You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Another one of my brilliant ideas. Mutiny!

23 comments in this topic

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles

OK mutiny has a long and storied history in the legend and lore of the sea. Use it in the game.  Why?  How? No one likes back line campers nor ships that do NOTHING....don't push don't fight etc. After a period of time doing nothing (not sure how long...3-4 min maybe) some the crew, being brave and wanting to fight, would MUTINY against the cowardly captain/player. The ship would then become a bot completely out of the control of the player. Bots fight.  Be like a co-op bot.  Ship would then head into the fray and get moving. Player could take back control of the ship by pushing the M or mutiny key which would unleash crewmen still loyal to him and after a 3 min God awful fight with decks awash in blood and gore would regain control of his ship as the mutineers are defeated, but for 3 min player has no control over his ship. This idea of mine would punish back line campers/snipers and at least get the ship moving as a bot to the fight.  Send player a message! Mutiny of crew!  YES!  Would send a message to the "I don't want my paint scratched" types. Great idea right?  Right?  I still have not worked out all the kinks but I just know this forum will get behind me on this with positive input.  I just know it. :Smile_popcorn:  Comments?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,528 posts

Let me say I like the idea. But then you know darn well people will figure out what they need to do as a minimum to get around the "automatic sanction". Then you have ships which might legitimately be "camping" in an ambush, as reds are approaching but taking their good sweet time about it.

Someone yesterday suggested the "zone" other games use, I think like PUBG or such, where the outer boundaries shrink after X amount of time. Maybe even after X number of ships were sunk (in addition).

Maybe some combination of both would work? 

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles

Amusing thought but I foresee bad reviews. There has to be something to make Randoms more fun so +1.

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
21 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

:Smile_facepalm:

Well I said it needed some tweaking.  Heh. :Smile_honoring: 

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
29 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Let me say I like the idea. But then you know darn well people will figure out what they need to do as a minimum to get around the "automatic sanction". Then you have ships which might legitimately be "camping" in an ambush, as reds are approaching but taking their good sweet time about it.

Someone yesterday suggested the "zone" other games use, I think like PUBG or such, where the outer boundaries shrink after X amount of time. Maybe even after X number of ships were sunk (in addition).

Maybe some combination of both would work? 

Good input. Dunno.  My idea is still on the drawing board. :Smile_sad:

• Boring 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
37 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Amusing thought but I foresee bad reviews. There has to be something to make Randoms more fun so +1.

Ya.  A "mutiny" period of time where the player loses control of his ship would be interesting. Ya see....the BIG POINT here is that while the player has to take time to defeat the mutiny the ship will become a fighting Bot. That's better than a player just sitting on his azz behind the cap.  Them bots fight and their guns are accurate so at least you would get some production out of a ship that heretofore had done NOTHING....for an extended length of time. If you are doing nothing ya might as well not be in the game. Hurts your team and leaves them short on "fighting" ships......result.....often defeat. Carry on mate.

Edited by dmckay
  • Boring 1

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles
11 minutes ago, dmckay said:

If you are doing nothing ya might as well not be in the game.

I would like to see that if a ship doesn't move after 30 seconds that it becomes a bot until the captain can take control of it. I made a thread about it a long time ago. If for some reason some one had to go AFK for any reason (there are very legitimate ones) It would be nice if they could hit a bot button and let the ship be autonomous during the time they are away. Maybe add to their dispersion or something while it is under AI control. It wouldn't be a total deficit to the team then at least.

• Cool 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

I would like to see that if a ship doesn't move after 30 seconds that it becomes a bot until the captain can take control of it. I made a thread about it a long time ago. If for some reason some one had to go AFK for any reason (there are very legitimate ones) It would be nice if they could hit a bot button and let the ship be autonomous during the time they are away. Maybe add to their dispersion or something while it is under AI control. It wouldn't be a total deficit to the team then at least.

Interesting.  I don't think just 30 secs is long enough to deem a CAPTAIN a no good cowardly cur who should never have been promoted to command of a fighting vessel however.  I suggested maybe 3 min. Or make it 2 min. Tks.  This concept, as I said, is still in it's infancy and will probably remain there since as ya know we ARE dealing with WG.:Smile_glasses: 

• Boring 1

Members
454 posts
8,650 battles

Cyclones are a game mechanic intended to force close quarters combat and that gets slammed, so there are disgruntled people in all possible realities.

I don’t have an issue with BBs sniping : camping, if it isn’t appropriate for the situation it can result in poor outcomes no different than any other thing any other ship does within their game that would be questionable.

Its just a game

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles
16 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I don't think just 30 secs is long enough to deem a CAPTAIN a no good cowardly cur who should never have been promoted to command of a fighting vessel however.

I am talking AFK and the guns haven't even shifted yet. I get booted from the game often when in a division and have to restart the game, I have a fast computer and get back in usually about 10 to 15 seconds late when this happens. People with slower systems take up to a minute and a half or more, to get into the battle and by that time if they didn't move it would be too late sometimes. They should regain full control the moment they are back in though.

How about every ship starts in AI until you touch a control? It probably couldn't be the same AI as the YOLO bots.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
1 minute ago, Visidious said:

Cyclones are a game mechanic intended to force close quarters combat and that gets slammed, so there are disgruntled people in all possible realities.

I don’t have an issue with BBs sniping : camping, if it isn’t appropriate for the situation it can result in poor outcomes no different than any other thing any other ship does within their game that would be questionable.

Its just a game

I do have a BIG issue with BBs camping when I see it's a deliberate tactic so as not to risk your ship.  These types like to let the true warriors head out and do the dirty work hoping that they manage to get a lead and then they enter the fight late in the game for some easy damage and kills.....mop up.  I been playing this game long enough that I can spot these types in a heartbeat. It's the ONE thing that really irks me. It's selfish and often leads to defeat....I fight....not so good much of the time but I try cause I do like to win. Some seem to not care so much about victory.  I like victory! Victory is accomplished by all your ships fighting.  I don't mind caution but when I see it's more than just that I get disgusted. 

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
9 minutes ago, Visidious said:

Its just a game

It is indeed just a game but it's not much of a game when players will not do their duty for their team. It's a sham game when that happens.

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I am talking AFK and the guns haven't even shifted yet. I get booted from the game often when in a division and have to restart the game, I have a fast computer and get back in usually about 10 to 15 seconds late when this happens. People with slower systems take up to a minute and a half or more, to get into the battle and by that time if they didn't move it would be too late sometimes. They should regain full control the moment they are back in though.

OK.  See your point!

Members
454 posts
8,650 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

I do have a BIG issue with BBs camping when I see it's a deliberate tactic so as not to risk your ship.  These types like to let the true warriors head out and do the dirty work hoping that they manage to get a lead and then they enter the fight late in the game for some easy damage and kills.....mop up.  I been playing this game long enough that I can spot these types in a heartbeat. It's the ONE thing that really irks me. It's selfish and often leads to defeat....I fight....not so good much of the time but I try cause I do like to win. Some seem to not care so much about victory.  I like victory! Victory is accomplished by all your ships fighting.  I don't mind caution but when I see it's more than just that I get disgusted. 

I agree with you and it bothers me too, but I think there are a lot of bad decisions / plays that are expected in random matches.

Maybe try to communicate with these people you may be able to influence some of them.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,152 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

OK mutiny has a long and storied history in the legend and lore of the sea. Use it in the game.  Why?  How? No one likes back line campers nor ships that do NOTHING....don't push don't fight etc. After a period of time doing nothing (not sure how long...3-4 min maybe) some the crew, being brave and wanting to fight, would MUTINY against the cowardly captain/player. The ship would then become a bot completely out of the control of the player. Bots fight.  Be like a co-op bot.  Ship would then head into the fray and get moving. Player could take back control of the ship by pushing the M or mutiny key which would unleash crewmen still loyal to him and after a 3 min God awful fight with decks awash in blood and gore would regain control of his ship as the mutineers are defeated, but for 3 min player has no control over his ship. This idea of mine would punish back line campers/snipers and at least get the ship moving as a bot to the fight.  Send player a message! Mutiny of crew!  YES!  Would send a message to the "I don't want my paint scratched" types. Great idea right?  Right?  I still have not worked out all the kinks but I just know this forum will get behind me on this with positive input.  I just know it. :Smile_popcorn:  Comments?

In a way your idea is already in game in that you are rewarded for aggressive play , capping , spotting , some ships like Murmansk have got to be played conservatively in today’s at times lopsided MM to even survive 

I would not Like loss of control in my ship... period

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

The Japanese would never mutiny, such a concept belongs to the obnoxious westerners!! 

Nationalism intensifies. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,373 battles
5 hours ago, dmckay said:

Canadians don't mutiny, we write angry letters to Parliament threatening to sail into the Great Lakes (true story actually, can't find it though).

• Funny 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
3 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

In a way your idea is already in game in that you are rewarded for aggressive play , capping , spotting , some ships like Murmansk have got to be played conservatively in today’s at times lopsided MM to even survive 

I would not Like loss of control in my ship... period

I understand. I did suggest a somewhat radical scenario. Tactically, partly, tongue in cheek.  I am like that. BUT.... I have seem soooooooooooooooooooooo many ideas on this here forum to get passive players fighting.  Just my 2 cents. Man u get an aggressive team and you are on the way to victory. JUST SURVIVE...I kinda don't like that advice anymore.  There is a balance.  Just surviving don't win battles. NO!  Usually many of those types are simply the last to die. 

Members
4,723 posts
7,836 battles
42 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

The Japanese would never mutiny, such a concept belongs to the obnoxious westerners!! 

Nationalism intensifies. 

I do think you are correct.  BEST mutiny book and film IMO.......fictional......The Cain Mutiny. Based on a true story however. Kinda.  Sorta.

Mutiny on the Bounty!  Bout 3 films on that one.  Great story and that one is true.  Happened.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,142 posts
4,934 battles

I already have enough trouble from my bomber squadrons getting spooked and loosening their torp spreads if a fighter so much as spits at them, I don't need to have to worry about the REST of the crew too.