Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Fletcher? Or Shimakaze?

24 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,707 posts
9,439 battles

Just asking based on stats. I'm aggressive (sometimes to a fault) and enough credits to purchase Farragut or Akatsuki (and got reserve 10-point US and IJN captains along with Yamamoto, who hasn't taken a ship yet).

Playstyle is more or less what I do in my KMS DDs. Move up, contest cap if supported, spot where possible, run back to friendly AA if CV around, torp if opportunity arises, and smoke up allies if situation warrants it.

Course, I understand EM is a joke on US DDs starting with Benson's rotate-o-matic MB, so though I'd take AR in its place. And that PT skill is unneeded if assume the ! means I'm being shot at, cause PM sounds necessary.

Most of the appeal comes from idea of charging the entire red team, firing torps, and watching the BBs panic as they turn to dodge torps :cap_haloween:

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles

It sounds to me like you'd be happier in USN DDs.  

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,588 posts
15,896 battles

Z-46. (You'll be happier.)

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
24 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Just asking based on stats. I'm aggressive (sometimes to a fault) and enough credits to purchase Farragut or Akatsuki (and got reserve 10-point US and IJN captains along with Yamamoto, who hasn't taken a ship yet).

Playstyle is more or less what I do in my KMS DDs. Move up, contest cap if supported, spot where possible, run back to friendly AA if CV around, torp if opportunity arises, and smoke up allies if situation warrants it.

Course, I understand EM is a joke on US DDs starting with Benson's rotate-o-matic MB, so though I'd take AR in its place. And that PT skill is unneeded if assume the ! means I'm being shot at, cause PM sounds necessary.

Most of the appeal comes from idea of charging the entire red team, firing torps, and watching the BBs panic as they turn to dodge torps :cap_haloween:

Fletcher. If you do that with a Shima you're gonna get deleted, and I say that with Shima being my most played ship (600+ matches). Fletcher torps are good albeit not as long ranged as I'd like. Shima is about staying in the shadows and taking out people who aren't paying attention; staying undetected there is a key. Fletcher is more agile, has much faster reloading torps which are easier to land because they have better concealment, better guns, better smoke, better concealment (barely). Shima is entirely about torpedoes and they're not as good as they should be but I still love the play style.

Really though, they're both good. I've been working on a dedicated captain for my Fletcher since my 19 is in the Gearing.

• Cool 1

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,998 battles
31 minutes ago, Reymu said:

If you are aggressive forget about IJN DD unless you got division mates you will probably love the fletcher and then want a Kidd lol

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,998 battles
9 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Its really torps vs. guns.  Gearing gets the best of both.

This honestly Gearing is prob my favourite even compared to Z 52

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles
31 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Z-46. (You'll be happier.)

Z-52. (You'll be happiest)  

=)

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles
18 minutes ago, GuntherPrein said:

This honestly Gearing is prob my favourite even compared to Z 52

I don't know about this.  As great as the Gearing's torps are when they're loaded and good to go, their reload is painfully slow, while the Z-52 torps are known for their much faster reload times.

I don't have the Z-52 yet, but I'm on the Z-46 and it's a truly wonderful DD to play.  So I assume that the Z-52 is pretty much the same just better.  I'm also on the tier 9 Chung Mu, which feels pretty much like a Fletcher just with DWTs.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,187 posts
17,556 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'm also on the tier 9 Chung Mu, which feels pretty much like a Fletcher just with DWTs.

I really hate dealing with the Tier IX PADDs in my Cruisers and Battleships.  The torps literally come out of nowhere and there's zero time to react.  Even observing, I'm watching ships like Hindenburg, DM, Moskva, etc. get deleted by those things :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm sure Fletcher is the superior, all-around DD than Chung Mu, but once the PADDs can get past the DD screen, that's when they get crazy.

[SALVO]
Members
19,999 posts
19,924 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I really hate dealing with the Tier IX PADDs in my Cruisers and Battleships.  The torps literally come out of nowhere and there's zero time to react.  Even observing, I'm watching ships like Hindenburg, DM, Moskva, etc. get deleted by those things :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm sure Fletcher is the superior, all-around DD than Chung Mu, but once the PADDs can get past the DD screen, that's when they get crazy.

It probably is, though it's close.  The CM's DWTs are  certainly better vs heavies, and yet the Fletcher's are still damned good, plus they're not DWTs and can hit other DDs.  OTOH, the Fletcher, IIRC, can mount the DefAA consumable (I think), while the CM can't.  Both have excellent smokes, though different in the details.

Push came to shove, I'd probably prefer the Fletcher in a DD brawl, if only because of its torps.  But all in all, the Chung Mu is still one fine DD.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
16,998 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I don't know about this.  As great as the Gearing's torps are when they're loaded and good to go, their reload is painfully slow, while the Z-52 torps are known for their much faster reload times.

I don't have the Z-52 yet, but I'm on the Z-46 and it's a truly wonderful DD to play.  So I assume that the Z-52 is pretty much the same just better.  I'm also on the tier 9 Chung Mu, which feels pretty much like a Fletcher just with DWTs.

Its just my personal feelings I have Z52 as well yes torps are faster reload guns are great on it but just something about gearing and those ten 71  knot torps that just allways get me hits and I can stealth fire like no tomorrow in gearing cause of Rainbow arcs Z 52 is great DD most would prefer her with its trump card Hydro for sure

[BSL]
Members
907 posts
15,312 battles

I bought back Fletcher after having Gearing for a while...sorry, no cigar.  Gearing has better (more/faster) guns (20 vs 18 spm) and torps that go 60% further..

Fletcher has two better features: faster & single gun turrets that don't take out 2 guns when hit.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

The difference is in the guns, mostly. 46 has 2 of em in the rear so it's a better kite boat, the 52 has the 2 up front. I have found myself clicking better with the 52 out of the gate, but I still need plenty of plays in em.

Other than that the differences seem to be pretty minimal.

[BSL]
Members
907 posts
15,312 battles
1 hour ago, Canadatron said:

The difference is in the guns, mostly. 46 has 2 of em in the rear so it's a better kite boat, the 52 has the 2 up front. I have found myself clicking better with the 52 out of the gate, but I still need plenty of plays in em.

Other than that the differences seem to be pretty minimal.

Huge difference in rudder shift.  52 is WAY more maneuverable.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
2 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Huge difference in rudder shift.  52 is WAY more maneuverable.

Y'know you're right. I really enjoy ships like the Sims for that very reason.

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,583 posts
17,618 battles
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

I bought back Fletcher after having Gearing for a while...sorry, no cigar.  Gearing has better (more/faster) guns (20 vs 18 spm) and torps that go 60% further..

Fletcher has two better features: faster & single gun turrets that don't take out 2 guns when hit.

Hmm.....Fletcher has two other better features than the Gearing:

1.  It has much better maneuverability, making it harder to hit

2. It's torps reload 25% faster than the Gearing's!!!

It also gets tier IX rather than tier X MM, if that makes any difference.

[WORX]
Members
3,270 posts
14,695 battles

Tier X American DD all the way.. She's bad [edited]in public test, always fun to play her and she is better then the IJN DDs. so go American :)

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,702 battles
20 hours ago, Reymu said:

Hey Reymu go for the Fletcher. For me it was the first US DD that actually felt Awesome. Bottom line if you like Div'ing Fletcher is a phenomenal team support boat.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,588 posts
15,896 battles
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Z-52. (You'll be happiest)  

Well, to be perfectly fair, you will definitely be seeing the same ships; now where do you prefer your turrets?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,471 posts
On 3/24/2018 at 3:18 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If that happens often then maybe Vigilance would help those folks. I personally (when in Moskva) despise the long range stealh torps of Shima's... Dont they have the option for TRB, like the Kagero? 

Gearing's okay but she faces Khabs a lot these days. You rarely can take a Khab with a Gearing in a gun match. In fact others have advised me not to even attempt it in a Gearing; rather use Gearing's concealment and torps to get it. 

Utlimately it depends on stealth or pow-pow... I'm more of an IJN dd player, so I'd opt for the Shima. 

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

Well, to be perfectly fair, you will definitely be seeing the same ships; now where do you prefer your turrets?

The biggest difference is that the Z-52 hydro extends to 5.88km which is just 0.22km inside its 6.1km surface detection. This means you can hydro/smoke charge opponents much more easily... ESPECIALLY with the AB turret configuration. Despite the Z-46 and Z-52 being almost identical in all other respects, the performance I'm able to get out of the Z-52 is notably higher than that of its predecessor. With that said, both are excellent boats. 

Sign in to follow this