Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
w4spl3g

Seriously, why are USN torpedo tubes so fragile?

17 comments in this topic

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Maybe it's just me, and I don't have nearly as many games in my USN DDs as I do the IJN/KM/even PA ones, but my Gearing and Fletcher seem to lose torpedo tubes far more often than anything else I play. I don't just mean incapacitated, that happens to all of my DDs, I mean destroyed completely. Even with reload booster/main armaments mods, which should hypothetically cancel each other out, and Preventative Maintenance, this happens quite frequently crippling my effectiveness for the remainder of the game.

Are they just lower HP? Does it have to do with angles? Am I getting some kind of confirmation bias? I almost never lose torp tubes on any other DD I play but for these it happens regularly. I guess I'm asking, what am I doing wrong or is this just a national trait?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
43 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

If you are relying on your torpedo tubes in a USN DD you're doing it wrong. 

*shrug* I play mine as torp boats and gun when I can. Play style opinions weren't really what I was asking for, I was hoping for data, but thanks anyway.

[SF-A]
Members
3,007 posts
6,339 battles

Perhaps you're just being shot more. USN DDs can have very aggressive playstyles, which leads to being visible and taking hits and thus losing tubes. IJN/KM/PA DDs in particular are good at staying hidden where they won't be shot at.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
3 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

There is no armor on them and they are exposed on the deck of the ship

That's true for all of them though.

1 minute ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Perhaps you're just being shot more. USN DDs can have very aggressive playstyles, which leads to being visible and taking hits and thus losing tubes. IJN/KM/PA DDs in particular are good at staying hidden where they won't be shot at.

That's possible. KM is pretty aggressive too but both KM and USN (except Gearing) have shorter concealment vs torp range windows than IJN/PA do, Fletcher is inside radar range for Russians and barely outside it for US CA/CLs while trying to torp.

I have noticed it's almost always when I'm running away, and the launcher closer to the stern. Of my IJN DDs the one I lose the most torp launchers on is the Akizuki and it's by far the most aggressive of them so you're probably on to something.

• Cool 1

Members
559 posts
2,601 battles

All torp launchers are squishy. Every other salvo I ko a torp launcher. Problem is they get fixed in 30 seconds, or maybe have already launched torps. Other problem, I only ko'd one, and the ship might have two or three.

[5D5]
Members
2,677 posts
16,105 battles
20 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

*shrug* I play mine as torp boats and gun when I can. Play style opinions weren't really what I was asking for, I was hoping for data, but thanks anyway.

Agreed, anyone saying Fletcher and Gearing are not torp boats either doesn't play DD or doesn't know how to play them.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
2,775 posts
9,201 battles

I haven't noticed USN DD tubes as being more fragile than anyone else, however ever since British BB HE spam was introduced, i find that torpedo tube total destruction has gone up quite substantially.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,724 battles
20 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

This is bad advice for Fletcher and Gearing.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,205 posts
17,569 battles
28 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

This is bad advice for Fletcher and Gearing.

Benson also.  From Tier VIII on, USN DD torps are good to go for a variety of uses.  Even better, their concealment finally can let the USN DDs use their torps to their full potential.  This is nothing at all like the decent torps on Mahan that are straddled on a gargantuan DD with sh*t concealment.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF2]
Members
287 posts
5,673 battles
On 3/24/2018 at 10:02 PM, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Lol wut

I run my Gearing and Fletcher as torp boats and I'm pretty happy with the performance

[STP]
Beta Testers
3,199 posts
12,331 battles

If you get shooted in a DD by a bb/cl for destroy your torpedos you're doing something wrong.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,419 posts
3,895 battles
On 3/24/2018 at 7:02 PM, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Considering Fletcher and Gearing are better torpedo boats than Yuugumo or Shimakaze, it's not an incorrect way to play them.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[CUTER]
Members
3,858 posts
17,877 battles

What is your captain build and upgrades mounted on these ships?

Beta Testers
179 posts
6,100 battles
On 3/24/2018 at 10:02 PM, Incendiary_Tanker said:

lol

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
On 3/24/2018 at 9:55 PM, w4spl3g said:

Maybe it's just me, and I don't have nearly as many games in my USN DDs as I do the IJN/KM/even PA ones, but my Gearing and Fletcher seem to lose torpedo tubes far more often than anything else I play. I don't just mean incapacitated, that happens to all of my DDs, I mean destroyed completely. Even with reload booster/main armaments mods, which should hypothetically cancel each other out, and Preventative Maintenance, this happens quite frequently crippling my effectiveness for the remainder of the game.

Are they just lower HP? Does it have to do with angles? Am I getting some kind of confirmation bias? I almost never lose torp tubes on any other DD I play but for these it happens regularly. I guess I'm asking, what am I doing wrong or is this just a national trait?

I keep thinking of that scene from the movie A Christmas Story.......Fragile......it must be Italian!

Sign in to follow this