Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fastwolf66

Best cap conquest DD by tier?

15 comments in this topic

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
281 posts
9,829 battles

Hi, just wondering which is in your opinion the best cap contender DD by tier, please, and why. Sonar/Radar, NO deep torps, decent guns, good HP

TIer X: Z52? Gearing? Grozovoi?

Tier IX: Fletcher? Z46?

Tiex VIII: Lo yang? (hydro) kidd? (heal, fletcher on tier VIII, but only 1 torp launcher) Akizuki (slow, but those guns...)

VII: Gadjah? (deep torps, but excellent guns) Mahan? Blyska?

Thanks

[SALVO]
Members
20,049 posts
19,944 battles

Good question.

It probably usually comes down to German and USN DDs.  The PA DDs are pretty much like the USN ones, but lack normal torps, which is a negative when it comes to cap brawling.  At tier 8, the Akizuki is definitely a wild card with her awesome guns.  And I wouldn't entirely overlook the HSF Harekaze with the 100mm guns, because while she doesn't have as many of them as the Aki, she does have a second torp launcher.  I wouldn't say that that puts her ahead of the Aki, but the Harekaze isn't a DD to be underestimated either.

At tier 7, I'm not really fond of the Blys as a cap brawler, compared to USN DDs, due to her lower RoF.  The Blys is better off keeping the range open.  At tier 7, I'd probably stick with the Mahan or Sims.

I'll be interested to see what other people think on this question.

Members
1,201 posts
3,156 battles

Akizuki can knife fight higher tier destroyers and win because of her insane gun DPM (especially coupled with IFHE) and health pool combo. 

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I have only 2 of the Russian DDs, and I greatly prefer torpedo boats to gun boats in general, and I mostly play T8+, so keep that in mind. I'm almost mostly looking at this from the perspective of an initial cap start of the game 1 v 1.

V: Gremyaschy, fast, monster guns (firestarters), good torps, conceal sucks but it's not as huge of a deal at lower tiers, still has smoke. Or Kamikaze, insanely good conceal, fast reload/speed torps (short range but good enough because of the concealment on the ship), hard hitting but [edited] RoF/traverse on guns.

VI: Fubuki/Shinonome these are pretty similar or Farragut. My memory on these is a bit hazy as I rarely play T6 DDs, but similar to above, Farragut can dance while firing, others have more stealth. Gaede doesn't have hydro.

VII: Leningrad is good because it's so fast it can float around the map and steal caps even with its bad concealment .. I have a Blys but have very few games in it, same for Sims, Gadjah Mada was excellent to play in general, all around is probably Mahan though because the USN is good at everything.

VIII: This is a really tough one. My personal favorite and most played ship at tier is Harekaze, it has the stealth to contest and torp reload if you want to spam guesses with radio location or run away with smoke, with the B hull it has 75% of the DPS of the Akizuki but its no gun boat so sticking around for a fight is rarely an option (especially at the start), Akizuki can even gun down some T10s and has decent health .. but its not agile or fast, but it brings its own air cover which is nice albeit situational. Benson/Kidd are both excellent and worthy choices. I have the Loyang and Z23 but I don't do that well with either one, Loyang has good hydro but feels sitting in smoke is radar/torp bait and rarely worth it. There is so much radar at high tiers the German camp-in-smoke-with-hydro play style is practically useless most of the time.

IX: Fletcher. Fletcher has fast torps with low detection on them, good concealment, good guns, good smoke, I liked mine so much I'm working on a dedicated captain for it right now. Z46 isn't a bad choice but its efficacy has taken a hit for the reasons above.

X: I play all of the T10 DDs except a Khab. Shimakaze is my most played ship, I hit over 700 games in it today, that said for straight up cap contesting, the only thing I run from is a Khab or a Z52 with hydro up, so probably those. Z52 has the smoke/hydro combo with fast torps that reload pretty quickly, they don't do huge damage though so you're not likely to 1 shot some other DD but you can make it easier to finish them. The AP is good, the HE is meh, which makes fighting most other DDs hard since AP will over pen - the problem as with all of the German DDs, is that you have to be up close, already spotted, to use your combo and you are almost certainly going to get [edited]-dar-ed to death. The Khab is a cruiser, it's designed to dominate everything because Soviet Bias. The only time I've been able to beat Khabs in a gun fight at a cap is if I can get them to eat torps or they're already low on health.

$.02

Capping is something you need to do frequently as a DD, but dying while doing it is often not worth it, so cap fighting is usually touch and go with someone running away in a hurry (start of the game, usually that's whoever doesn't have support and just got radared and lost half their health to a single BB AP volley).

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Huh? Gaede has Hydro so I might worry about some of that other info....

Germans got the cap game on lock down if captains are of equal skill. @ Tier 8 Lo Yang has it in the bag though. Can't hit what you can't see, and Hydro makes it so.

• Cool 1

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

5: Gremy, not because it's actually better, but because the player in it knows what to do.

6: Farragut, nothing else has the combo of DPM, torps, and concealment.

7: Gadja Mada, the three forward rotating guns with absurd DPM and only a 10 second break in smoke makes this ship rather OP

8: (prepare the torches and pitchforks) Kidd is the clear winner with high HP DPM and a heal, as well as solid stealth and agility. Akizuki is too fat and slow despite having the highest DPM. In the realistic situation where it's not a pure 1v1, outside damage is a real concern.

9-10: Z class. Hydro, and proficient in everything else.

Supertester
2,169 posts
9,234 battles

Generally the best cap contesters in terms of DDs is determined by the map you're playing on. Ships like the Z-52 can be lethal cap bullies on maps like Hotspot or North where the caps themselves are much smaller in size compared to others like The Atlantic where the cap circles are massive, which makes a huge difference in the hydro effectiveness. In general though, the rule of thumb is that a Z52 is generally the ship you want to avoid, as well as any german DD at tier VIII or IX, especially on maps with the aforementioned small cap circles

[SIDE]
Members
2,090 posts

Any dd with hydro trumps any dd without. Any dd with two forward firing turrets trumps any without. Any Dd that can out turn all others at its tier will give anything else a run for its money.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,556 posts
10,398 battles

It really depends on the DD player but in term of ship I would say :

T7: Maass is definitely my top pick.  She actually has great concealment compared to other DD and Hydro. The second one would be probably Sims.

T8: Well it's a tricky question here. Last ranked season, Lo Yang made created a massive mess because of her German T10 hydro but personnally I'm more afraid of an Akizuki in a cap than a Lo Yang or Z-23. For me I would say Lo Yang and Z-23 both at the first place then Akizuki.

T9 : German one once again because she has Hydro and good concealment (actually better concealment than Z 23 ). Then you have Fletcher and Black. Yuugumo isn't the best cap contester but if you know where to prepare your gun, you can actually use your concealment to cap.

T10: Z-52. You finally have access to this massive German Hydro allowing you to equalize concealment. If a Z-52 decides to push a cap, the only thing you can do as a DD is torps him to slow and kill him if he potato then run away / wait for a radar ship to counter him. His concealment isn't great but his hydro and when it's active it can basically cover the entire cap. He just has to push, hydro and smoke.  After Z52 Gearing is the second best cap contester.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
4 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Any dd with hydro trumps any dd without. Any dd with two forward firing turrets trumps any without. Any Dd that can out turn all others at its tier will give anything else a run for its money.

I prefer 52 to 46 mostly due to turrets. It just works better for me. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,185 posts
10,516 battles
3 hours ago, Canadatron said:

I prefer 52 to 46 mostly due to turrets. It just works better for me. 

52 I have as a gunboat build.

46 I have as a torpedo build.

I personally like the 46 layout. The one rear turret has a really good forward firing arc. The two rear turrets gives you great firepower when you have to run from a cap.

On top of that, I don't fit the upgraded fire control. 10k gun bloom means you disappear easier on the 46.

[O_O]
Members
5,012 posts
11,255 battles

The German DD's have good guns, good torps, and HYDRO.  Other DD's might have better guns and/or better torps, but when it comes to DD vs. DD in a cap fight, hydro is a HUGE advantage. 

I also have good results with Akizuki.  Her slow speed can be mitigated if you know how to drive her.  Her low number of torps can be mitigated a couple of times per game with TRB.  Her guns, however...yikes.  With IFHE she is just a DPM monster.

Edited by desmo_2

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
4 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

52 I have as a gunboat build.

46 I have as a torpedo build.

I personally like the 46 layout. The one rear turret has a really good forward firing arc. The two rear turrets gives you great firepower when you have to run from a cap.

On top of that, I don't fit the upgraded fire control. 10k gun bloom means you disappear easier on the 46.

Now that I'm out of the 46 grind wise I might go back and revisit it, see if I can't make it work better. Sometimes when I grind them out I just tunnel vision and get them done, which is kinda evident in my 23 and 46 stats. I'll sort em out.

Sign in to follow this