You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nerf_Snerdley

Detailed Blow-by-Blow After Action?

13 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
1,577 battles

New player here.  Played WoT a few years back, but didn't like (what seemed like) the PtW aspect (i.e. gold bought special AP ammo).  Giving WoWS a try and it seems much more balance in that regard.

However, the point of this post is to see if there's any way to get a detailed after-action report of the battle.  I know about what's available in game, and I know I can roll-over the "hit count" to see pens, shatters, and bounces.  What I'm talking about is something that shows HP per shot, or salvo or what-have-you.  In game, the HP are shown but I'm normally too busy to see most of them.  And even then, I've got no way of knowing what really happened.

I know this may seem "in the weeds," and I've been watching YT vids to get some tips, but I feel like I'm missing a few things.  Like, firing a full salvo, broadside, aiming at the water line, midships and only doing 2000 HP (Tier 6 CA).  Unless the "voice" says "Ship penetrated" I don't know if I got one citadel hit, a couple of decent penetrations, or a whole piss pot full of pass-throughs.  I understand penetration mechanics (years of playing Seekrieg with naval miniatures) a few decades ago, and the vids like Notsers and others make it seem like using AP is OK "class-to-class."

But aside from getting the "52 hits with HE" at the end, I'm not figuring things out.  One example with an Omaha (and I can't remember the exact numbers, but these are close) gave an end-match report that said I had 125 hits with AP for 23,000 damage.  That's an average of 185 HP per hit, which isn't even as much as a passthrough.  If I'm following the math, I got say 20 pens, another 10 over-pens, and 95 ricochets/shatters.  But that's not what the ribbons said...

Likewise, I was playing tonight and took a broadside from another cruiser.  At least that's what I *saw* hit me.  This was on the test server, so I was running higher tier than normal.  But what I saw was that I went from 39,000 HP down to about 7,000 in one "boom."  The sound did that drop to silence thing, and naturally I was sinking a salvo or two later.  I'd like to see what happened there.  Did the other guy get a bunch of citadels?  Seems like it would take 5 or 6 (given high tier CA damage with AP).  Or did I take that salvo plus a shot from a BB that I didn't know was shooting at me?

Cheers!

Beta Testers
274 posts
9,594 battles

Three things you can do to (re)view a game:

1. Turn on "Detailed Ribbons and Damage Indicator" in the Settings.  This will split up your hit ribbons into Penetration (AP yields 33% damage), Overpen (AP yields 10% damage), Shatter (exploded without penetrating), and Bounce (did not even explode).  That way you won't have to "roll-over the hit count" during a battle, and can get an idea of what your AP is actually doing as you're firing it.
  2. In the detailed results screen, you can mouse over the list of hits received to see what fired those hits into you, and how much damage they did.
  3. Turn on replays so you can re-watch a game:  Enabling Replays

That Omaha-125-hit-23k-damage is likely to contain many more overpen hits than your initial thought, possibly even to the point of all the damaging hits being overpens.  Light cruisers are particularly prone to receiving overpens, specifically because their armor is light and their hulls are narrow:  the AP goes in one side of the ship, maybe doesn't even fuse, then punches out the other side before the shell can detonate.  Destroyers officially do not even HAVE citadels;  they were removed for balance reasons - one battleship AP in the right spot, and no more destroyer.

Members
1,484 posts
9,672 battles

One thought. If you're in an Omaha(light cruiser), you should be primarily using HE over AP, unless you have a broadside cruiser nearby. In which case, AP would be the best choice. You should try to set fires and watch for when a ship uses repair. Once that happens, try and set another fire or more on the same ship, then target another. Dodge, weave, change speed and use islands as cover.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,296 posts
6,746 battles

Enable replays and send the games that particularly frustrated you for whatever reason to @Lord_Zath. Tell him what you're having trouble with. He will analyse your game and give you constructive criticism, and you will get your fifteen minutes of fame on YouTube.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,152 battles

I think they already do keep that info just like right after game details, click the bottom right hand icon in Port, I think it’s notifications, once you log out this info is lost though

Members
8 posts
1,577 battles

Thanks for the replies.  I went from using "rollover" to detailed ribbons, but didn't try the "rollover" in the summary screen, and I hadn't even thought about replays!

Lol about Lord Zath.  Sounds like I might as hold a sign saying "Roast me." :)

Members
22,388 posts
5,785 battles
6 hours ago, DeMatt said:

Destroyers officially do not even HAVE citadels;  they were removed for balance reasons - one battleship AP in the right spot, and no more destroyer.

Also, any cruiser with 155mm or smaller main guns doesn't have the magazines (under the turrets) count as part of the citadel, whereas the citadel continues under the turrets for 180mm+ armed cruisers.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,179 posts
16,753 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Enable replays and send the games that particularly frustrated you for whatever reason to @Lord_Zath. Tell him what you're having trouble with. He will analyse your game and give you constructive criticism, and you will get your fifteen minutes of fame on YouTube.

o/

Yep I'll take any replay.  Note that I am traveling right now and won't get home before the next patch (7.3?) drops, so please no replays until after 7.3 drops!

[ARGSY]
Members
10,296 posts
6,746 battles
4 hours ago, Nerf_Snerdley said:

Thanks for the replies.  I went from using "rollover" to detailed ribbons, but didn't try the "rollover" in the summary screen, and I hadn't even thought about replays!

Lol about Lord Zath.  Sounds like I might as hold a sign saying "Roast me." :)

You get roasted, sure, but the roasting is worth it. I've been roasted a few times now myself, or I wouldn't be recommending the experience.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,811 posts
4,180 battles
14 hours ago, Nerf_Snerdley said:

Like, firing a full salvo, broadside, aiming at the water line, midships and only doing 2000 HP (Tier 6 CA)

I feel your pain.  But remember that Beaver Cleaver (I assume you're playing Cleveland as its your only T6 CRuser) is not a CA but a CL.  6" shells have nowhere near the armor penetration of 8" shells.  Unless the conditions are perfect, fire HE from the Beaver at the superstructure and burn the bastid to the ground.

Also, use Lord_Zath.  I got roasted a little (the ship I was in got roasted more), but he properly complimented my Notser Maneuver and pointed out several things to work on.  And your game gets to live in infamy.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,179 posts
16,753 battles

Yeah I try hard not to be all like "you are a garbage player, uninstall now."  I've had a few games with players who made very poor decisions...  even had one replay where someone died in the first 4 minutes of the game.  Happens to all of us ;)

[ARGSY]
Members
10,296 posts
6,746 battles
12 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Yeah I try hard not to be all like "you are a garbage player, uninstall now."  I've had a few games with players who made very poor decisions...  even had one replay where someone died in the first 4 minutes of the game.  Happens to all of us ;)

We wait for someone to be that awful, but even if that were to happen I suspect they'd be trolling you. Or you'd find out that their four-year-old took over while they were AFK and managed to somehow last out the battle, or something like that. :Smile_teethhappy: