You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

Opinions on the Grand Tour?

6 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles

Hopefully I wont start another flame war, but I have been wondering about peoples opinions about The Grand Tour.  Last year, I saw dozens of commercials advertising it, but season 2 has appear to slipped under the radar, so I'm wondering if anyone still watches the ol' Top Gear team?  How does it match up to Top Gear back when they were still on it?

58726418f3a71010b5e8eeef.png

[SOUP]
Privateers
8,282 posts

It has Clarkson, it has May, it has Hammond.... what else is there to say about it?
Season 2 didn't really strike as hard as the first season did, mainly because they had to change up a few things, but it took Top Gear a few seasons to find it's stride, they didn't even have all three of the usual suspects at first.
Top Gear too is starting to find it's post-****storm balance from what I've heard, not the juggernaut it used to be but it's at least watchable now that LeBlanc has the reigns.
Meanwhile over at Grand Tour, they stopped moving the tent around the world and have it in Clarkson's backyard... no really, his sheep photobomb the set all the time out the window.
They have twice the guest-stars show up (Paris Hillton was a pretty big shock... I didn't know she could read let alone drive...) and they replaced "The American" with an as of yet unnamed woman. I guess people were getting butthurt about the American stereotypes which were honestly entirely true given who he was and what he does...
I'd give it a pass and a watch (or another in my case)

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,203 posts
4,951 battles

I've enjoyed TGT so far as well as most versions of Top Gear. I haven't watched the latter since Clarkson and the team left and doubt I will. I really miss the American variant.

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles
1 hour ago, Chobittsu said:

It has Clarkson, it has May, it has Hammond.... what else is there to say about it?
Season 2 didn't really strike as hard as the first season did, mainly because they had to change up a few things, but it took Top Gear a few seasons to find it's stride, they didn't even have all three of the usual suspects at first.
Top Gear too is starting to find it's post-****storm balance from what I've heard, not the juggernaut it used to be but it's at least watchable now that LeBlanc has the reigns.
Meanwhile over at Grand Tour, they stopped moving the tent around the world and have it in Clarkson's backyard... no really, his sheep photobomb the set all the time out the window.
They have twice the guest-stars show up (Paris Hillton was a pretty big shock... I didn't know she could read let alone drive...) and they replaced "The American" with an as of yet unnamed woman. I guess people were getting butthurt about the American stereotypes which were honestly entirely true given who he was and what he does...
I'd give it a pass and a watch (or another in my case)

Personally for me, Top Gear peaked, around Season 6-18, and I still rewatch those episodes every so often.  I found a general rule that the more your aware of the camera man and the production crew, the better the episode was, because of just how unpredictable and overly ambitious everything was.  Towards the end, Top Gear started to feel painfully scripted, I remember the Burma Special involved Clarkson doing something "supposedly" dangerous to May with his lorry, but May clearly disappears from the camera shot, so you could tell it was entirely scripted, and they started bickering with each other in an entirely manufactured conflict, which was just painful to watch.  There was a time you actually saw the Three working on the cars during a challenge, but as the series went on, you could tell they hired other people to work on the cars for them.

Now I gave Grand Tour season 1 a shot, but I stopped half way because I noticed how much they were trying to not be Top Gear, with the false celebrity cameos and false challenges (I thought a Mad Max challenge would be been interesting, but instead the gag is that Clarkson has a tank...I guess?)  I could chalk that up to growing pains.  So I guess the question I want to ask is, is season 2 more, improvised?  That's really what I found most enjoyable about Top Gear.

Edited by Sventex

[SOUP]
Privateers
8,282 posts
18 minutes ago, Sventex said:

There are a few scenes that are obviously scripted, like back in season one how they shot at Hammond with naval artillery, but for the most part it's okay.  The celeb cameos are now actual segments, where instead of it being a reasonably priced car, they go head-to-head on a half-rally-half-tarmac track for the quickest lap of [insert wildly obscure connection here]. They kept Conversation Street, they interact with the audience, in the last episode of the season they try to transport fish across Africa, it goes about as well as you'd expect.
Some bits are scripted but then you have events like the Rimac crash which turn everything on its head and effect subsequent episodes. The biggest thing I dislike is that the tent is immobile now, they might as well just use a studio at that point. But these three have a chemistry, scripted or not, that you just can't get anywhere else outside of Pigeon_of_War and breadcrumbs

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

If you enjoyed Clarkson, Hammond, and May on Top Gear then you will like Grand Tour - it's essentially the same thing they have always done albeit in a cosmetically different format. Yes most of the bits are scripted, but that has been the case for many years. The personalities are the same. Season 2 just finished and it was certainly watchable, even when predictable.

Meanwhile Top Gear seems to be finding it's footing in the 2nd season with new hosts - the first year was a mess but it has stabilized into a pretty enjoyable watch, and the hosts have a more youthful energy than CH&M in their latter years.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger