Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ddoubletapp1

Clear Sky In The Baltimore.

11 comments in this topic

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles

A pretty rare achievement, for me - I believe I only have two to my credit (the other earned in USS Texas).

Baltimore shows how she is capable of strongly influencing the match outcome, as she shreds attack squadrons, punishes an aggressive DD - and effectively contests arguably the most strategically important caps on this map (a breakthrough at this cap generally allows the schwerpunkt to have liberal flanking fire on any ships holding the A and B caps).

And she looks good doing it!

Hope you enjoy it.  I'm not sure why the Youtube screen shot is wrong - but the video appears to be correct and working when played.

Edited by ddoubletapp1
  • Cool 2

Alpha Tester
394 posts
9,687 battles

The rear of that "vehicle"  in the pic appears to be nicely padded.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,347 posts
17,682 battles

Nice work, pretty rare to get Clear Sky with a surface ship outside of low tiers.  I'm kind of horrified that the Hiryu player kept on sending planes towards your Baltimore, the worst possible place he could send his planes to.  Richelieu (most French BBs don't AA spec), Charles Martel, Schors in the north... Anybody but a Baltimore with Tier IX AA would have been a better target for the Tier VII CV to go after.

That spot you went to early on is great for USN Cruisers, provided you have a decent enough team to keep the flanks secure or at the very least contested.  But your team rolled the other team hard, so that wasn't an issue at all.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Nice work, pretty rare to get Clear Sky with a surface ship outside of low tiers.  I'm kind of horrified that the Hiryu player kept on sending planes towards your Baltimore, the worst possible place he could send his planes to.  Richelieu (most French BBs don't AA spec), Charles Martel, Schors in the north... Anybody but a Baltimore with Tier IX AA would have been a better target for the Tier VII CV to go after.

That spot you went to early on is great for USN Cruisers, provided you have a decent enough team to keep the flanks secure or at the very least contested.  But your team rolled the other team hard, so that wasn't an issue at all.

It seemed like an odd strategy to me, as well - and as you say - its a strong position for a USN cruiser.  I'm pretty sure I got called out as a priority target pretty early in the match, given the  focus of the KMS DD, the Gneis, the Saint Louis and all the airplanes.

If the attacks had been coordinated rather than piecemeal - I would have been at much more risk, but a top tier cruiser with good AA, radar, and effective HE and AP alpha can hold that position quite comfortably if its only a ship at a time making the attacks.

I think the CV player taking up a position in D cap tempted him into trying to remove me, rather than fly his squadrons around my AA range to get to A and b caps.  Once he'd lost 30 or so planes, I think it became a bit of a point of stubbornness.  His effective cross-drop near the end of the match shows him to be a relatively experienced CV commander - so its doubtful it was done in ignorance.

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles

Hey

Great job man, that was a fun video to watch.  I bet that carrier driver was upset with you, LOL.  

Pete

P.S.  Great job also on the Tirpitz video of almost 179K and 4 kills.

Edited by sasquatch_research
  • Cool 1

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles

Nice, but to be honest, the only way a surface ship gets a Clear Sky award is if the opposing CV is stupid.  Particularly at upper levels, where Clear Sky count has to include all the spotter plane/fighters launched off of various ships, you really have to have a CV that has a death wish to attack you, in order to get a Clear Sky.

Remember, at T8, you're looking at a minimum of 50 planes you have to shoot down. And if a CV is burning that many planes on a ship that obviously has hard-core AA, that's the definition of dumb.

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles
10 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Nice, but to be honest, the only way a surface ship gets a Clear Sky award is if the opposing CV is stupid.  Particularly at upper levels, where Clear Sky count has to include all the spotter plane/fighters launched off of various ships, you really have to have a CV that has a death wish to attack you, in order to get a Clear Sky.

Remember, at T8, you're looking at a minimum of 50 planes you have to shoot down. And if a CV is burning that many planes on a ship that obviously has hard-core AA, that's the definition of dumb.

Hey

Does it really matter who the carrier captain is; don't minimize what doubletapp did in this game.  Do you look down on yourself each time you go up against a potato or worse yet when you do something potato like.  I make mistakes like anyone else.  How many clear sky awards have you made?  The fact is, he earned the clear sky award for his achievements and it should be accepted for that fact alone.

Pete

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
7,892 battles
9 hours ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Does it really matter who the carrier captain is; don't minimize what doubletapp did in this game.  Do you look down on yourself each time you go up against a potato or worse yet when you do something potato like.  I make mistakes like anyone else.  How many clear sky awards have you made?  The fact is, he earned the clear sky award for his achievements and it should be accepted for that fact alone.

Pete

My point is that this is much less of a function of anything an individual player receiving the Clear Sky did, and mostly a function of an idiot opponent. 

It's sad that's the case. 

And "awards" aren't some sort of achievement, they're just an indicator you passed some arbitrary metric. I can get a Kraken by causing 5 points of damage.  It's nice that he got his, because they're so rare, but it's not a particular indication of any significant skill.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,347 posts
17,682 battles
On 3/25/2018 at 4:51 PM, ddoubletapp1 said:

It seemed like an odd strategy to me, as well - and as you say - its a strong position for a USN cruiser.  I'm pretty sure I got called out as a priority target pretty early in the match, given the  focus of the KMS DD, the Gneis, the Saint Louis and all the airplanes.

If the attacks had been coordinated rather than piecemeal - I would have been at much more risk, but a top tier cruiser with good AA, radar, and effective HE and AP alpha can hold that position quite comfortably if its only a ship at a time making the attacks.

I think the CV player taking up a position in D cap tempted him into trying to remove me, rather than fly his squadrons around my AA range to get to A and b caps.  Once he'd lost 30 or so planes, I think it became a bit of a point of stubbornness.  His effective cross-drop near the end of the match shows him to be a relatively experienced CV commander - so its doubtful it was done in ignorance.

Yeah, it has to take a forceful push to come around those corners and remove the USN Cruiser.  Usually the threat of a DD keeps the reds in check.  Combine a few BBs 10km or so nearby, then it usually keeps most people from trying to go for you.  Just your USN Cruiser over there having Radar keeps the center of the map locked down and makes DDs wary on pushing.  Their torpedo launch windows become narrow and annoying with the big island and your radar preventing them from coming through for wider target selection.

But the CV, man, he just kept coming.  I mean, f-ck man, I'd rather send my Tier VII CV planes against an AA Lyon, Richelieu, NC / 'Bama than I would a Baltimore.

Members
760 posts
7,021 battles
On 3/27/2018 at 5:05 PM, EAnybody said:

My point is that this is much less of a function of anything an individual player receiving the Clear Sky did, and mostly a function of an idiot opponent. 

It's sad that's the case. 

And "awards" aren't some sort of achievement, they're just an indicator you passed some arbitrary metric. I can get a Kraken by causing 5 points of damage.  It's nice that he got his, because they're so rare, but it's not a particular indication of any significant skill.

True that.

The only other CS I have was in Texas - I believe it was the first week it was out (first premium I purchased).  There was a lot of hype about it's OP AA - but apparently, not all the CV drivers got the memo in the first week - ha ha!

Just like in the Baltimore replay - that poor guy just kept flying his squadrons into the meat grinder.  Try and get a squadron to overfly the Texas, now - as rare as a double CV match  while sailing an AA spec Cleveland (although if I take a torp dd into the queue, its a guaranteed 4 CV match).

No skill involved at all - but I'll take those flags, and I thought it made for an interesting replay.

Sign in to follow this