You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

TITANIC's WHISTLE - BRING IT INGAME

7 comments in this topic

Members
3,914 posts
8,376 battles

Admittedly a bit tongue-in-cheek, for all of you on losing streaks out there, I propose an option to have your ship horn/whistle be that of the RMS Titanic. Not totally a spoof as I have written to Aslain proposing he include this in his excellent mods.

Weighing-in close to 750 lbs each, and constructed of heavy-duty hard-wearing bronze, they stood a little over 4 ft tall and were powered by steam.

The whistles were recovered in 1993 and this is what they sound like:

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,148 posts
15,258 battles

Do you wanna summon icebergs of doom? Because this is how you summon IceBergs of Doom. 

:fish_nerv:

• Funny 2

Members
3,914 posts
8,376 battles
2 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

Do you wanna summon icebergs of doom? Because this is how you summon IceBergs of Doom. 

:fish_nerv:

I'm open minded.

[-SYN-]
Members
218 posts
4,509 battles

There's a better one of her in the outdoors. 

It's important to note, however, that they are using compressed air at a lower pressure than Titanic would have operated. As she used high pressure steam. So the tones are sadly different than she would have had in life. 

It was deemed too dangerous to the integrity of the whistles to sound them at original steam and pressure. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
1,204 posts
8,713 battles

slightly off topic, but regarding similar things.

The Union Pacific got back a 4-8-8-4 'Big Boy' Locomotive. It was taken via rail from LA, California to Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Air hoses were attached from the powered diesel locomotives to the Big Boy, allowing it to 'blow' it's whistle, much like the Titanic's one here.

In the youtube clips of it in use, it sounds kinda eerie, giving off a deep, hollow sound.

The Big Boy is currently undergoing restoration into running condition by the UP. It will be interesting to hear the whistle again, this time as it was meant to with steam.

As to the Titanic's whistle, while I know people would be curious, I'm likely one of the few who view the 'sounding' of the whistle in a negative. The ship sank with great loss of life. Sounding the whistle just for the enjoyment of the crowd really is demeaning to the memory of those lost.

I am ok with the ringing of the Edmund Fitzgerald bell, as it is done in a ceremony honoring those who died on the ship, and those who have perished on the Great Lakes. There is great respect in that ringing as a family member rings it as their loved ones name is called.

I see no respect being done for Titanic's lost in how this whistle is used.