Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wye_So_Serious

A Thank You to (some) BBs

30 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
6,143 posts
9,801 battles

Normandie and Tirpitz and MO have not been very consistent with getting good AP hits. It's annoying having to rely on some RNG.

So of course I'll load HE when the AP isn't effective.

[LUCK]
Members
1,795 posts
28,347 battles
26 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

It probably isn't on purpose. We BB captains sometimes have HE loaded for hunting a dd, but the dd is invisible at the time, and we have to calculate the chances of it reappearing before our guns reload if we fire at an alternate target, while considering the time it would take to switch to AP for the non-dd target, and then reloading HE in case the dd becomes visible at some point. With the [edited] spotting mechanics and island-humping in this game, it's nearly always best to shoot whatever you have loaded rather than take a chance on switching. If I shoot a cruiser with HE, those shells weren't intended for him. I either figured the dd would be invisible until after I reloaded, or switched to AP after shooting. A bunch of people are going to crucify me here for using HE instead of AP for dd's, but I can't get the double pen bug to work, at least not enough to outperform HE, and I've tried many times. One or two double pens per salvo is still less than a few HE hits, and those are just the shells that don't miss, which is not many. True fact, I missed a dd at 3 km broadside today because he stopped faster than I thought possible. He might have run into the island there, if so, smart tactic. One exception, if I know a cruiser has used his damage control, e.g. if I k.o. his engine and then he keeps moving, I might not switch to AP because then he has to eat fire damage, if I can light one, which usually takes 3 more salvos. Although my ship always catches fire from the first 8 inch HE shell that hits it anywhere, which is the topic of another thread posted today. imho

I entirely understand the reload time and if HE is loaded, let it fly. I'm referring to serial HE spamming BBs who do not change to the ammo the situation warrants. I mean I suck in battleships and I even know to load AP and wallop a cruiser under 10km. Certainly there are overpens but at that those distances the likelihood of a citadel hit goes up. Outside of RN I find it difficult to watch at tier battleships lob HE at other BBs and cruisers. If you are uptiered, in a BB with decent fire chance (and most do) absolutely HE, sometimes that's your best shot to contribute. Otherwise load AP and leave the HE for blapping DDs and setting CVs and bow-tanking BBs on fire.

[SIDE]
Members
3,953 posts
4 hours ago, LancerUlysses said:

Eh, the point being he thinks it's not an effective tactic and the OP is ridiculing BB players for it. 

B.B. HE wrecks cruisers. Scenario, I’m in my angled  Arizona shooting HE at a bow on north carolina. A Pensacola or Yorck presents itself. Multiple targets at my disposal now. I know I can get massive damage if I shoot at it instead. I will take a 5-10 seconds to rotate turrets and dump 12 big HE shells into the cruiser. I’m not going to risk missing the shot altogether by waiting 30 seconds to change out my ammo. And if the cruiser stays sideways or the B.B. stays bow on why should I? For the slim chance of a citadel? No, I stay concentrated on aiming and stick with what’s working until it doesn’t work and then I change ammo. Conversely, if I am hammering cruisers with AP and a DD presents itself as a tasty target  I’m gonna dump 12 big AP rounds into him rather than miss the shot doing a 30 second reload for HE. Really mindful players may be able to remember ammo swaps or have speed perks for it but for average clickers like me I don’t see a problem with shooting what’s loaded until it’s totally ineffective. Also sometimes the change out is a bad idea if your turrets are firing staggered salvos (fronts then 15 sec later rears or whatever) instead of full broadsides.

Edited by thebigblue

Members
559 posts
3,883 battles

Since the citadel bug, AP certainly does more damage to cruisers. I get a citadel about every other salvo. It would be nice to only use AP and forget HE exists, but there is a situation I get into frequently where HE is better. Some of these guns rotate so slowly that I end up ignoring targets that pop up too far off my line of fire, anyway. If I have HE loaded and can swivel my guns in time, and without missing the opportunity to shoot my desired target, it's gonna fly. I notice that every time I fire my guns, the dd I was stalking pops up for 28 seconds. Then he's invisible until I fire again. I swear they watch which way my guns are pointing. I have no idea why they materialize the second I'm reloading, but it's happened too often and too consistently to be chance. More to the point, I happen to have the reloading perk on most of my BB captains, until the next free reset. It is quite useless, as there is very rarely a situation where you know 15 seconds ahead of time that you will need the other ammo type, but not 30 seconds ahead of time, and have your guns loaded when you realize you need to switch ammo types within 15 seconds, but can't fire now and just reload the other ammo. Extremely rare, those. It would be at least marginally useful to make switching ammo types faster during reloading, but I suppose then people would alternate ammo to reload faster. Or if it wasn't just 50% faster with guns already loaded. That's too long to wait instead of just shooting the "wrong" ammo and reloading the other. And cruisers with 5 second reload will just switch ammo whenever, or probably have used HE for so long they forgot how to switch. Having said all this, I finished off a dd earlier with AP because it was loaded, and sometimes when it'll take my guns more than 15 seconds to swivel to the target, I switch ammo while they're turning.

One last thing, BB captains who sling HE are probably hoping for fires, since they've no doubt been "burned" a few times themselves. Why are cruisers nearly fireproof against 16 inch HE shells? When I was doing 'The Science of Victory' I shot HE for quite a few games to get the fire missions done, and I will say, it can take a lot of battles to light 5 fires by spamming HE. I main battleships, so I shot HE from battleships, much to the dismay of randoms.

Members
9,915 posts
13,288 battles

the fact is that all BBs have a better fire chance than just about any cruiser does, even with flags.... the difference is ROF, which is why it "seems" like BB HE does not cause as many fores as cruisers.... with a two or three to one ratio of reload it seems that way but the % is almost double or more, and in the 40% range for RN BBs....
Now, I am all for BBs slinging HE at me cause when I get double or triple Cit'd it is NOT a fun game... so yeah its cool to burn to them...

But it seems people are getting mad and I am not sure they actually know why they are getting mad... because their BB team mate is not deleting cruisers with AP CIT hits??
I would just conchentrate on helping that BB delte what he is shooting at... more hits from more guns is important enough to let it slide....
certain ships. like the Orion as I pointed out, are WAY better with HE...and some are not, and with the BB meta STILL being that they sit in back then I say, let them burn and pick your broadsides well... when a BB that sits at range starts burning he will turn... and eventually show you what you want to see... and if he does not, then keep him burning... run a few flags and get that % up..

yes it is frustrating to not get the pen you want with AP and when the red team has smart players that refuse to sail straight and true to your guns, well you have to pick your poison and hope you can keep calm and HE on....I would rather the BB fore HE and stay angled then  be behind an island in back, or trying to hit a DD zigzagging around and his guns cannot turn to hit him at all let alone AP useless over pens....or worse, AFK....people seem to make this a bigger deal than it is, and seem to think THEY know what their team mate should be firing, and most times they are wrong, but sometimes they are right...

Also.... I saw a Chappy shooting AP at a bow on cruiser for 3 minutes,....so I ask you.... wth is THAT ALL ABOUT>???     now THAT is something to get worked up about and let him know in chat that he needs to change the way he thinks about this game and its mechanics... not the BB actually doing significant damage shooting what YOU think is the wrong shell type....

Sign in to follow this