Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_Cirno

Actual cyclone visual effect

13 comments in this topic

Members
82 posts
3,189 battles

So, after a few couple dozens of matches spotting 200 meters wide warships only after they're a couple kilometers away from me, I finally got used to the whole cyclone game mechanic. It's still annoying and kinda unrealistic but okay, whatever.

What I've been thinking is, how about you actually make it look like there's a huge cyclone/typhoon going on in the game? Make everyhting around a small radius of sight be a white nerve-racking fog, that would be really cool. I'm pretty sure the light drizzle shown in the game graphics wouldn't be enough to make you completely blind to warships.

This might be kinda irrelevant to actual gameplay but I think it's important for immersion.

Edited by Cpt_Cirno
  • Cool 4

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I kinda hope the hermes type Storms evolve into randoms and do away with cyclones altogether.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I'm just thinking about when radar is popped outside of the cyclone's range.  What would you like to see?  Just an outline of the ship appears?  The fog goes away?  The ship appears as normal on top of the fog?  Or no more radar outside of cyclone range?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Unrealistic in that the cyclone poses no dang, sure. But 8 km of visibility seems reasonable.

[SALVO]
Members
20,153 posts
20,002 battles
55 minutes ago, Cpt_Cirno said:

So, after a few couple dozens of matches spotting 200 meters wide warships only after they're a couple kilometers away from me, I finally got used to the whole cyclone game mechanic. It's still annoying and kinda unrealistic but okay, whatever.

What I've been thinking is, how about you actually make it look like there's a huge cyclone/typhoon going on in the game? Make everyhting around a small radius of sight be a white nerve-racking fog, that would be really cool. I'm pretty sure the light drizzle shown in the game graphics wouldn't be enough to make you completely blind to warships.

This might be kinda irrelevant to actual gameplay but I think it's important for immersion.

Actually, when cyclones first came out, what you're asking for is exactly what cyclones looked like!  As ship got closer to being 8 km from you, they started to get harder to see in the fog and rain, until they disappeared entirely.  it was great!

On a side note, one very amusing thing I noticed at the time was as ships got closer to being 8 km from you and were disappearing, the ships with bright, gaudy camo colors were easier to see than the ships that had more muted color tones that were closer to blueish or grayish.  In essence, the ships with somewhat more realistic feeling camo were harder to clearly see than the ones with the bright and gaudy clown camo.  It was rather amusing in its own way.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[MIA]
Clan Supertester, Supertester
6,442 posts
7,774 battles

Eclipse please! :)

[SALVO]
Members
20,153 posts
20,002 battles
3 minutes ago, Kousatsu said:

Eclipse please! :)

An eclipse might be an amusing thing, though IIRC, in real life (yeah, yeah) eclipses are actually very short term events.  Much shorter than cyclones are in WoWS.

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles
1 hour ago, Cpt_Cirno said:

Just how much visibility do you think a ship has in a major cyclone?

Members
82 posts
3,189 battles
29 minutes ago, TheHolySpork said:

Just how much visibility do you think a ship has in a major cyclone?

By chance, a fairly strong rainstorm striked my city today. Not a cyclone, but still a pretty strong rainstorm,  and since I live at a city in the Amazon Forest these tend to be pretty tough around here. I checked google maps and noticed that I could see the silhouette of a building about 1 km away, but I had no trace of another one about 2 km away. So I guess the detectability range should be somewhere around 2 km, as it is in the game IIRC.

Mind you, I don't mind the actual cyclone gameplay mechanics, this game is not supposed to be realistic at all so these specific gameplay things just go as they go and I suppose we have no word in them. Thing is, during a 8 km  detectability cyclone, I still can see an island at the other edge of the map. I would like the cyclone to make me actually completely blind to anything (ships, islands, water and whatever else) outside that 8 km range, graphically.

Edited by Cpt_Cirno

[SOUP]
Privateers
8,283 posts
43 minutes ago, Crucis said:

An eclipse might be an amusing thing, though IIRC, in real life (yeah, yeah) eclipses are actually very short term events.  Much shorter than cyclones are in WoWS.

Total eclipse lasts for a lil over a minute

[MIA]
6,442 posts
7,774 battles
54 minutes ago, Crucis said:

10 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Total eclipse lasts for a lil over a minute

It would last 8 minutes I'd say.

Edited by Kousatsu

[SOUP]
Privateers
8,283 posts
1 minute ago, Kousatsu said:

It would last 8 minutes I'd say.

Maximum is usually clocked at about 160 seconds long, and that's right under it dead-centre

[MIA]
6,442 posts
7,774 battles
18 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Maximum is usually clocked at about 160 seconds long, and that's right under it dead-centre

For the sake of the game it would last longer than 3 minutes.

Sign in to follow this