You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
centarina

Theory crafting: Being bottom Tiered help or hinder your WR?

57 comments in this topic

[Y0L0]
Members
9,651 posts
12,281 battles

We always hear complaints about being bottom tiered a lot.   I seem to see the complaint coming mostly from  Newer player.      While being bottom tier will be more challenging to perform ,  it does  have benefit of giving you more XP   for given performance. For myself, I don't care about MM that much.    I tend to pay fair amount of t5 and t8.  Looking at my own stat,  i actually  seem to do better at t5  compared to  t6.  

Bottom tier means  our individual  influence on match is lower, but if you are below average player,  that may actually be a good thing as   RNG with MM will have bigger influence on your WR  bringing it closer to 50%.    We also tend to learn more from  failure and challenging situation.   This means you should be improving faster as bottom tier .   

So, what is about being bottom tiered that bothers you so much?.       if you are above average player,  it does hurt you a bit, but then most of those players div up with better players anyway.      only players that may be affected are better solo players, but this is such a small group, who cares about them.   

overall,  don't let being bottom tiered bother you so much.   have fun and improve (or not if you don't care) .   

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

It hinders simply because you have less control of the 8% of the game you're responsible for.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Being bottom tier when t5, or t8 can be frustrating, just because of the dramatic improvements in the ships between then and the top tier. But I view being bottom tier as an opportunity to be unexpectedly influential. A lot of bottom tiers don't seem to expect to make an impact, which usually means that a bottom tier that does make an impact a bigger bonus to the team.

Edited by cometguy

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
7,785 battles

Bottom tier is probably one kind of hindrance or another to all but DDs. Torpedoes and stealth are great equalizers. 

Members
1,808 posts
11,393 battles
11 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Being bottom tier when t5, or t8 can be frustrating, just because of the dramatic improvements in the ships between then and the top tier. But I view being bottom tier as an opportunity to be unexpectedly influential. A lot of bottom tiers don't seem to expect to make an impact, which usually means that a bottom tier that does make an impact a bigger bonus to the team.

I've been is so many battles where surprising enough the top performing ships were bottom tier. 
Bottom tier with some ships is quite manageable. For instance, tier 5 Kami or Iron Duke. I can perform as well as any t7 because those are great ships.
Tier 6 - Fuso  can cit most tier 8 BBs and can hold it's own.
Tier 7 - Lyon and KG5 can also hold their own in T9 battles 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[RN716]
Members
42 posts
9,154 battles
18 minutes ago, centarina said:

only players that may be affected are better solo players, but this is such a small group, who cares about them. 

tumblr_p42issYwpF1rg3vrmo1_500.png

Edited by Kelsier3

[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

Theoretically It should hinder your WR, because theoretically you have less carry potential. But since the overall player base is pretty meh, its not too hard to be top XP and carry games when botton tier. 

[NLIST]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,936 posts
10,679 battles

Just finished grinding my z23. I don't care what tier I was placed in. 

[CK5]
Members
1,016 posts
9,022 battles

My expectations change depending on what tier I am in.  If I am low tier, then my goal is to just win the match.  If I am high tier, then I expect to win and heavily influence the match.  Either way, it does not particularly bother me to be low tier.  

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,512 posts
5,551 battles

Bottom-tiering hinders you if you are good, because your ability to carry is limited by the weakness of your ship compared to your competition. However, if you are a sub-50% WR player, it may end up helping since you aren't expected to carry. If you are hard top-tier being, for example, one of the only tier VIII battleships in a game you are expected to do a  lot of work. If you are a potato, then your failure to heavily influence the match has put a lot of pressure on the bottom-tiers in the game.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

Just finished grinding my z23. I don't care what tier I was placed in. 

Almost there Almost there..... Luke you turned off your targeting computer. Sill in the EG But close

[WUDPS]
5,021 posts
4,848 battles

WOWS: playing on a team with 14 other random strangers...and facing a team with 15 random strangers...

[WOLF7]
Members
11,586 posts
26 minutes ago, centarina said:

We always hear complaints about being bottom tiered a lot.   I seem to see the complaint coming mostly from  Newer player.      While being bottom tier will be more challenging to perform ,  it does  have benefit of giving you more XP   for given performance. For myself, I don't care about MM that much.    I tend to pay fair amount of t5 and t8.  Looking at my own stat,  i actually  seem to do better at t5  compared to  t6.  

Bottom tier means  our individual  influence on match is lower, but if you are below average player,  that may actually be a good thing as   RNG with MM will have bigger influence on your WR  bringing it closer to 50%.    We also tend to learn more from  failure and challenging situation.   This means you should be improving faster as bottom tier .   

So, what is about being bottom tiered that bothers you so much?.       if you are above average player,  it does hurt you a bit, but then most of those players div up with better players anyway.      only players that may be affected are better solo players, but this is such a small group, who cares about them.   

overall,  don't let being bottom tiered bother you so much.   have fun and improve (or not if you don't care) .   

I play mostly 5-7. Over Xmas I played 132 games 79 of them bottom tier.28 top tier. I lost about .5% in win ratio during that time.. haven't really played much since....:Smile_teethhappy:

And it really doesn't matter whether you think it's an issue or not....considering this games retention issues, I'd say it's a problem for newer players.

[NLIST]
2,936 posts
10,679 battles
6 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Almost there Almost there..... Luke you turned off your targeting computer. Sill in the EG But close

It's a really fun ship. Although I only got top tier 2 times, the 150s really pack a punch against enemy dds.

5ab53dccc08b9_Screenshot_20180323-1345273.thumb.png.b21fdd9963df17c14a23e0988b652855.png

[WDS]
Members
1,633 posts
8,416 battles

If you play a Bismarck or a Tirpitz  in tier 8 it can be rough when u are constantly in tier 10 games . The play style doesn't really fit your ship strengths its hard to brawl in those games with so many good CA and long range bb at tier 10 . However I think your right it helps you make adjustments in play style , probable helps you to improve , and the Bismarck and the Tirpitz are very capable ships . I don't mind except that it happens a little too much and I really don't belong in tier 10 games yet . But I'm not complaining what doesn't kill you makes you stronger unfortunately I usually end up dead .

Members
4,724 posts
8,116 battles
14 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I've been is so many battles where surprising enough the top performing ships were bottom tier. 
Bottom tier with some ships is quite manageable. For instance, tier 5 Kami or Iron Duke. I can perform as well as any t7 because those are great ships.
Tier 6 - Fuso  can cit most tier 8 BBs and can hold it's own.
Tier 7 - Lyon and KG5 can also hold their own in T9 battles 

My tier 5 Kirov can get it done when over tiered. 180mm guns. It's a match for most tier 6 cruisers. 

Members
1,662 posts
14,253 battles

Don’t have a problem being low tier, do have a problem the number of times you are low tier based upon tier and type of ship.  I have a lot of tier 8 ships, but this tier, especially for DDs and cruisers for Solo players get tiered two tiers up a majority of the time.  I have pretty much all the tier 10 ships and plenty of credits, so if I want to play a tier 10 random, with competitive ships, I would just grab one of them.  For a while now, jumping into a tier 8 dd/Cruiser has resulted being at a disadvantage vs higher tier ships.  For the first few times it is “OK, I can handle the challenge”, then as the up tiering continues it is “Really? Again?”,  then after a few more times it is “You got to be friken kidding me”.  If the intent is to push me into playing my tier 10 boats more often, parking my tier 8 boats as port queens, it is working.  

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,703 posts
3,895 battles

It doesn't really help or hinder me. I still perform decently when bottom tier.

But it does get tiresome when it happens 9 out of 10 times I hit Battle.

[TBW]
Members
7,531 posts
13,811 battles

Ship type makes a big difference when I am bottom tier I would rather be bottom with a BB than a cruiser and probably would rather be in a dd than a cruiser too.

[WDS]
Members
1,633 posts
8,416 battles
8 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Don’t have a problem being low tier, do have a problem the number of times you are low tier based upon tier and type of ship.  I have a lot of tier 8 ships, but this tier, especially for DDs and cruisers for Solo players get tiered two tiers up a majority of the time.  I have pretty much all the tier 10 ships and plenty of credits, so if I want to play a tier 10 random, with competitive ships, I would just grab one of them.  For a while now, jumping into a tier 8 dd/Cruiser has resulted being at a disadvantage vs higher tier ships.  For the first few times it is “OK, I can handle the challenge”, then as the up tiering continues it is “Really? Again?”,  then after a few more times it is “You got to be friken kidding me”.  If the intent is to push me into playing my tier 10 boats more often, parking my tier 8 boats as port queens, it is working.  

Yes well said , a challenge every once in a while is great but at tier 8 it seems to happens way too much .

Edited by clammboy
left a word out

[Y0L0]
Members
9,651 posts
12,281 battles
32 minutes ago, Kelsier3 said:

tumblr_p42issYwpF1rg3vrmo1_500.png

i do play most of my matches solo   .  oh well.    

I do agree that when I am top tiered, I play more aggressive and go for carry vs bottom tier, esp in BB.    if I am bottom, I do play bit more conservative until match is developed.    but lot of players just camp or lemming train, and in those situation, I just don't see being top or bottom make any difference.   heck, at least bottom gets you more XP.  

[SQUAD]
Members
8,140 posts
8,404 battles

I feel it depends entirely on the lower tiered ship, and how good you are with it. Omaha, for instance, is a ship that suffers heavily being uptiered, however, in my first round today, someone drove theirs to 1600 base and lead the match. Now they could have just had a really good match, or they could have simply been really good with the ship, either case, Omaha just doesn't perform like that against T7 for virtually anyone. Certain BB's don't uptier well, some, like OR, manage it due to the specifics of that ship, whereas Bretagne doesn't uptier well. Gneisenau against Iowa, you may get lucky, but you're most likely going to get wrecked.

And, of course, there's NY, which doesnt even do well at it's own tier. xD Texas, however, does. She doesn't uptier all that well, though, except against CV's.

Members
1,808 posts
11,393 battles
22 minutes ago, dmckay said:

My tier 5 Kirov can get it done when over tiered. 180mm guns. It's a match for most tier 6 cruisers. 

Yes but a glass canon. One broadside hit and it's all over Rover!

[KRAB]
Members
808 posts
7,260 battles

There often isn't as big of a power difference between tiers, especially for Destroyers and some Battleships. Lower tier DDs usually have a concealment advantage (except tier 6 and 7 due to the concealment module coming in at tier 8) and faster reloading torpedoes which can help in a brawl. The old-school WW1 armor scheme also makes it easier for lower tier BBs to shatter HE shells and angle off shots - a QE actually has an advantage over a KGV when using AP due to this, for example. 

My plan is just to try my best to outplay everybody regardless of tier, and it is slowly working more often as I gain more experience. 

Members
22,793 posts
5,794 battles
45 minutes ago, Madwolf05 said:

It hinders simply because you have less control of the 8% of the game you're responsible for.

That's just it though. That isn't always a bad thing, depending on which 8% you're responsible for.

If you and I were on a team, we'd be better off with me in a bottom-tier ship and you in a top-tier, than vice versa lol.