You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Snow freak out?

48 comments in this topic

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles

I live in S Western Ohio and they are predicting 3-6 inches of snow tonight....possibly. Now we do get snow here but anytime they predict anything much over 2 inches the TV weather people got nuts and beat it to death and scare the hell outta people. It gets ridiculous. If you live in a snowy region does 3-6 inches worry you? Hah. :Smile_sceptic:

[MEIST]
Members
1,059 posts
4,213 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I live in S Western Ohio and they are predicting 3-6 inches of snow tonight....possibly. Now we do get snow here but anytime they predict anything much over 2 inches the TV weather people got nuts and beat it to death and scare the hell outta people. It gets ridiculous. If you live in a snowy region does 3-6 inches worry you? Hah. :Smile_sceptic:

You have food this time if you get snowed in? Don't want you having to live off of Vienna sausages ago. :Smile_teethhappy:

Where I live I don't have to worry about snow at all, but the huricanes are a different story.

• Funny 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
1 minute ago, jager_geist said:

You have food this time if you get snowed in? Don't want you having to live off of Vienna sausages ago. :Smile_teethhappy:

Where I live I don't have to worry about snow at all, but the huricanes are a different story.

Ha you remember that thread!  Ya I be ok. Tks. Ha ha. 

[TBW]
Members
7,380 posts
13,558 battles
34 minutes ago, dmckay said:

If you live in a snowy region does 3-6 inches worry you? Hah. :Smile_sceptic:

Looks like you are getting our snow. In Minnesota that is light snow, but for areas that have not the equipment to remove the snow, it becomes a problem. How used to driving in the snow is the population is another factor and is it just snow or freezing rain with snow, matters too. If the ground is above freezing most of it will melt.

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
9 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Looks like you are getting our snow. In Minnesota that is light snow, but for areas that have not the equipment to remove the snow, it becomes a problem. How used to driving in the snow is the population is another factor and is it just snow or freezing rain with snow, matters too. If the ground is above freezing most of it will melt.

We got plows. NP.  Freezing rain is, however, a whole nuther ballgame. I have seen some horrific ice storms in my day. 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

If we get any snow everyone goes from panic to excitement to panic again haha I love it myself, i enjoy going out in i

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I'm in south central Canada.  We're expecting about 6" today and no... it doesn't worry me in the least.  The only things that cross my mind during a storm are the annoyances of shoveling and drying the dogs off every time they come in.  I just got a puppy last week too, so it's outside every bloody hour lol.  When it gets about double that it's a bit irritating because I might get snowed into the garage.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,205 posts
14,107 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

No....

I live in Iowa, the 9 to 12 inches we expect does.

First, it' a heavy wet snow .

Second, wind 35 and up....

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,095 posts
11,073 battles
48 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I'm just going to leave this here. 

MIAN5Ue4QgG4C5aN3CXX-RyjU8sW619bbCR3sw8g

Sounds about right for when I was growing up near Chicago !!!    lol  When I was old enough to drink ( was lowered to 18 the year I turned 18 and went back up when I turned 21 three years later lol ) I walked to party's two times in blizzard conditions ; just made sure to bring a bottle of brandy with me ! 

:Smile_honoring:

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
7,517 battles

Down here in Houston 3 inches of snow would be declared a national disaster on a nuclear war or zombie apocalypse level!

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
23 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Sounds about right for when I was growing up near Chicago !!!    lol  When I was old enough to drink ( was lowered to 18 the year I turned 18 and went back up when I turned 21 three years later lol ) I walked to party's two times in blizzard conditions ; just made sure to bring a bottle of brandy with me ! 

:Smile_honoring:

My daughter lives in Chicago.  6 inches is a "dusting". A foot they laugh at. 2 feet is a bit more serious but it don't faze them! I think they got the best corps of snowplows in the U.S. Your car parked in an illegal snow zone on the street?  Hell they just shove/plow it off the street and you may get damage money in bout a year or so if you got the patience to jump thru their city hall hoops. Maybe. They don't mess around.  Been there a bunch of times.

[MEIST]
Members
1,059 posts
4,213 battles
16 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Down here in Houston 3 inches of snow would be declared a national disaster on a nuclear war or zombie apocalypse level!

I hear ya. Here in South Florida if we got that, then everyone North of us would be froozen solid.

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
29 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

Ya but you do live in one of the most flood prone regions in the country. Carry on and good luck. You had a BAD one. 

Members
4,723 posts
7,748 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

No....

I live in Iowa, the 9 to 12 inches we expect does.

First, it' a heavy wet snow .

Second, wind 35 and up....

Wind really makes things worse.  Much worse.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
7,517 battles
4 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Ya but you do live in one of the most flood prone regions in the country. Carry on and good luck. You had a BAD one. 

Yea we live about 60 miles south of Houston and there are still people in the neighborhood beside ours working on their houses from Harvey.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

I live in the rocky mountains at a little over 8k feet from sea level.

Nobody cares until you get about 10 inches, and then we just avoid driving down into the flat lander territory. The tourist traffic also lightens up, which is nice.

24+ usually means school closes, I still go to work.

36ish means the local commercial grocery store gets cleaned out, but the little Mexican general store is a safe bet if you need snacks.

Because of the wind, we really don't get more than that. And it's always melted in a day or two.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Supertester
1,982 posts
9,196 battles

Im 50 or so miles south of Chicago... we're supposed to get 5-8" tonight/tomorrow.  I'm so tired of snow and cold.  Ugh.

In answer to your question,  no it doesn't worry me.  Over 18"+ is when its a pain, but never a worry, just an inconvenience.

B

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts

It depends a lot on how well the area is set up to deal with snow. Out here in rural Kansas pretty much any snow depth is not much of a problem because everyone has a four-wheel drive and a tractor and the road crews have plenty of snowplows. When I live in the Portland, Oregon area, however, I noticed that the city would come to a complete standstill when it received more than a couple inches of snow. The communities that were located a half-hour away up on the mountain though this hilarious. You can sort of see why a place that hardly ever gets below 45 degrees in the winter doesn't have many snowplows though.

This winter, we've had no snow at all or rain either -- no precipitation since August. We just came out of a ten-year drought last year. I sure hope we are not going back into one. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
4 hours ago, dmckay said:

Pfft. Sounds like a normal day in Canada during Winter. 3-6 inches that's nothing, I'm sure @LittleWhiteMouse would agree. If you want to see real rediculous reactions, look up how Georgia was basically paralyzed for a day because of wait for it........1 cm of snow.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,369 battles
4 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

I'm just going to leave this here. 

MIAN5Ue4QgG4C5aN3CXX-RyjU8sW619bbCR3sw8g

First of all hilarious and oh so true. Though there is a flaw, Canada is not there. If it was all it would say is; Pfft, "What's the big deal?", but still should be there.

[TF-64]
Members
410 posts
14,575 battles

It never ceases to amaze me when during a snow I see more 4wd trucks stuck than cars because some idiots can't fathom that they have to change how they drive just a little for the weather. It ain't how fast you can go, it's how well you can stop for the unexpected. My girlfriend used to be terrified of driving in the snow. Now she understands how to handle it better and is just cautious. But then again this is Tennessee and even a blinker seems to be a lot for the locals to grasp. 

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,148 posts
15,278 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

First of all hilarious and oh so true. Though there is a flaw, Canada is not there. If it was all it would say is; Pfft, "What's the big deal?", but still should be there.

I grew up in southern Missouri where we might get a few inches of snow but most likely we would get an inch of ice from freezing rain. Ice storms are no joke especially if the area doesn't keep the trees out of the power lines. Case in point several years back North West Arkansas got hit with an ice storm then wind and all those trees people didn't tend to [because they are pretty < real reason for not clearing out the power lines] brought down the power lines. Hundreds of people went with out electricity for months. 

I now live in Northern Missouri and we can get an inch of ice or 17 inches of snow. Had a 12ft drift near my house one January. But I have traveled all over the US, north to south and east to west. I find there are a few responses to snow from the southern take of either, "If the Lord brought it the Lord can take it" and Panic the world is ending. But to be fair these areas see so little snow they don't know how to respond. The middle of the nation is kind of like, whelp snow is falling better put the plow on the 4x4 and grab the shovels but first empty to grocery store of milk, bread and pop-tarts. Mild annoyance with a mix of media induced panic. Than you have the norther portion who pack it down and drive on the stuff. Heck the farther you go north the more fast food restaurants that have drive through windows for snow mobiles.  

Edited by RedSeaBear
  • Cool 1