Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wye_So_Serious

A Thank You to (some) BBs

30 comments in this topic

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles

To all of the battleships spamming HE at my cruisers recently I cannot express my gratitude and appreciation enough.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

It brings me such joy to see your intriguing playstyle in my cruisers and I encourage you to continue to develop it to the utmost. AP be damned, that HE can start fires! Sure you can get a citadel every now and again however you don't have to be as precise with those beautiful HE rounds.

I assure you I will do my darndest to make sure my green BBs fire AP exclusively so that they don't cheaply imitate your style. Please continue with this lovely experiment in alt-battleship combat tactics, particularly at close (torpedo) range of us cruisers. It's the surest way to make sure the battle is over.

Stay klassy you HE BBs, you know who you are!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Get a grip HE is here to stay and everyone all ships use it. 

2 minutes ago, hofmannsc said:

To all of the battleships spamming HE at my cruisers recently I cannot express my gratitude and appreciation enough.

It brings me such joy to see your intriguing playstyle in my cruisers and I encourage you to continue to develop it to the utmost. AP be damned, that HE can start fires! Sure you can get a citadel every now and again however you don't have to be as precise with those beautiful HE rounds.

I assure you I will do my darndest to make sure my green BBs fire AP exclusively so that they don't cheaply imitate your style. Please continue with this lovely experiment in alt-battleship combat tactics, particularly at close (torpedo) range of us cruisers. It's the surest way to make sure the battle is over.

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
Just now, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Get a grip HE is here to stay and everyone all ships use it. 

You missed the point.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, hofmannsc said:

You missed the point.

That point being you hate for BB's to use it but its ok everyone else can?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

That point being you hate for BB's to use it but its ok everyone else can?

Fairly certain the point was gratitude for choosing the wrong shell type to use against their cruiser.

[MIA-I]
Members
1,232 posts
12,057 battles

Eh, the point being he thinks it's not an effective tactic and the OP is ridiculing BB players for it. 

[GT99]
Members
552 posts
7,295 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

Fairly certain the point was gratitude for choosing the wrong shell type to use against their cruiser.

I agree, there was no hate involved, OP thinks it's funny I believe, he just wrote it out in a more cynical way.

[FML]
Members
2,462 posts
11,866 battles
12 minutes ago, hofmannsc said:

I’ve noticed this too, few times I thought I was dead but German and USN battleships shot me with HE. 

I killed them. 

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

Bingo.! At least 4 times today I've been dead to rights, because I do things I ought not doing cruisers, and had the battleship used AP I would have not taken them out.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
Just now, UltimateNewbie said:

I’ve noticed this too, few times I thought I was dead but German and USN battleships shot me with HE. 

I killed them. 

I killed a full health Bismarck in a low health Atlanta from a few kilometres out a while back because his guns were facing the wrong way and he allowed them to turn on their own rather than maneuvering to speed them up and then proceeded to fire HE at me for two salvos before dying.  He didn't select me for secondaries either until shortly before dying lol.

I've also seen a lot of Yamato players firing HE lately from all ranges.

Supertester
426 posts
7,677 battles

Nice try. Gonna stick to my AP and hit your citadel, my dear cruiser. But let your battleships know that if they angle against me, the HE will sing until they show me their broadsides :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
5 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Eh, the point being he thinks it's not an effective tactic and the OP is ridiculing BB players for it. 

I started taunting them in the chat today and I never do that.

[LUCK]
Members
1,652 posts
22,904 battles
Just now, Captain_Benevolent_Fair said:

Nice try. Gonna stick to my AP and hit your citadel, my dear cruiser. But let your battleships know that if they angle against me, the HE will sing until they show me their broadsides :cap_haloween:

Oh, you're one of those types that likes winning.

[NUWES]
Members
2,129 posts
6,734 battles

I got surprised by a Conqueror coming around an island at me at 6km when I was in Des Moines thanks to a cyclone. I was sure I was dead, but then he fired HE at me while I was bow-on. I just laughed and sank him. He fired 3 HE salvos at me before I sank him. No idea why he didn't just switch ammo and citadel me to death at that range. I thanked him profusely though. lol. 

[USCC2]
Members
4,764 posts

Hmmm, so OP 'ironically' states he thanks BBs for using HE - meaning he is  on the forum telling BB players that AP is more effective (because of his use of irony).

Either he is a very nice player telling BB players the best way to kill CAs (which seems a little strange, telling people how you think the best way to kill you is), or......he did actually get peeved at BBs (maybe RN BBs?) firing HE and doing it effectively enough to bring him on to the forums to 'ironically complain'. Hmmmm:Smile_smile: :Smile-_tongue:

[SP3AR]
Supertester
213 posts
5,666 battles

I cant say i disaprove of bbs firing he at cruisers, because they give a false sense of security to cruisers that I can take advantage of... 

I am a bit disapointed that these players arent really learning, though, and continue to do it.

[RLGN]
Members
10,049 posts
19,462 battles

Perhaps if RNG wasn’t such a (redacted) and would stop giving me lolfail overpens more often than not when I’m shooting at broadside cruisers I would believe in it more? Or even better; ricochets when so many players say to fire AP at bow on cruisers?

But hey; maybe there are players who can fire AP blindfolded and with one hand tied behind their backs and get citadels regularly...

...at times it seems like I can’t get them even against broadside,  stationary or nearly so, targets.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
11,627 battles

My Orion...... never used AP..... never NOT citadel'd a cruiser with it either.....

guess every "RULE" has an exception....

• Boring 1

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,444 posts
10,379 battles

Very rarely fire HE at CAs, but if your a Moskova, Hindy, Des Moines, and bow camping me and shooting me with HE, then yes your gonna get HE and lots of it.  May fire HE as an upper tier Brit BB, usually cause its loaded.  oh btw, fire is a great CA killer, but I do prefer Citadels, their just more fun....and satisfying.

[RLGN]
Members
10,049 posts
19,462 battles
55 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

...oh btw, fire is a great CA killer, but I do prefer Citadels, their just more fun....and satisfying.

Don’t disagree, but I would swear I’ve had more citadels against cruisers firing from other cruisers, on average, than I’ve ever had firing from battleships...

1 hour ago, pmgaudio said:

My Orion...... never used AP..... never NOT citadel'd a cruiser with it either.....

guess every "RULE" has an exception....

Switch ammo types on battleships regularly based on the situation; but as it relates to my comment above; I’d swear I’ve killed more cruisers with fire and blast damage than I ever have with AP.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Members
559 posts
2,601 battles

It probably isn't on purpose. We BB captains sometimes have HE loaded for hunting a dd, but the dd is invisible at the time, and we have to calculate the chances of it reappearing before our guns reload if we fire at an alternate target, while considering the time it would take to switch to AP for the non-dd target, and then reloading HE in case the dd becomes visible at some point. With the [edited] spotting mechanics and island-humping in this game, it's nearly always best to shoot whatever you have loaded rather than take a chance on switching. If I shoot a cruiser with HE, those shells weren't intended for him. I either figured the dd would be invisible until after I reloaded, or switched to AP after shooting. A bunch of people are going to crucify me here for using HE instead of AP for dd's, but I can't get the double pen bug to work, at least not enough to outperform HE, and I've tried many times. One or two double pens per salvo is still less than a few HE hits, and those are just the shells that don't miss, which is not many. True fact, I missed a dd at 3 km broadside today because he stopped faster than I thought possible. He might have run into the island there, if so, smart tactic. One exception, if I know a cruiser has used his damage control, e.g. if I k.o. his engine and then he keeps moving, I might not switch to AP because then he has to eat fire damage, if I can light one, which usually takes 3 more salvos. Although my ship always catches fire from the first 8 inch HE shell that hits it anywhere, which is the topic of another thread posted today. imho

Sign in to follow this