You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Just got Shimakaze and got Kraken within 3 days using 20km torps

23 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts

Just got the Shimakaze this week and been using Atago to farm credits to upgrade her to full. Finally got last upgrade last night and then today got the Kraken achievement which I've never managed to get before. Got close a few times with 4 ship kills but it's hard in a DD, probably be easier if I used a fast shooting cruiser. What was really neat was everyone talking how 20km torps suck but that's about all I used. My guns did a little damage but not much. Got several torp hits very far out and managed to get off a full volley right before I died and the ship had no chance. Soon as I died I watched with a smile as all those torps went right to his broadside and I knew in that moment I was gonna get it. Also was using a Dragon signal and my captain got over 20k xp for that round. Doubt anyone cares but I was happy so wanted to tell someone :P
lArgus1.thumb.jpg.802a494d7ddf8e1df84cbe735814380b.jpgArgus2.thumb.jpg.bb765d6a3095973f62fe77b6e535c071.jpgArgus3.thumb.jpg.23ea3cad8fdf878bae1328d070985b22.jpgArgus4.thumb.jpg.fb78cc9b116023020e6c6d0d4a80e98a.jpgArgus6.thumb.jpg.7e7c84045408728f8efc951d5b8a8386.jpgArgus7.thumb.jpg.6ee1bf4ff8409bc3de53eee9bef2e99f.jpgArgus8.thumb.jpg.ffa1e8faa4c7bd9e5b124a931d5b7d50.jpgArgus9.thumb.jpg.e4095515a9e652846df1eefb502b3fa9.jpg

• Cool 4

[WORX]
Members
3,443 posts
14,789 battles

Getting a Kraken in a shima is hard if you dont know how to hit ships with torps at long rang. Its a very hard torp skill to master, but congrats, we need more torp DDs out performing there gun DD counterparts... Cheers!

[PNP]
Members
131 posts
9,571 battles

As a shima captain, I do recommend trying the 12km torps. The detection range and speed on the 20km torps makes them too dependent on the enemy making huge mistakes or just luck.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
6,139 posts
10,299 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralOthuyeg said:

As a shima captain, I do recommend trying the 12km torps. The detection range and speed on the 20km torps makes them too dependent on the enemy making huge mistakes or just luck.

Agreed.

Plus, the 12km torps are more stealthy and harder to detect by the enemy.  The 20km options have a ridiculous spotting range, which makes OP's performance even that much more impressive.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
5,020 posts
11,294 battles

Even though highly visible, 20 km torps tend to catch the reds off-guard.  Players who thought themselves out of danger from DD's suddenly find themselves sitting nearly stationary with incoming torps.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,895 posts
8,777 battles

Cool good for you,

now accelerate those torps which will up the speed and only lower the range to 16km.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

Where are these BBs that fall for one of the most avoidable torpedoes in the game? I could use some of them in my games.

• Funny 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Something about a broken clock still telling the right time twice a day comes to mind. 

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
22,475 posts
3,895 battles

Congratulations, you were in a match with idiots on the enemy team that you could take advantage of. The environment in which the IJN destroyer line is suited to.

Sadly, as those targets smart up, your effectiveness will go down by a huge margin.

[O7]
Members
1,015 posts
14,165 battles

When it comes to shima, the key to getting a kraken is completely incompetent enemies. It's really your only chance, ESPECIALLY running 20ks

• Funny 2

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

The first game in my Gearing, resulted in 4 or 5 kills from a batch of torpedoes that I sent out that missed their intended target - only to strike and sink several red ships that I didn't even know were beyond it (unspotted). Really loving the long range torps on it since suffering with short range torps in all other USN DDs (I made them work, but it's so much easier now). Before this I couldn't torp any ship moving away from me unless I was within 5k or they'd outrun the torpedoes, now I can torp anything 12k moving away and still get a hit.

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,470 battles

Perfect map for 20km torps too. Just got my shimmi too but not fully upgraded yet and no great games yet. Great games like this help off set the bad

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,361 posts
8,084 battles

You should enjoy the 12 km torps when you get them then. My first game with the 12 km torpedoes was a solo warrior. 

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,910 battles
35 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

The first game in my Gearing, resulted in 4 or 5 kills from a batch of torpedoes that I sent out that missed their intended target - only to strike and sink several red ships that I didn't even know were beyond it (unspotted). Really loving the long range torps on it since suffering with short range torps in all other USN DDs (I made them work, but it's so much easier now). Before this I couldn't torp any ship moving away from me unless I was within 5k or they'd outrun the torpedoes, now I can torp anything 12k moving away and still get a hit.

How many times have you done this? I got a dbl Dev strike/ Dbl Strike in mine the last time I played. Same as you fired at one and hit two others that weren't even spotted camping behind an island. Good fun:)

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
4 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

How many times have you done this? I got a dbl Dev strike/ Dbl Strike in mine the last time I played. Same as you fired at one and hit two others that weren't even spotted camping behind an island. Good fun:)

I'd say in about 50% of my games I get at least 1 torp hit on a ship that I didn't know was there (well past my intended target). Honestly can't say how often I sink them doing it (never kept track), but it is fairly often. My favorite was a squad wipe - 3 clanners in a division (who coincidentally talked a lot of smack during the game) all got wiped out by a single spread I launched and didn't even know they were there. 3 kills

Edited by FleetAdmiral_Assassin

Beta Testers
1,488 posts
8 hours ago, AdmiralOthuyeg said:

That is exactly how he got the kraken. Notice only 133k damage out of 8 torp hits and 5 kills. Of which 3 died because they had less than 6k hp, one had 14k hp and then one kill with 42k dmg (probably was 2 torp hits with flooding on it) and a non-kill of 42k damage. 

So I'm guessing he hit the NC and Minotaur with 2 torp hits each with most of the flooding damage being applied to the Mino (or mino took one torp and all flood damage which wouldve done the 40k neeeded to kill it and the NC took 3 torps)... so thats 4 out of 8 torps.. and one torp per each of the other ships he sunk. 

Its not a bad battle but as Admiral said here, it was mostly based on luck and the opponents simply ignoring the slow, visible from 2.5km and wide-spread apart torps coming at them (shima torps have the widest separation between torps in a single salvo even when using narrow spread). 

Shima 20km torps are garbage. Russian devs are still [edited]-sore from Tsushima and it shows it in this game in droves. Nothing IJN can nor will ever be fixed. 

Members
34 posts

Since I posted this I've had several more great games in the Shim, again using the 20km torps. I love them because often I will fire and forget them, only to hear a minute later that I sunk a ship. I will say you have to be careful and not aim them back towards your own base or starting area. It's easy to do when your under fire from a ship and your not focusing on the whole map but it sucks if your long range torp hits one of your own battleships lol. 
I look for around 3 enemy ships grouped close together in an area and I send the spread of torps to them. Usually I get at least one hit because they are so far away that they don't think they are in any danger. Those Battleships also like to sit and camp behind islands and I can be really far away(say 16km) and fire towards them and by the time they see the torps they can't get moving fast enough to dodge them. 
I'm about to grind the IJN cruiser line to Tier 10 so taking a break from the Shim for a while. Have fun out there :)

Members
5,201 posts
9,061 battles

20km torps are too dependent on luck and incompetent enemies. They might be "fun", but if you want to help your team the most, I wouldn't recommend using them. 

Members
1,050 posts
4,671 battles

The only 20km torps I would consider are the ones on Asashio :Smile_trollface:

You will never hit intended target with shima's 20kms if enemy is not a vegetable, which begs the question just what kind of special players you had in that match...

Any BB can make perfect 90 degree turn in time it takes those torps to reach their target after being spotted.

Also, if my calculations are correct, 3 of OPs kills (dds) were done with guns.

Edited by Vaitmana

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,470 battles

Reading this i have tryed the 20m torp landed 4 on enemy and one on our top bb oops going back to 12km torps

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles
On 3/23/2018 at 11:25 AM, Snargfargle said:

20 km torps teach BBs who just sit in one place with their engines off  to rethink their ways.

No it won't, they will just cry on the forums because of 'hacks' and 'broken' IJN torpedoes and beg WG to further nerf them into the ground