Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Timo_Greenwold

Players who feel the need, to others how to play. Why

17 comments in this topic

[TASC]
Members
206 posts
8,295 battles

Players who get themselves sunk in dumb ways, always seem to have a need to tells others how to play.

For me, I am to busy playing to respond in chat, to their dumb comments or suggestions . 

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
1,698 posts
7,331 battles

First ones to die are usually the first ones in chat raging or telling others what to do, best thing to do is to ignore them, after all they are dead.

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,294 posts
12,357 battles

Ignoring a player just because they have died is like ignoring any Doctor, Scientist, Philosopher or Military leader because they are already dead - it makes no sense.  If a player dies foolishly in the first minute, it's easy to see, if a player dies halfway through the match after amassing 4 kills and 2-5 times his own health in damage, it isn't a foolish death.  So always ignoring people who are dead is a zero tolerance policy of fail.

If someone yolo's early and dies, then starts spamming chat - block him on chat and you won't have to start a forum thread on it ....

• Cool 5

[TASC]
Members
206 posts
8,295 battles
1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

If someone yolo's early and dies, then starts spamming chat - block him on chat and you won't have to start a forum thread on it ....

My question is WHY , players have this need to.

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,534 posts
4,059 battles

thinking that all players who use chat to coordinate the team are imbeciles is wrong.  Yes I can see the ones that get sunk first being a bit bothersome but you need to also realize that some of us that type in chat know what we are doing, and it might be nice to listen every now and again.  Heck... You may even win more.

[TASC]
Members
206 posts
8,295 battles

Those players you talk about JollyRoger are helpful. It is the people who think that a battleship can stop and turn like a destroyer, or you can shoot or see through mountains.

[WORX]
Members
3,278 posts
14,695 battles

In some cases, They can probably see a path to secure the win that is more easier. True you dont have to take into account there vision or what they view as the winning path. They are on the sidelines in a coach role cheering on the team if you will. That is why this is a team game, you can always respond with a NO! that is cool too.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
On 3/24/2018 at 12:03 PM, Navalpride33 said:

In some cases, They can probably see a path to secure the win that is more easier. True you dont have to take into account there vision or what they view as the winning path. They are on the sidelines in a coach role cheering on the team if you will. That is why this is a team game, you can always respond with a NO! that is cool too.

Of course, if they wish to be helpful, they should have a better manner about it than some...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
1,224 posts
5,216 battles

When I get my ticket punched, I usually stay around to help spot stuff for my division mate. Enemy ship angling, turret direction, estimated speed of the target, shot fall, estimated location of a stealthed ship, etc...

Regards

CS

[WOLF9]
Members
788 posts
5,790 battles
On 3/23/2018 at 8:08 PM, BiggieD61 said:

Ignoring a player just because they have died is like ignoring any Doctor, Scientist, Philosopher or Military leader because they are already dead - it makes no sense.  If a player dies foolishly in the first minute, it's easy to see, if a player dies halfway through the match after amassing 4 kills and 2-5 times his own health in damage, it isn't a foolish death.  So always ignoring people who are dead is a zero tolerance policy of fail.

Folks seem to either not know how to filter incoming & outgoing pie-hole noises, or can't be bothered to filter; especially on the intarwebs. (Gods of the Copybook Headings were right all along...)

9 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

When I get my ticket punched, I usually stay around to help spot stuff for my division mate. Enemy ship angling, turret direction, estimated speed of the target, shot fall, estimated location of a stealthed ship, etc...

Regards

CS

This one groks^

[JAV]
Beta Testers
281 posts
8,003 battles

Those who can't do, teach.  However, it does not seem to work the other way. 

People sometimes do dumb things in game, but it does not mean they are not a good and knowledge player. Mistakes happen and you should try and give them the benefit of doubt. I made a lot of mistake as an intelligence office but I also got a lot right so never lost my position.  

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

General rule of thumb:

If the person is telling you what to do, and includes insults with their chat, feel free to ignore them.

If a person offers advice in a calm, rational manner, they may have something worth listening to.

Courtesy should be rewarded. Disparagement should be ignored.

Most of the time the ones who are insulting are just venting and trying to justify their misfortune. After all it can't be their fault, can it?

The ones without an axe to grind want to play with better, more knowledgeable players, and are hoping to help you be one of those.

• Cool 2

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles
3 hours ago, Quaffer said:

General rule of thumb:

If the person is telling you what to do, and includes insults with their chat, feel free to ignore them.

If a person offers advice in a calm, rational manner, they may have something worth listening to.

Courtesy should be rewarded. Disparagement should be ignored.

Most of the time the ones who are insulting are just venting and trying to justify their misfortune. After all it can't be their fault, can it?

The ones without an axe to grind want to play with better, more knowledgeable players, and are hoping to help you be one of those.

Outstanding advice @Quaffer!

[TOG]
Members
3,408 posts
17,733 battles

I normally state out what is a good strategy at the start. Especially in Domination

1. Play defensively in the beginning.

2. Do not lemming right away to their base

3. Do not push until we have a 3 ship advantage.

And how many times do players blissfully ignore that?

Members
18 posts
378 battles

side question,  I thought that once you died your team can't see your posts anymore... like a dead chat.  not so much?

[CUTIE]
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles
On 6/1/2018 at 7:54 AM, Bill_Halsey said:

I normally state out what is a good strategy at the start. Especially in Domination

1. Play defensively in the beginning.

2. Do not lemming right away to their base

3. Do not push until we have a 3 ship advantage.

And how many times do players blissfully ignore that?

Statement #2 is mostly true, although we've all seen that work numerous times in Standard battles.  Statements 1 & 3 are patently untrue--until you've seen the positioning of the enemy you cannot know whether a defensive or offensive strategy is best, and waiting for a 3 ship advantage means you're going to lose against all but the absolute worst opponents.  If you need a blanket, "best" strategy to pursue at the beginning of each battle, it's to find ways to put pressure on your opponents, as a team--this generally involves moving forward and aggressively initiating contact.  Once the first few salvos have been exchanged and the majority of the enemy team has been spotted, that's when you can make a proper decision on whether or not to keep pushing.

In the simplest possible terms, playing passively throughout the battle will only work against blindly aggressive opponents who will find a way to get sunk no matter what you do.  Playing aggressively until the flow of the battle tells you to slow down allows you to put your own skills to work and forces the enemy to make snap decisions under pressure, rather than relying on them to make poor decisions on their own.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:25 PM, Timo_Greenwold said:

Players who get themselves sunk in dumb ways, always seem to have a need to tells others how to play.

As @Quaffer said, it's easier to blame others than to blame yourself.  Very rarely the person spewing insults and criticizing others' play is a good player who has reached the limit of the patience during a losing streak.  Far more often, that person paid no attention to the mini map until after they'd died and either cannot or will not consider that perhaps their result (and the team's result) would have been better had they practiced more situational awareness and/or offered advice in a calm and rational manner.  A bit less often that person is just an offensive idiot.

Sign in to follow this