You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
OceanHavoc

Port Queens

65 comments in this topic

[DAWGZ]
Members
47 posts
9,931 battles

What are your Port Queens and why did they become part of the "Mothball Fleet".
And why do you keep her rather than sticking something more useful in her port slot?

Shamefully I have a few on my list.

Katori - At T2 I only pull her out for a few matches when a friend joins WoWs. Beautiful ship, so at least she's nice to look at while you sail at a snails pace to the battlefield. 
Vampire - T3 pull her out when I feel like trolling.
HuangMeh - She's really just a place holder. Scared if I sell her I might get her again should there be another Santa Gift event.
Duca d'Aosta - Just cant get her to work for me. Plan to learn her tricks after finishing current grind.
Atago - Just can't get her to work for me. Plan to learn her a bit later.
Kamikaze R - Love this ship to bits and she has served me well. Will return her to "active" service once I completed the IJN DD grind or an event calls for her use.
Hiryu - Not a CV player. Keep her for CV orientated missions.
Independence - Not a CV player. Keep her for CV orientated missions.

*(HunghMeh, Duca and Atago were received in Santa Gifts, before this post turns into a "why did you buy a HughMeh?")
** Collectors need not to reply with "Because I'm a Collector" to all 150 ships in their port.

[KNMSU]
Members
5,282 posts
5,531 battles

Too many to list, really. Some prominent candidates include Duca, Gascogne, Dunkerque, anything Russian, Missouri, de Grasse and probably a dozen or so others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Really, I probably only play 1/10th of my collection routinely.

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles

The annoying Campaigns constantly railroad me on what ships I can use.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
8,130 posts

If a ship just doesn't click with me I sell it and move on. The only exceptions to this are the ARP ships, which I can't sell. I would never sell the Takao/Agago though as it's a very good tier VIII heavy cruiser. With a stealth build it can stealth torp and I have it outfitted with RPF so I can contest caps and hunt DDs too. It's amazing how upset DD drivers get when you keep sending torpedoes their way when they are supposed to be "undetected" at less than 10 km.

[5BS]
Members
6,682 posts

Depends on your definition; if it's a ship you *never* play, like over the course of 150+ matches, in any mode, I have maybe 2 or 3 out of 104 ships (not including Anime clones). If it's just ships that are never played in PvP, it's a great deal more, since I have tons of T6 and T7 boats I would never play in randoms but I keep around for fun times in Operations.

But I'd say overall the following:

HuangHe: Santa crate. As much as I wanted an Arethusa, this isn't what I had in mind. Rarely even use this in Operations

Okhotnik: I don't play T5 all that much, and not T5 DD's.

Kirov: Had it for when Ops allowed T5's, as it was pretty nice as an only slightly worse Molotov, but since they made that changed I haven't touched it.

Edited by _RC1138

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,847 posts
4,145 battles

Murmansk  and New York unfortunately..

Both really great ship however I don't play in tier 5 for fun anymore. 

[-K-]
Members
6,088 posts
10,229 battles

For premiums:

Atago - because 155mm Mogami exists at the same tier

Nikolai - not much fun, in my opinion

Marblehead - because a fully upgraded Omaha is arguably better

Mutsu - don't really enjoy her very much

Belfast - feel dirty for just playing her

Campbeltown - because there are funner DD options at T3

Krasny Krym - because, literally, anything is more enjoyable to play at T5

Duca D'Aosta - won't touch her again until the Italian cruiser line needs a captain grinded up

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,202 posts
7,205 battles

Gangut (won't even try to spell her Long Name) - Why Play her if you have Cesare?

Okhotnik - I couldn't get her to work, and Kami R is more fun

Katori and Yuubari - I blame the British Battleships

Mikasa - Bwahahahahahaha

Alabama - I don't feel comfortable with Battleships, that's no secret

Duke of York - I wonder why I don't Play her...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,988 posts

Every once or twice a year, I run through each ship in Co-Op to break the boredom.  With 122 ships in port, this can take a week or more for me.

I can tell it's been a while because the captain has the skills reset.

Sorted by less recent use:

Aoba:  Premium Camo with 10|10 captain (reset)

Gnevny: Premium Camo with 0|6 captain.  The captain is set up for Battleship skills, so I borrowed it for the Oct. Revolution.

Budyonny: New Years Camo with 10|10 captain

Blyskawica:  10|10 captain.  Too bad we couldn't use this one for Hermes...  Ground captain up from zero.

Duca D'Aosta:  11|11 captain.  Ground captain up from zero.

Perth: 0|10 captain..   Not reset because that's the only setup this captain will use..  slow smoky crawl through battle.  Ground captain up from zero.

Baltimore:  Premium Camo with 10|10 captain.  Hey..  I use the daylights out of the Des Moines.  Why bother bringing a T9 ship?

St. Louis (US):  2|2 captain.  Last used on Anniversary collection task and not disposed of afterwards.

ARP Takao, ARP Myoko, ARP Nachi, ARP Haguro, ARP Ashigara:  The captains have been retrained to IJN tree ships.  Used these to accumulate upgrades when they went on sale last time.

Kaga, Lo Yang, Saipan, Fuso, Warspite, Alabama:  Been too busy grinding to have fun with these boats.  Expensive as they were...  Rusting in port they are.  Fuso has New Years Camo with a 0|10 captain (Mikasa setup?)

...  I'm getting depressed...   Time to grind onward to finish the French mission...

Members
4,299 posts

I find my port queens to be a certain tier.

Tier 2 - I just don't play.

Tier 8 and 9, just really dislike the play style of T8-10 games.

Don't have T10, can't force myself to get past the play style of high tier games.

If you take my favorite tier and type of ship which is T6 and BBs, then my port queen is the Fuso.

[O_O]
Members
5,001 posts
11,217 battles

Mikasa, Emden, Smith, Nikolai, Campbeltown, Ishizuchi, Sims, all of the ARP Kongos and Myokos, Tachibana, Duke of York, Albany, Aurora.

I also have several IJN DD's that I rarely play, but can't bring myself to play.  Hatsuharu was such a beast before WG made me choose between smoke or TRB.

Most of these were free, but I paid for some.  It isn't that I never play them, because I will dust one of them off every once in a while and take it out for a game or two. And, I usually enjoy it when I do.

Still, I would like to have a separate, "mothball" or "dry dock" carousel in port to store rarely used or special purpose ships.  It would clean up my daily carousel.

Edited by desmo_2

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
9,580 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Still, I would like to have a separate, "mothball" or "dry dock" carousel in port to store rarely used or special purpose ships.  It would clean up my daily carousel.

That's what I use the "set primary ship" option for in the carousel.  The ships I want to make sure I play every day are primaries

Members
1,628 posts
13,935 battles

Have 99 ships - 1/2 premium and 1/2 tech tree.

Don't often play below tier 5 - so all my tier 2 -4 ships rarely get taken out

Poor performing ships like Duca, Indy, Marblehead, Murm, now Dunk

Many of my tier 8 ships just sit in port, because any time I take them out - instant tier 10 game...

[O_O]
Members
5,001 posts
11,217 battles
1 minute ago, Panzer1113 said:

Many of my tier 8 ships just sit in port, because any time I take them out - instant tier 10 game...

Interesting.  In my last 205 games in tier 8 ships, I have only been bottom tier in 39% of them.

[SPTR]
Members
3,549 posts
6,386 battles

Nagato - Ever since I got her a year ago, the pain train of power creep started. Now that I have the Germans that are faster and much tankier, the Hood if I feel nostalgic (and to be violently exploded), and Nelson that really should be a tier 8. Nagato's good guns, sheer beauty and balanced characteristics made it hard for me to sell her like I did with Colorado, but I don't really play her anymore.

Atago/ARP Takao - Two very very competent cruisers, but I feel like they are just a little phased out by the IFHE light cruisers. I got the Kutuzov that can trash on tier X battleships, and "15 guns is always fun" Mogami. Both can deal more damage consistently while possessing tools to be equally survivable or stealthy.

Amagi - She's one of my most played ships. Ever. And honestly I don't know why I don't play her anymore.

Großer Kurfürst - She's just not my playstyle. Her main guns have all the disadvantages a Battleship gun can possibly have: poor normalization, poor accuracy, poor penetration, poor shell weight, and flat arcs. Combined with her terrible gun arc and maneuverability makes playing her feels like a chores to me.

Belfast - I'm cheeki. But not that cheeki.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Graf Spee, October Revolution, Perth, Vampire, probably a few other premiums and tech tree ships I got for free, that either don't fit my play style or I just haven't felt the urge to take to sea. But I still have empty port slots, so there's no need to dismiss any ship unless it just really gets on my bad side.

Edited by cometguy

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

I enjoy the HunghMeh in scenarios where having almost the highest numerical T6 AA is beneficial.  She quite literally chewed most planes in Killer Whale.

[RLGN]
Members
10,029 posts
19,421 battles
47 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Marblehead - because a fully upgraded Omaha is arguably better.

Sold my Omaha. Liked Marblehead and Murmansk more.

48 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Krasny Krym - because, literally, anything is more enjoyable to play at Tier 5.

The Donut has been a blast. Like Emerald, I treat it like a Destroyer Leader and do just fine in it.

53 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Belfast - feel dirty for just for playing her.

At least you seem to be able to make it work? Port Queen because Belfast (like all RN cruisers after Emerald,) has been useless garbage for me.

20 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Interesting.  In my last 205 games in tier 8 ships, I have only been bottom tier in 39% of them.

Consistent with the data I’ve collected about my own T8 games.

Des Moines; because no matter what I do; all it ever does is explode.

Molotov; why players love this exploding seagull poop target more than the faster reloading Budyonny boggles my mind.

Enterprise, Shōkaku, Lexington; because unlike apparently everyone else; (who seem to delete ships at will, according to all the complaints about CVs being OP,) all I ever got in high tier games was slaughtered.

Bismark, Tirpitz; because the secondaries/torpedoes never worked for me.

• Cool 1

Members
2,392 posts
8,974 battles

I only play T10 and T7 with three exceptions: Musashi, Missouri, Giulio Cesare.  Everything else, sadly, does not get played.  Which is a shame, because ships like Alabama, Kutuzov, Tirpitz, Atago, Loyang and many others are just costly eye candy with possibility of being used for specific missions or ranked...

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Shinonome - My least-liked ship in port.  By far.  I categorically, unequivocally hate the damned thing.  The only reason why I haven't gotten rid of it is that it's a boat that cannot be reacquired, and that I have port slots to spare.

All of the ARP/Dragon Myokos and Kongos - I have tech tree versions of both, with high-point captions in each.  However, I still play the APR Atago sometimes with Yamamoto aboard.

Khabarovsk - Obviously a good boat, but by the time I stopped using the Khab I hadn't seen a single winning match after weeks of playing her.  WR in the boat quickly plummeted from the 60s to the 40s.  Had enough of that.  Thinking about selling it.

Missouri - It's another one of my boats that simply refuses to see winning games in PvP.  Besides, I suck in the thing, and just gave up on it.  Only dust it off for an occasional bot match now.  Very disappointing, considering the hype surrounding her and the expense of FreeXP in getting it.  In hindsight, it wasn't worth it and wish I had just saved the FreeXP instead, but that's just me.  Clearly, others do very well in the Missouri, so hats off to them.

[-HON-]
Beta Testers
486 posts
11,988 battles

125 ships in port with 62 premiums.  Most of the premiums have come via crates/rewards/campaigns.  

I do not sell premiums, even if it is a ship that I can not cause damage in co-op, as the next super/Santa crate may have the turd in it.

I did sell silver ships I thought I would no longer use.  Then the first season of ranked came out and I had to buy a ship back so I could play.  I now keep all ships, not because I'm a collector, but because if a game mode comes out that is tier respected, I will have a ship for it.

I bring low tiers out for laughs every now and then.

That said my CVs are port queens as I suck in playing them.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
7,509 battles

It's the Tirpitz for me. I bought it when it first came out. I was basically still a tier 4/5 player at the time and thought "man if I get the Tirpitz I'll instantly be better". Got my Azz handed to me and have been gun shy of her ever since for some reason.

Members
3,914 posts
8,376 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Gangut (won't even try to spell her Long Name) - Why Play her if you have Cesare?

Oktyabirskaya Revolutsiya, it rolls off the tongue after awhile... not.  I play her and the Cesare for their unique attributes.

Re OPs question, I play all the ships I have, now and then. I keep them out of game-play uniqueness (whether I am good or bad on a ship) and historical interest.