You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
kiwi1960

My son won the Texas!

22 comments in this topic

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts

He has been playing on my computer constantly for days, sailing the Diana which was the gift for accepting my invitation to join the game.

His computer needed a new video card which I put into the computer a few days ago, then the sound wasn't up to standard... I finally dug out my old 5.1 speakers for him to use... but he was so close to winning that I told him to keep on going. He did, then about an hour ago, he got his Tier 6 ship, fought a battle, lost horribly but still got his Texas. He is one very tired person.

He had two complaints, and I'll share them here with you all.

He is UTTERLY sick of the "Diana", its impossible to hit anything because it lobs shells at the target, by the time they get to where the ship was... well.... "was" is the operative word. He let me try it a few times, and I agree. It should NEVER have been a Tier 2 ship, maybe Tier 1 ... and NEVER a premium ship. Even though its in his fleet he vows NEVER to sail it again. Even if you lead the shells, the distance was staggering, and in that time, if the ship made a slight course correction, you'd miss. Many fights, he was lucky to get 6 hits on a target before he died. That ship should be retired, and ONLY given away to people you do not like. If wargaming.net wanted new players, seriously, you'd drive them away with the Diana. We thought we saw something on this somewhere, that you couldn't buy a premium ship to play in the competition... NOW, I took that to mean you couldn't just buy a Tier 6 ship and win that way, but my son thought it meant that you couldn't buy ANY premium ship... he played safe and went the hard way with a real donkey of a ship.

Now that he has his Texas... he took it out and was disappointed. Again, it is slow and long reloading times. I understand... ME, personally, that the Texas was the prize because they are trying to save the real Texas, a worthy cause, however, anyone winning that ship might also be disappointed YET again with the ship...

two ships, the way my son sees it, two DUDS... if they want people to continue playing WoWs then the prize should have been a ship with fast loading, high speed and exciting to drive... THAT would keep the interest of the new players. I'm not sure if he will play all that much now. Getting... what is the word... ummm... ok, thanks to the Diana, he is all played out! That ship killed his interest in the game, and honestly, I cannot blame him. He has yet to drive a ship that is exciting and has kept all us entertained since we joined.

Don't get me wrong here, I think the Diana is a dog of a ship, but I love the Texas, not only as an in game fighting ship, but the history of the REAL USS Texas. I'm only sorry that they didn't give her to the person that invited the new players to the game... I'd appreciate it a lot more.

To the ones that came up with this competition, and I suspect the added bonus of getting new blood into the game, next time, consider making the gift of a ship one that isn't such a dog, and the prize something that will keep the newbies happy driving it and wanting to come back for more  and more.

That is my 5c worth.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts

Have him start up the French cruiser line if he wants an exciting game. They are a bit tankier than DDs but you also get torpedoes. However, you can't stealth torp so you have to make daring torpedo runs on enemy ships. The tier IV French cruiser can do pretty well in low-tier games and the tier V one is a speed demon, capable of outrunning most DDs at its tier. Many people at low tiers forget cruisers can have torpedoes too so you get a lot of really surprised BB players.

As to the capabilities of the gift ships, I don't know as I've not played them. I can understand his frustration but I also could understand the frustration of other players should WG make available a super-ship premium at that tier too. Are their some videos on the Texas? If so, maybe they will give hints as to how to play it effectively. From what I can see it needs to be accompanied by other ships and not venture out alone.

[RKLES]
Members
8,923 posts
10,828 battles

German BBs have the speed, armor, and firepower for fun close up brawling if you want exciting BB fights.

[RLGN]
Members
10,045 posts
19,455 battles

Moonshot shell lobbing does take getting used too...

Guess for new players that would certainly be an issue? I couldn’t honestly say; I didn’t get Diana until recently; well past 12k games in; and didn’t dislike it...

...but then also, I apparently have an affinity for bad ships...

New York/Texas were perhaps a letdown after Wyoming; but after many lessons learned playing many, many games; I went back to them and found them perfectly serviceable battleships. Not brawlers like Wyoming and New Mexico can be, but still good ships...

...but again; I seem to do well with bad ships...

In any case; simple advice I would give?

Don’t be in a hurry in World of Warships. I learned through bitter experience that doing so leads to disappointment.

NEVER sell or otherwise get rid of a free ship, no matter how bad you think it is. You might decide you want to try it again latter, and no discount offered in the future is ever cheaper than FREE.

[O_O]
Members
5,006 posts
11,251 battles

Yes, Diana is a dog.  Being a premium ship doesn't exclude a ship from that possibility.

Texas isn't that great.  But, it's a New York, and she isn't that great, either.  Texas is a New York with better AA.

Your son now has two premium ships, US and Russian, that he can use to help train up captains.  To do that, remove the captains from the premiums and train them for a tech tree ship.  Except for one or two exceptions, my premium ships don't have regular captains, and are captainless when in port.  I assign a captain from a tech tree ship to the premium to increase that captain's XP when I want to (or need to) play the premium.

So, they may not be great, but your son already has two captain trainers in port...and that ain't bad.

Alpha Tester
1,318 posts
10,365 battles

Doesn't like Texas?!? It's my best tier 5 bb! Keep him at it and if he has talent for BBs he'll figure it out quick. She's a good ship. For Diana I dont have her but I have her larger sister Aurora and she does poorly too. P.S. make sure he's firing AP in his Texas.

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
328 posts
6,127 battles

I love me some Texas and I actually liked the New York as well. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
154 posts
1,507 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Moonshot shell lobbing does take getting used too...

Guess for new players that would certainly be an issue? I couldn’t honestly say; I didn’t get Diana until recently; well past 12k games in; and didn’t dislike it...

...but then also, I apparently have an affinity for bad ships...

New York/Texas were perhaps a letdown after Wyoming; but after many lessons learned playing many, many games; I went back to them and found them perfectly serviceable battleships. Not brawlers like Wyoming and New Mexico can be, but still good ships...

...but again; I seem to do well with bad ships...

In any case; simple advice I would give?

Don’t be in a hurry in World of Warships. I learned through bitter experience that doing so leads to disappointment.

NEVER sell or otherwise get rid of a free ship, no matter how bad you think it is. You might decide you want to try it again latter, and no discount offered in the future is ever cheaper than FREE.

Also , it's possible they may buff that free ship . You never know . 

• Cool 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,441 posts
4,559 battles

don't worry, he will learn to love and hate the Texas when the time comes. But in the mean time, I think German battleships would be the best fit for him, since you can brawl with it

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
7,520 battles

The Texas is a great ship. You need at least a 10 point captain in her though. She can hold her own with any tier 5 ship and most tier 6. Slow yes but can throw a punch and take a lot of punishment. Got to angle and stay in the middle of the pack. Always have to leave yourself an escape route especially because she's SLOW.

[TBW]
Members
7,390 posts
13,565 battles

It's kind of strange that they give the Diana and the Texas to people to entice them to play and they are disappointed. When they decide they don't like the game and quit playing, they give them the Giulio Cesare.

• Cool 1

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts

Well, being a realist like me, LOL, he looked at all the ships before starting, and the cheapest Tier 6 ship was the Japanese cruiser, so he went that way. He got the Aoba, which I've never sailed, I prefer German and British cruisers, except I have the Graf Spee and Agile (?) which are good ships, mostly. I prefer Tier 1 ships myself... the simple times, no planes, just run and shoot.

He will return to the game, he just needs time to forget the Diana... he wont sell her, I taught him that you never sell a gift that was given to you.... the way he goes is up to him, but he did say the Tier 8+ Japanese cruisers looked exciting. As for the Texas, it will grow on him... being able to demolish destroyers with a lucky shot at close range is something he has yet to experience. :Smile_teethhappy:

What ever direction he goes, when he goes... (if? :fish_panic:) I'm sure he will have fun, He likes the clans and he joined my clan after sitting next to me and watching clan chat and seeing what nice people they are... in fact, I showed him all that before sending him the invite in case he said no (that would have hurt!)... his name is a take on our clan name.... (1RD) so his name is 1st_Red_Devils ...

Yes, WHEN he comes back to the game, I'm sure he will love it. I'll pass on the advice about the captains, its advice I should take as well....

Well... his grind is over..... mine continues... the hard way! What I'd like to see incorporated into the game is players being able to sell other players ships... or, better yet, RENT them out so the person can see how good or bad they are. (for XP maybe? Credits for sure!)

Good sailing Captains. See you on the water.... and never forget.... play WoWs, meet interesting people and kill them.... he who wins pressed the fire button a micro second before the guy who ends up in the lifeboat.

Edited by kiwi1960

Members
1,632 posts
3,603 battles
7 hours ago, Baron_Von_Krieg said:

Also , it's possible they may buff that free ship . You never know . 

It would be nice if she got the nice range buff the NY got a while back, right now I run the Plotting Room mod instead of the AA mod because of the heavy T7 matches that extra range is very useful given her speed. Even with that I got 23 Kaga planes for zero hits on me

[WOLF9]
Members
8,773 posts
4,145 battles

Most likely he ground up a CRuiser line to T6.  That means he has no experience playing BBs, and BBs playing nothing like CRs.  I suggest he go back to S. Carolina and work up the line.  Or if he can't be patient (oh, the young) then try DDs.  That's a different meta, too, and quite exciting. 

[BS]
Members
1,376 posts
7,635 battles

My 11 year old div'd up with me ONCE, refused to play the game ever since. He played the Konig I believe... not sure what made him hate the game so much.

It'd be so easy to kick butt with him right in the other room, shame...I could just shout commands at him, lol.

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts
7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Most likely he ground up a CRuiser line to T6.  That means he has no experience playing BBs, and BBs playing nothing like CRs.  I suggest he go back to S. Carolina and work up the line.  Or if he can't be patient (oh, the young) then try DDs.  That's a different meta, too, and quite exciting. 

True. The Diana is enough to put anyone off I think, from that to a T6 cruiser to win a T5 BB....

Yes, problem, he went from the Diana to a T6 Cruiser and experienced nothing much in-between... I see a problem. He played today, the Texas, he did well, cruisers, not bad... but he needs more battle experience... its good that he is sticking to Co-Op for now till he learns.

As for me... I played for the first time in days thanks to him chasing the Texas... I felt like a real n00b .... and sadly, I acted like it as well... WE will get there.

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 1

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,006 posts
5 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

My 11 year old div'd up with me ONCE, refused to play the game ever since. He played the Konig I believe... not sure what made him hate the game so much.

It'd be so easy to kick butt with him right in the other room, shame...I could just shout commands at him, lol.

I see YOUR problem, but my son is in his 30's. I think he was determined to help save the Texas because that is what I wanted... I hope they appreciate his $25 donation.

I need to do multi quotes.... sorry guys. :(

Edited by kiwi1960

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Sorry to hear that @kiwi1960, thanks for sharing his experiences with us. If you could have chosen any ship in the game to make an award which one do you think you would have chosen? What do you think your son would choose? I hope that he gives the game a second chance in the future- Texas isn't for everyone, so I hope he finds a different ship that is more his style that he can enjoy :)

Members
4,300 posts

I still enjoy the Texas, then again the speed and 'slow' shooting don't bother me as a BB main because its about average.  I'd rather have the Texas guns which actually do damage to the German guns which can't hit anything despite faster reloads.

Members
1,632 posts
3,603 battles
5 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Sorry to hear that @kiwi1960, thanks for sharing his experiences with us. If you could have chosen any ship in the game to make an award which one do you think you would have chosen? What do you think your son would choose? I hope that he gives the game a second chance in the future- Texas isn't for everyone, so I hope he finds a different ship that is more his style that he can enjoy :)

I know this wasn't towards me but the USS Olympia would be a cool ship that could benefit her restoration when the Texas restoration ends. It would be a nice change from the Diana. That said the Ishizuchi might be better for newer players since Texas really don't shine till player with a good captain and game experience or maybe a 1944 version of the Kongo with all her AA glory. Sorry I don't mean to highjack the thread

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,192 posts
11,684 battles
6 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

Sorry I don't mean to highjack the thread

slow re load main gun - had the capt skill to Adrenaline Rush

Slow ship - had the ship equipped with speed signal

Had the ship fully signals up - and good to go

Cant aim - you can help your son with some clips on how to lead your shot. Very nice clips and he good to go