Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ricky_Racer

New USN Cruiser Split ... Captian's Build ... Ideas ??

7 comments in this topic

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
812 battles

Curious. I usually, 99% of the time, play Battleships. So, I am going to try Cruisers for awhile.

I've read the WIKI & ShipComrade builds.

With the new split for the USN Cruisers coming up, I'm curious what build might be good.

I am short of money (not ashamed to admit, so can't really afford the doubloons)

Any real help from experienced, knowledgeable Cruiser players would be welcomed.

Is Concealment really a must for for 10 to 12 point Captain? Tier 6 -8? Is IFHE needed if DE already taken?

Just curious what would be best.

Thanks

Edited by Ricky_Racer

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,319 battles

IFHE will be absolutely essential. The guns stay 152mm for the entire line, so you should get it first thing at the start and worry about anything else later.

Concealment is important for cruisers, especially front line ambushers and island campers like these ones look to be. Get that immediately once you have 14 points.

Beyond that, my first picks would be Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush (we don't know their turret rotation yet, so maybe Expert Marksman will be needed), Demolition Expert and then IFHE of course.

Useful but not necessary skills might be Vigilance (since the Worcester at least must choose between radar and hydro), Superintendent will be very important on the tier 8+ ships and maybe Advanced Firing Training would be useful to extend the range of your defensive AA.

In any case, I think my current cleveland/atlanta captain is pretty well set up for this line already. If you're unsure about anything, just test how it feels on the current cleveland and that should give you a pretty good idea about how it's going to work on the new line.

• Cool 1

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
812 battles
7 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

IFHE will be absolutely essential. The guns stay 152mm for the entire line, so you should get it first thing at the start and worry about anything else later.

Concealment is important for cruisers, especially front line ambushers and island campers like these ones look to be. Get that immediately once you have 14 points.

Beyond that, my first picks would be Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush (we don't know their turret rotation yet, so maybe Expert Marksman will be needed), Demolition Expert and then IFHE of course.

Useful but not necessary skills might be Vigilance (since the Worcester at least must choose between radar and hydro), Superintendent will be very important on the tier 8+ ships and maybe Advanced Firing Training would be useful to extend the range of your defensive AA.

In any case, I think my current cleveland/atlanta captain is pretty well set up for this line already. If you're unsure about anything, just test how it feels on the current cleveland and that should give you a pretty good idea about how it's going to work on the new line.

I am SO curious about AR. I mean, %.2 reload, that's 2 tenths reload of 1% health? We already have a fast reload, and I figure if we are getting hit, our guns won't really help much. (Always been a little more fearful of this one) (I understand the need for a BB build, but a Cruiser)

But, beside that, Concealment before IFHE?

[MIA-P]
Members
665 posts
6,319 battles
Just now, Ricky_Racer said:

I am SO curious about AR. I mean, %.2 reload, that's 2 tenths reload of 1% health? We already have a fast reload, and I figure if we are getting hit, our guns won't really help much. (Always been a little more fearful of this one) (I understand the need for a BB build, but a Cruiser)

But, beside that, Concealment before IFHE?

My opinion is IFHE before concealment. The main use of concealment in these ships is to get you into those nice island-camping positions, but at lower tiers that's going to be fairly possible even if you get spotted. So I'd go IFHE and then get concealment for the higher tiers.

AR gives you 20% faster reload once you've taken 100% damage. That's quite a bit on any ship, but particularly on DPM-focused cruisers, and especially on island-camping cruisers which are often able to survive for quite a long time, even on very low health. Plus, there aren't that many other 2-point skills which are particularly useful for cruisers, especially for cruisers who already have high turret rotation.

[-V-]
Members
217 posts
812 battles
1 hour ago, senseNOTmade said:

AR gives you 20% faster reload once you've taken 100% damage.

20% or .2%

According to the Capt's build? I think it says .2%.

That's quite a bit of a difference.

OK. NM. But if you lost 100% health you're dead.

Edited by Ricky_Racer

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,436 posts
20,975 battles

2 hours ago, Ricky_Racer said:

Curious. I usually, 99% of the time, play Battleships. So, I am going to try Cruisers for awhile.

I've read the WIKI & ShipComrade builds.

With the new split for the USN Cruisers coming up, I'm curious what build might be good.

I am short of money (not ashamed to admit, so can't really afford the doubloons)

Any real help from experienced, knowledgeable Cruiser players would be welcomed.

Is Concealment really a must for for 10 to 12 point Captain? Tier 6 -8? Is IFHE needed if DE already taken?

Just curious what would be best.

Thanks

Ricky_Racer   I've sent you three gifts to help you out with your cruisers good luck with them.  Now I'm back to WOTs since the new engine upgrade they've done there .   

• Cool 2

Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,019 posts
267 battles
1 hour ago, senseNOTmade said:

(we don't know their turret rotation yet, so maybe Expert Marksman will be needed)

Dev blogs for the ships showed 22.5 second (8 degree) traverse for tier VI-IX, Worcester is 7.2 second (25 degree) traverse

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this