You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Houselei

This game is not unplayable, it's routinized

34 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,067 battles

apologize if my word choice of "unplayable" is misleading. I meant to say that the game is becoming a routine and getting boring.

No matter what mod, what map, the plan is always sniper far away from anything and watch teammates die first. I'm a battleship player who usually tries to tank about 5 km away from a cap and provide my guns and my 2ndary. Yet, guess who dies first while the nearest team battleship is at least 15 km behind you.

Edited by Houselei
to clarify my idea
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[ARGSY]
Members
10,117 posts
6,606 battles
18 minutes ago, Houselei said:

No matter what mod, what map, the plan is always sniper far away from anything and watch teammates die first. I'm a battleship player who usually tries to tank about 5 km away from a cap and provide my guns and my 2ndary. Yet, guess who dies first while the nearest team battleship is at least 15 km behind you.

Trust me, it's even more frustrating when you're fighting and dying against three or four to one odds, and half a dozen of your teammates are about 5km away all huddled behind the same chunk of rock, doing God only knows what rather than coming to your aid. (In fairness I checked afterwards and one of them at least WAS sinking ships, just not the ones shooting at me.)

Life as that one BB captain who tries to push up hard and support with his guns at close range is thankless. It requires very fine judgement regarding what to shoot and when, which ammo to have loaded, and on top of that, you need to actually be able to make your shells count. I know I would probably survive a lot longer and do more good if I could get the ammo selection and hitting parts a lot more polished, but until then I can see why a lot of Orion captains just stick with high explosive and try to make the world burn; at least it has some effect when your targets are changing their angles all the time and never presenting flat broadsides.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,141 posts
12,753 battles
8 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Were your last 8,000 battles playable?

Yeah sure sounds like a suspicious revelation after that many battles.

[SALVO]
Members
19,920 posts
19,878 battles
29 minutes ago, Houselei said:

The game is not unplayable, at least for the reasons you're describing.  What I see is a player that's unwilling to adapt to the rest of his team, and you're butthurt about pushing forward, overextending, and being the first to die because of your mistake.

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,289 posts
12,325 battles

@OP - Somehow thousands of people are able to navigate this issue and play their BB's properly, so I am going to venture that the game is not at fault here ...

[SIDE]
Members
2,066 posts

Man oh man. You got me. In a panic I raced across the house, brought up the wows title screen and clicked launch button. Nervously I waited as it made server connection. Relief came only once my port lay splashed across my monitor.

The game still plays. April Fools indeed. Well played!

[OO7]
Members
4,217 posts
10,885 battles
31 minutes ago, Houselei said:

Then why are you here? If its unplayable, leave.

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,067 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

Then why are you here? If its unplayable, leave.

This is an attitude of resolving a possible issue or contributing to this game community. We love this game so that we comment on it.

[OO7]
Members
4,217 posts
10,885 battles
1 minute ago, Houselei said:

This is an attitude of resolving a possible issue or contributing to this game community. We love this game so that we comment on it.

If you literally mean its unplayable, then you should stop trying to play it. If its unplayable because your style of play is getting you blapped early, that's your fault, not the games

Edited by Ducky_shot

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,067 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The game is not unplayable, at least for the reasons you're describing.  What I see is a player that's unwilling to adapt to the rest of his team, and you're butthurt about pushing forward, overextending, and being the first to die because of your mistake.

you're partially correct. I have no problem to play like most, but I dislike this game becomes routinized and passive.

[TBW]
Members
7,378 posts
13,536 battles

I am with you on this, the best defense is a good offense, you actually need a team that works together to do this however. If you don't alter your game play for Random battles, this trend will continue. Random battles are just not fun for me anymore it's just RNG (giving you 0 points for 5 shell hits per salvo), People running and hiding so as not to get shot at and a Match Maker that leaves little to be desired. Co op and scenarios are more fun to play but then they tend to get old after a while.

Free to play is really great for many people. If there was a pay game mode I would probably do it, because I feel that at least if you pay a monthly fee you are more committed to the game. With less population there would be longer queue times but it would be worth it. They also could make it so that you could opt to be included in the general population (FTP) game mode. They could call it serious player mode or something. Maybe have full team communication and more stringent team kill and chat abuse rules.

The lack of teams with people who want to play as a team in Randoms gets really old fast. Randoms aren't unplayable they are just not that much fun and as @awiggin has stated many times, as the population grows it gets worse.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,067 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

If you literally mean its unplayable, then you should stop trying to play it. If its unplayable because your style of play is getting you blapped early, that's your fault, not the games

could be true. but would you like this game becomes a Middle Ages gun fight when 2 sides just kept distance and rely on how many bullets can hit another side. Or it could be like a real team strategy game when some ships spot, some draw attention, while some do ambush?

check World War II real ship battles, and see how amazing if thinking process involves in battles.

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,067 battles

apologize if my word choice of "unplayable" is misleading. I meant to say that the game is becoming a routine and getting boring.

[TBW]
Members
7,378 posts
13,536 battles
4 minutes ago, Houselei said:

I meant to say that the game is becoming a routine and getting boring.

To the point that if I was in Jail and all I could do is play the game (random battles) or read a book, I would choose the book. In Random battles there never really is a team and it's more about who has the most people that work together.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

Play a different type of ship. Then punish the passive players on the other team, profit. :Smile_izmena:

Members
3,914 posts
8,376 battles

That's fine, you got people going with that. What you really meant to say is that the battles are aggravating when you have these BB schlubs who refuse to push and support, game after game, and I hear you. If the team manages to do well, then they emerge and finally move on caps, with their HP barely scratched, feeling like winners... My choice epithets would be [edited].

[STW-N]
[STW-N]
Members
36 posts
12,067 battles
2 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

Play a different type of ship. Then punish the passive players on the other team, profit. :Smile_izmena:

well, Iowa/Missouri class was the solo reason I started to play this game, because I owned an Iowa ship model when I was a kid. A gift from my father. It is still at my home.

Members
4,297 posts

In a BB you can be too aggressive which leads to problems, same as being too passive.  There is a very fine line of when to be aggressive and when not to be. For this you must, must, must be aware of the mini-map and what your team is doing and what your role is in the match.

• Cool 1

Members
2,449 posts
5,190 battles

My efforts to play BBs are laughable. They make the worst DDs ever. :Smile_teethhappy:

as a DD main and primary consumer of B.B. HP however, it’s my observation that many B.B. players assume that because they CAN shoot at great range, they SHOULD. They cannot, for the most part, hit anything reliably at 70%+ of their range. They remain safe, as the majority of their opponents are equally inept, and make it to end game, which reinforces the idea that they’re doing something right. 

The game doesn’t reward survival, per se. it rewards damage, kills, and caps - and WINNING. Making a contribution to the win, even if it results in destruction, is more rewarding and satisfying than making it to end game with middling to poor damage done and a lack of team mates to secure the win.

good DD players get this. Not sure what it is about MORE health, armor and firepower that makes people LESS willing to take risk,  but hey. I don’t get why anyone would play anything BUT DDs in the first place. 

Just glad they do! :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Thornir

[4TAC]
Members
913 posts
4,246 battles
1 hour ago, Houselei said:

Looking at your stats, (which are great to unicum in most everything) and that fact you have nearly 9000 battles, I would say you have basically played this game out and are burned out.   Myself I don't think I will make 4K games and be tired of it. I suggest finding some new challenging games and retire doing this one.

[SALVO]
Members
19,920 posts
19,878 battles
28 minutes ago, Houselei said:

you're partially correct. I have no problem to play like most, but I dislike this game becomes routinized and passive.

Part of the reason that game becomes "routinized" is that you're always playing on the same maps.  The same thing happens in World of Tanks.  People have a favorite bush they go to hide behind on each map, or a favorite rock or building corner, and so on.  In WoWS, it's a favorite island to shoot behind or corner of an island to work.

There are times when I wonder if some sort of randomized map generator that required people to have to think about each new map each and every time, rather than playing the same fixed number of maps over and over and over again.  The problem is that coming up with a randomized map generator that also produces balanced maps would probably be extremely difficult, unless perhaps, it was designed from the start to produce perfectly symmetrical maps, in which case, it'd actually just generate half a map, then copy and paste the mirror of it on the other side of the map.  But perfectly symmetrical maps can get boring after a while.

As for passivity, a lot of that comes from the fact that all these islands exist.  And some of it comes from the fact that naval battles of this era have never really been all that aggressive.  They were usually more about two fleets fighting in some line of battle, sailing parallel to each other at a given distance.  And a lot of people play sorta-kinda this way in WoWS.  They fight at range, because that's what naval vessels of this era were supposed to do.  These ships weren't designed to go in and brawl in close quarters like wooden ships from the age of sail.  Historically, you would only see those sorts of battles in this era during night battles, for the simple reason that you couldn't see the enemy until you got closer, before the advent of fire control radar.

Also, a reason why people play what I think you mean by passive is because it's often the smart thing to do.  Note that there's a difference between the way a good player plays passively and  the way lesser players play passively.  The weak BB players' idea of playing passively is sitting out at 18-20 km or more, throwing up a spotting plane, and sniping away, usually doing very little and being subjected to the whims of RNG. The smarter player's idea of passivity is to get in somewhat closer and use terrain to limit the number of enemy ships that can see and/or hit him.  You may find this boring and passive, but it IS smart because they are doing their best to preserve their own health while attacking the enemy.  And it's not a lot different from the long range kiting cruiser who snipes away at close to his max gun range, because for cruisers, range is life.  The greater the range, the more time they have to dodge incoming fire and stay alive.  It may seem campy and/or passive, but it's how you stay alive in a squishy cruiser while contributing to the team.

Anyways, that's all for now.