruiser. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

The KII is just something to play.  If you need a T8 IJN BB she's pretty much all you have.  If you just want a premium BB get the Musa for free.  It's very adequate for any needs.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,154 posts
17,521 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 8:42 AM, YamatoA150 said:

Instead of just keeping the same gunnery performance as Amagi, they chose to nerf it alongside the armor and TDS, all in exchange for very situational torpedoes, and so-so AA. It's decent for the IJN, but overall AA performance isn't much better than NC (unless one only cares about long-range AA).

Kii has issues, but her AA is magnificent and can compete with High Tier USN BBs in AA capability.  It's definitely not "so-so AA."

Meanwhile lower tier CVs absolutely can trash an Amagi, much less equal or higher tier CVs like Enterprise, Taiho, Hakuryu.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this