You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Komandorski Is but not Cape Matapan why WOWS/NA ?

20 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles

Hi 

I have been a WOWS gamer for some time now, I'm a regular visitor to the forum and post  on and off and try to keep up with all the latest happenings on the forum.

Over the time i have been checking whats happening on the forum site there have been many different topics written about and points of expressed and discussed one of the more common ones is Bias, this comes in many shapes and sizes the most popular is of course Russian specially when it comes to ship design.

However i have noticed as have others another bias in the form of events based on historical battles, there have been a few posts from other members in recent times on this subject the most recent by  @KalishniKat.

What i have noticed is WOWS/NA somewhat casual approach to creating in game historical events sure we get Pearl Harbour, Midway and Leyte Gulf  and rightly so but other major battles get over looked why is this ?.

At first i thought this might be because staff at WOWS/NA were young and have grown up in a age where naval history was not that interesting if so that's bad on managements part for hiring these people, it may be a arcade game but its based on historical ships and thus your staff should know something about the history of the ships and its career surely.

Then i thought is it laziness ( i have to ask the question ) maybe the staff cant get motivated or creative again this boils down to management hiring these people .

Maybe its the fact that people believe that because its the NA server it should be exclusively about the Pacific theatre or the Atlantic side of NA region if that's the case its narrow minded considering we have ships from all over the world in game.

If that's the case why not make the ships regional based, however i read posts and threads on the forums everyday by NA natives who talk about ships and historical battles from other regions so the idea of exclusivity is nonsense when it comes to the community.

So what is it with WOWS/NA we had the battle of Vella Gulf last year not the most important of battles on the scale of things in the pacific theatre and yet I'm  pretty certain we did not have a Coral Sea event, if I'm wrong I'm certain someone will tell me.

This months we have the battle Komandorski islands yes it was important battle for the pacific theatre as it halted all ship based supply to the only US occupied territory.

However Cape Matapan which was a decisive victory for the Western Allies at a time when the enemy was marching through Europe does not even get a mention considering we have British BBs and CAs in game we have The Perth and we have Italian ships that could be used in events.

So what is it with WOWS/NA  when it comes to creating events for historical battles why are they hit and miss erratic even, they pick obscure battles over the most obvious ones when they have a choice or they just don't have any at all some months , and why are they so resistant and or reluctant to do any event that's based on a historical battle that does not have any USN ships involved and the ones we do get are few and far between and average at best with a few exceptions.

I hate bringing up the bias word but it seems to me that this maybe the case, however i would be happy to here what views WOWS/NA staff have on my post about this matter.

regards  

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,691 posts
3,820 battles

They are unifying events across all server regions it should be very apparent. Especially since they are moving from a big office to a much smaller office. Do your own research and you'll come to the conclusion. Wargaming's downsizing their business and will focus on the primary Russian audience before RU<EU<Asia<NA. Why do you think Kronshadt is coming before any of the other battlecruisers? Or why the USN cl,cv lines are where they are? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,370 posts
10,928 battles

I was happy to see Komandorski get mentioned. It is a battle that few people know about and it was unique along with the Action off Samar in the Pacific war being a gunnery action in daylight. Cape Matapan on the other had is well known even to people that are not interested in naval history.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
10,093 posts
19,494 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I was happy to see Komandorski get mentioned. It is a battle that few people know about and it was unique along with the Action off Samar in the Pacific war being a gunnery action in daylight. Cape Matapan on the other had is well known even to people that are not interested in naval history.

Good point.

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles
11 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

They are unifying events across all server regions it should be very apparent. Especially since they are moving from a big office to a much smaller office. Do your own research and you'll come to the conclusion. Wargaming's downsizing their business and will focus on the primary Russian audience before RU<EU<Asia<NA. Why do you think Kronshadt is coming before any of the other battlecruisers? Or why the USN cl,cv lines are where they are? 

I'm aware of the downsizing but this lack of interest in naval battles which in turn eventuates in a lack of in game events has been going on for a long time long before the downsizing was thought of.

regards 

Members
1,376 posts
8,793 battles

There's also the fact that the ships that fought at Komandorski are in the game, whereas half the ships from Cape Matapan aren't.

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles
14 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I'm all for this battle being mentioned and in fact used as a event i was just using this example as a case in point of how hit miss this department is when it comes in game historical events

And is it to hard for them to organise events side by side for 2 different battles

rgards 

Beta Testers
1,691 posts
3,820 battles
21 minutes ago, tm63au said:

I'm aware of the downsizing but this lack of interest in naval battles which in turn eventuates in a lack of in game events has been going on for a long time long before the downsizing was thought of.

regards 

What I am trying to say here is that the events will be more based on battles that people know about. This is the job of the history team at wows. The event you speak of is not as widely known outside of the US. I can see his happening if enough of the community get's behind it. I would message a CC about this battle and have them bring it up to Wargaming when they meet up next. All battles fought at sea are significant as our Navy and Marines put they're lives on the line for this country. So did many other countries on both sides of the conflict. I am perfectly aware of the unstable deranged dictators(Hitler,Mussolini) that were in charge then and of the courageous leaders we had(Winston Churchill,Roosevelt, and many more) It is very important that this game steps back from Anime and back into historically significant events. Anime has a place in wows, but historical campaigns have been put on the back burner in favor of anime. It would be better to have a balance of both to appease all parties concerned. Gold of France is a start, but we need more Yanamoto Isoruku style campaigns in the game one for Admiral Nimitz would be a good beginning. Thank you 

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles
3 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

There's also the fact that the ships that fought at Komandorski are in the game, whereas half the ships from Cape Matapan aren't.

Oh really go check your history books not to mention when we do have events based on certain battles do you use that ship personally and only.

Its only under special circumstances that a particular ship is required, 9 times out 10 its the restriction of nation only with tier 4 or 5 above so please don't try and run that line about events.

regards  

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles
7 hours ago, landedkiller said:

What I am trying to say here is that the events will be more based on battles that people know about. This is the job of the history team at wows. The event you speak of is not as widely known outside of the US. I can see his happening if enough of the community get's behind it. I would message a CC about this battle and have them bring it up to Wargaming when they meet up next. All battles fought at sea are significant as our Navy and Marines put they're lives on the line for this country. So did many other countries on both sides of the conflict. I am perfectly aware of the unstable deranged dictators(Hitler,Mussolini) that were in charge then and of the courageous leaders we had(Winston Churchill,Roosevelt, and many more) It is very important that this game steps back from Anime and back into historically significant events. Anime has a place in wows, but historical campaigns have been put on the back burner in favor of anime. It would be better to have a balance of both to appease all parties concerned. Gold of France is a start, but we need more Yanamoto Isoruku style campaigns in the game one for Admiral Nimitz would be a good beginning. Thank you 

I live outside the USA but as a naval history enthusiast i bought books about naval battles from all theatres including battles from WW1 I cant remember every little detail about every naval battle the took place in the Pacific but i know about lot of them.

And this is where the problem arises with certain people if its not got USN involved its either of no interest or we never heard of it so why should be we bother, well just for the record it was a team effort back in those days that did included fleets from other nations.

I have no problem if WOWS /NA promoted every naval battle in Pacific  just as long as they remember there Allies and the opponents they fought. 

regards

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

[MIA-P]
Beta Testers
78 posts
15,853 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

Why do you think Kronshadt is coming before any of the other battlecruisers? 

My best guess is, to see how it and Stalingrad perform in game. With WG testing out those two ships first, that will help them decide where to put famous ships like the Alaska in the game. With the Alaska, they can/could take few different routs with it. They could put it into the game like the Scharnhorst, as a tier 7 or 8 premium battleship. As a tier 9 free xp ship, or at tier 10 as an award ship.  Basically it all depends on how they want to balance it.

Guess i should add, WoWs dose have battlecruisers in game. They just have been classified as battleships. Kongo, Amagi, Hood, and Scharnhorst where called battlecruisers in real life.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
964 posts
11,277 battles
4 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

It's a lot harder to make Big Lebowski references about Cape Matapan, though.

truth.

6 hours ago, tm63au said:

regards 

I've also thought Wows has missed out on the chance to include several naval battles as part of their events.

It can't be that hard to add a paragraph or two and a x2 daily bonus or extra Free XP, and it doesn't have to be something like new camo or a certain boat.

It certainly feels like a little more effort could be done to add more history to the game, I realize WoWs has their priorities (budget) but I know it would make it more enjoyable for some!

Members
116 posts
4,368 battles
19 hours ago, tm63au said:

Oh really go check your history books not to mention when we do have events based on certain battles do you use that ship personally and only.

Its only under special circumstances that a particular ship is required, 9 times out 10 its the restriction of nation only with tier 4 or 5 above so please don't try and run that line about events.

regards  

I believe most of WG's "historical" events or campaigns (Dunquerke, North Sea, Hunt for Bismark, Komandorskis) have featured the ships that were present historically and that are available in the game. Personally I'd love to see more Med-based events, but we probably won't until more of the Italian line is released. The only Italian ships available right now (present at Matapan or not) are all Premiums, and I doubt WG is going to open themselves to more "pay to play" criticism by doing an event people can only take part in if they have to buy the ships needed to play. 

[WOLF9]
Members
8,811 posts
4,180 battles

Well, we can't expect every battle every year.  Battle anniversaries will roll around again, and maybe next year will be Matapan instead of Komandorski. 

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles

@Fitzwalrus I believe most of WG's "historical" events or campaigns (Dunquerke, North Sea, Hunt for Bismark, Komandorskis) have featured the ships that were present historically and that are available in the game. Personally I'd love to see more Med-based events, but we probably won't until more of the Italian line is released. The only Italian ships available right now (present at Matapan or not) are all Premiums, and I doubt WG is going to open themselves to more "pay to play" criticism by doing an event people can only take part in if they have to buy the ships needed to play

hi

You are correct sir there are only Premium Italian ships however not so long ago WG initiated a program of giving both the Giulio Cesare and the Duca d'Aosta to gamers who have not played in a while they flooded the game with these ships not to mention Roma is out there in game, so there is more than enough people with RM ships to have even the most basic of events.

regards 

Edited by tm63au

[POP]
Members
1,453 posts
17,151 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Well, we can't expect every battle every year.  Battle anniversaries will roll around again, and maybe next year will be Matapan instead of Komandorski. 

Hi

Your right I get it they cant do them all but some times they miss even the big ones, these people are so erratic when it comes to naval battle events.

Next month its Operation Weserübung including the 2 Narvik battles are we getting any KMS destroyer events for that or even RN Battleship / Cruiser event  for those battles.

And lets not forget that almost the entire Kriegsmarine was used to support the transport fleet.

regards

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,553 posts
2,090 battles

Eh, the night phase of the Battle of Matapan was less of a battle as much of a "Surprise! Also GG!" - but we also really don't have any of the relevant ships, only a few from the British, or at least ones that fit (only one actually present being Warspite), and none from the Italians.

A Calabria/Punta Stilo event for the summer would definitely work well, however, given we have the two most famous participants of the battle - Warspite and Giulio Cesare. And it's not like it wasn't a landmark - it was the first fleet action fought since Jutland.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,811 posts
4,180 battles

Really?  That should be interesting.  I don't expect a DD event like Vampire and Aigle, but you never know.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
On 3/24/2018 at 2:58 PM, tm63au said:

Hi 

I have been a WOWS gamer for some time now, I'm a regular visitor to the forum and post  on and off and try to keep up with all the latest happenings on the forum.

Over the time i have been checking whats happening on the forum site there have been many different topics written about and points of expressed and discussed one of the more common ones is Bias, this comes in many shapes and sizes the most popular is of course Russian specially when it comes to ship design.

However i have noticed as have others another bias in the form of events based on historical battles, there have been a few posts from other members in recent times on this subject the most recent by  @KalishniKat.

What i have noticed is WOWS/NA somewhat casual approach to creating in game historical events sure we get Pearl Harbour, Midway and Leyte Gulf  and rightly so but other major battles get over looked why is this ?.

At first i thought this might be because staff at WOWS/NA were young and have grown up in a age where naval history was not that interesting if so that's bad on managements part for hiring these people, it may be a arcade game but its based on historical ships and thus your staff should know something about the history of the ships and its career surely.

Then i thought is it laziness ( i have to ask the question ) maybe the staff cant get motivated or creative again this boils down to management hiring these people .

Maybe its the fact that people believe that because its the NA server it should be exclusively about the Pacific theatre or the Atlantic side of NA region if that's the case its narrow minded considering we have ships from all over the world in game.

If that's the case why not make the ships regional based, however i read posts and threads on the forums everyday by NA natives who talk about ships and historical battles from other regions so the idea of exclusivity is nonsense when it comes to the community.

So what is it with WOWS/NA we had the battle of Vella Gulf last year not the most important of battles on the scale of things in the pacific theatre and yet I'm  pretty certain we did not have a Coral Sea event, if I'm wrong I'm certain someone will tell me.

This months we have the battle Komandorski islands yes it was important battle for the pacific theatre as it halted all ship based supply to the only US occupied territory.

However Cape Matapan which was a decisive victory for the Western Allies at a time when the enemy was marching through Europe does not even get a mention considering we have British BBs and CAs in game we have The Perth and we have Italian ships that could be used in events.

So what is it with WOWS/NA  when it comes to creating events for historical battles why are they hit and miss erratic even, they pick obscure battles over the most obvious ones when they have a choice or they just don't have any at all some months , and why are they so resistant and or reluctant to do any event that's based on a historical battle that does not have any USN ships involved and the ones we do get are few and far between and average at best with a few exceptions.

I hate bringing up the bias word but it seems to me that this maybe the case, however i would be happy to here what views WOWS/NA staff have on my post about this matter.

regards  

Maybe WOWS will celebrate this glorious battle when Italian tech tree ships are released :Smile_teethhappy: