You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

USS Helena aka The Machine Gun Ship

94 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,673 posts
9,076 battles

Well here's the ship I've been waiting for since I started playing the game. USS Helena was a ship know to put down fire that was so accurate and rapid that the Japanese literally thought she was armed with 6" machine guns and thought it was a major victory when she was sunk during the Solomons campaign. Here's hoping wargaming doesn't screw it up.

ST. American cruiser Helena, tier VII.

Hit points – 33300. Plating - 16 mm. Armor belt – 51-127 mm. Torpedo damage reduction – 4%.

Main battery - 5х3 152 mm. Firing range – 14.6 km. Maximum HE shell damage – 2200. Chance to cause fire – 12%. Maximum AP shell damage - 3200. Reload time - 10 s. 180 degree turn time - 22.5 s. Maximum dispersion - 133 m. HE initial velocity - 812 m/s. AP initial velocity - 762 m/s. Sigma value – 2.0.

AA defense - 10x1 20 mm, range - 2.0 km, damage per second - 36. 4x2 20 mm, range - 2.0 km, damage per second - 24. 4x2 40 mm, range - 3.5 km, damage per second - 64. 4x2 127 mm, range - 5.0 km, damage per second - 60.

Maximum speed - 32.5 kt. Turning circle radius - 680 m. Rudder shift time – 9.1 s. Surface detectability – 11.9 km. Air detectability – 7.6 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 5.6 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Defensive AA Fire/Hydroacoustic Search

Slot 3 - Catapult Fighter

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers but with best available modules. The stats are subject to change during the testing.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, mountain, cloud, outdoor, water and nature
  • Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
708 posts
6,086 battles

Not sure I like the idea of a 10 second reload on USN 152s. I know lowering it could make this borderline OP but still...with those short range guns at that tier, maybe a short reload is exactly what it needs.

• Cool 4

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,752 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

This looks significantly better than Brooklyn.

How? As it's a sister ship in the class.

[NGA]
Members
1,673 posts
9,076 battles
1 minute ago, IronMike11B4O said:

How? As it's a sister ship in the class.

Technically the St. Louis-class were a slightly modified design with a better powerplant.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,802 posts
4,579 battles
1 minute ago, smf117 said:

Not sure I like the idea of a 10 second reload on USN 152s. I know lowering it could make this borderline OP but still...with those short range guns at that tier, maybe a short reload is exactly what it needs.

Agreed, if these were Schors type railguns then the 10 seconds would be perfectly serviceable. But with the ballistics and the relatively low range I feel it will be a bit underwhelming. At least its relatively stealthy. Bottom line, these are just the first public iterations, who knows if and what changes will be made...

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,008 posts
6,371 battles

Well, it looks very good to me, waiting for her right now.

And if we just have Helena from the St Louis-class and not the Brooklyn-class, then WG could use the Brookyn-class as premiums: Savannah or Honolulu for the US, General Belgrano (Phoenix) or Nueve de Julio (Boise) for a argentinian premium ship, O'Higgins (Brooklyn) or Capitán Prat (Nashville) for a chilean premium ship and Barroso (Philadelphia) for a brazilian premium ship. Also, for the brazilians they could use Tamandare (St Louis) too.

• Cool 2

[SVF]
Members
1,149 posts
1,565 battles

*looks at AA suite*

Hm.  Roughly the same as current Pensacola in the short and long range, but notably worse in the mid range.  Interestingly though, they seem to have used the new Cleveland's super-buffed twin 40mm guns, since the per mount DPS works out to 16 (roughly the same as a normal quad 40mm mount).

[CK5]
Members
983 posts
8,594 battles
44 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Impressive but the Kutuzof Vlll has a 7 second reload, that shoots about 19k has smoke and Torps

If they rolled out another Kutuzov, they would just have to ban it later.  

[RLGN]
Members
10,056 posts
19,462 battles
50 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Impressive but the Kutuzof Vlll has a 7 second reload, that shoots about 19k has smoke and Torps

You forget also that Kut explodes if a seagull takes a dump on it or a crewman drops a screwdriver.

Fast reload is meaningless in Davey Jones locker.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,737 battles

This class doesn't look survivable against CA shells in tier let alone if it goes against T9.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,149 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

You forget also that Kut explodes if a seagull takes a dump on it or a crewman drops a screwdriver.

Fast reload is meaningless in Davey Jones locker.

There’s an in game hack that you can use called WASD that works really well to mitigate that .. must be used constantly though

• Cool 2

[WORX]
Members
3,289 posts
14,695 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Here's hoping wargaming doesn't screw it up.

I wish I can sure your optimism and your positive outlook in your vision of your great ship. So far Wargaming have done only BBs well ( the French BBs are not that bad and the fun factor is there). DDs  on the other hand, well they have nurfed the IJN DD line to the ground, not to describe the Pan Asia disaster with Deep water torps. I am a realist and  the consistency of creating fun ships fails sometime. I am with you. WAR GAMING dont messed this up lol

[RLGN]
Members
10,056 posts
19,462 battles
12 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

There’s an in game hack that you can use called WASD that works really well to mitigate that .. must be used constantly though

If that were the case; destroyers should never be sunk.

Kutuzov is a coal barge compared to destroyers. WASD doesn’t save it; fools who don’t blast it to bits when it’s spotted, terrain, and smoke does.

Alpha Tester
3,483 posts
1,556 battles
34 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Yeah It is amazing what this hack can accomplish in game.  Nothing infuriates a BB more than some cruiser using this hack to constantly change direction and speed which tend to cause the vast majority of their shells to miss the cruiser hehe.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,149 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If that were the case; destroyers should never be sunk.

Kutuzov is a coal barge compared to destroyers. WASD doesn’t save it; fools who don’t blast it to bits when it’s spotted, terrain, and smoke does.

I guess I’m the exception then

[OO7]
Members
4,238 posts
10,903 battles

I was really looking forward to a 3rd St Louis.... but my hopes were dashed...

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
6 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Here's hoping wargaming doesn't screw it up.

With a 10 second reload it already is. Don't really want to hear about it being overpowered, etc.

WG please stop urinating all over the USN cruisers, they are better than this.

Edit: If you don't like the post, I don't give a rip. Initial stats or not it, is complete feces for this class to have a 10 sec reload. It's the wrong starting point.

And we didn't pick the name and precedent ship, they (WG) did so they can bear the brunt of the forum backlash relative to the asinine reload for the 152s.

Edited by hofmannsc
  • Cool 4

[RLGN]
Members
10,056 posts
19,462 battles
14 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I guess I’m the exception then

...and I wouldn’t doubt that one bit.

Mutsuki is one of the most hated destroyers in the game; and yet both flavors of it (old t6, new t5,) are pretty much my best wr destroyers, with the percentage decently above average.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,149 battles
1 minute ago, Midnitewolf said:

Yeah It is amazing what this hack can accomplish in game.  Nothing infuriates a BB more than some cruiser using this hack to constantly change direction and speed which tend to cause the vast majority of their shells to miss the cruiser hehe.

Not only that but I’m of the opinion that if your using or should I say doing this WASD hack before your incoming lights up, the game rewards you with less damage or misses I have been Detonated in my Kutuzov, I have had Devastating stricks in my Kutuzov but never once did this happen if I was using da “Hack”.. the game knows all and rewards accordingly