Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Fletcher main battery build: Worth it?

29 comments in this topic

Members
1,202 posts
3,156 battles

I'm working on my fletcher commander (only 10 points right now) and getting the ship upgraded. I've noticed just how good it is at knife fighting. I'm thinking about getting BFT next (I have PM, LS, survivability expert, and concealment). Is it worth getting, or should I go for something like superintendant or the torpedo reload skill? 

Edited by CarbonButtprint

[-BRS-]
Members
346 posts
17,598 battles

Get, BFT, VG, and torp reload for the remaining 9. 

Members
1,029 posts
5,608 battles

Not really. BFT isn't bad on a Fletcher but there are better skills. Basics of survivability is worthless on DDs. Dump it and get torpedo reload and survivability expert. Adrenaline rush is also great. 

I guess if you don't want to use RPF (which is quite valuable IMO) you would have the skill points for BFT. 

[WOLF5]
Members
691 posts
24,140 battles
12 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

I'm working on my fletcher commander (only 10 points right now) and getting the ship upgraded. I've noticed just how good it is at knife fighting. I'm thinking about getting BFT next (I have PM, LS, basics of survivability, and concealment). Is it worth getting, or should I go for something like superintendant or the torpedo reload skill? 

I'd take survivability expert over basics of survivability. The Fletcher is absolutely the best USN torp boat and arguably the best torp boat of all DDs. I'd take torp reload followed by adrenaline rush. Depending on what you want to do with the last 4 points, RPF or BFT/VG and PT. 

[L-H]
Members
82 posts
8,745 battles

I run the full aa build on it, without manual aa. It’s realky fun to see a t10 cvs reaction when you shout down 30+ of there Aircraft 

Members
1,202 posts
3,156 battles

Sorry for confusion, I wrote the wrong skills. I'm a potato (lol). 

This is what I have: Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, concealment. 

[SQUAD]
Members
8,036 posts
8,371 battles
3 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Sorry for confusion, I wrote the wrong skills. I'm a potato (lol). 

This is what I have: Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, concealment. 

PT, LS, SI, CE should be your first 4 skills, SI can be switched with torp reload time, but SI should be the next 3 point skill. SE is, honestly, wasted compared to the other 2 3 point skills.

Members
1,125 posts
7,801 battles

I use PT, AR, LS, SE, BFT, MAA, CE on a captain I use on fletcher and kidd.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,156 posts
15,330 battles

This is my Fletcher Captain and ship module build. 

2bYAUpW.jpg mtYI8KI.jpg

I have played 394 games in my Fletcher and I enjoy this build and find to an effective Cap Defender. 

Members
1,029 posts
5,608 battles
23 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

PT, LS, SI, CE should be your first 4 skills, SI can be switched with torp reload time, but SI should be the next 3 point skill. SE is, honestly, wasted compared to the other 2 3 point skills.

Adding more than 3,000 hitpoints to the Fletcher is far from a waste. 

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
25 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

I agree.  If you're going to be brawling with enemy DDs while contending for caps, extra HP are never a bad thing.  Heck, arguably it's more important than a -10% reload reduction on torps.  In my experience, it's rare that I'm spamming out torps so quickly that a 6 second reduction (on a 60 sec base reload [for argument's sake]) is game breaking for a DD.  But 3k extra HP comes in quite handy in DDvDD brawls.

And as nice a torp boat as the Fletcher can be, it's also an excellent cap brawler.

Members
1,202 posts
3,156 battles
38 minutes ago, Crucis said:
1 hour ago, Rocketpacman said:

I agree.  If you're going to be brawling with enemy DDs while contending for caps, extra HP are never a bad thing.  Heck, arguably it's more important than a -10% reload reduction on torps.  In my experience, it's rare that I'm spamming out torps so quickly that a 6 second reduction (on a 60 sec base reload [for argument's sake]) is game breaking for a DD.  But 3k extra HP comes in quite handy in DDvDD brawls.

And as nice a torp boat as the Fletcher can be, it's also an excellent cap brawler.

Right, and this is the playstyle I enjoy. Which is why I went for survivability expert first, especially since I'm just now getting the hull upgrade. I think having BFT will support the play that I most enjoy, and why play a game if you aren't having fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Supertester
194 posts
21,880 battles

Fletcher is such a nice ship you can make it several ways. You can get the torp reload down to 81 seconds focusing on the torpedoes. You can be an AA monster with a full AA build (1069 dps out to 5.0 km for 36 seconds of defensive fire) against a targeted squadron.

Edited by BoraHorzaGobuchul

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,540 posts
14,692 battles
2 hours ago, checksix51_2 said:

It’s realky fun to see a t10 cvs reaction when you shout down 30+ of there Aircraft 

That said, you would you be surprised at the effectiveness of an aircraft whisperer.

Members
1,125 posts
7,801 battles
22 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

It's best played as a torpedo boat IMO. 

A pure torpboat or hybrid?

[PSP]
Members
8,131 posts
3 hours ago, Rocketpacman said:

Not really. BFT isn't bad on a Fletcher but there are better skills. Basics of survivability is worthless on DDs. Dump it and get torpedo reload and survivability expert. Adrenaline rush is also great. 

I guess if you don't want to use RPF (which is quite valuable IMO) you would have the skill points for BFT. 

I have TAE, AR and BFT. Just now in a game I did this:

Untitled.jpg.49ca55f9860609c6c9076bc86073d893.jpg

Note that my guns landed a whole lot more hits than my torpedoes.

[INTEL]
Members
9,822 posts
27,863 battles

I took AFT and BFT. In high tiers many BB drivers stop, reverse slowly, or beach. Even Fletchers crappy gun arcs can easily hit them. Also comes in handy fir aa...

[WOLFB]
Members
2,572 posts
10,459 battles

Fletcher is a hybrid so going for guns isn't bad. But Fletcher also has quite broken torps so it's a waste to not invest in torps

[SQUAD]
Members
8,036 posts
8,371 battles
13 hours ago, Rocketpacman said:

If you've gotten into a situation where you need that 3k extra HP in a DD, you are so definitely doing it wrong.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,076 posts
6,263 battles
18 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

If you've gotten into a situation where you need that 3k extra HP in a DD, you are so definitely doing it wrong.

Akizuki's high healthpool make SE more worth it.

One of the main things I base my CO Skills on are how they are compared to other ships. I compare a "bad ship" that needs the skills to a 
"good ship" that already makes up for it without them. Sometimes making something that is already the "best" better is not worth it. Just like how making something "horrible"  better is not worth it

Example 1:

• Fubuki: Slow turning and slow reloading
    • Needs skills to make them better
  • Akizuki: Much faster turning and faster reloading
    • Does not need the same skills
  • Fletcher: Very faster turning and faster reloading
    • No need at all for BFT or AFT since they are the best

My example may be a bit weird... but it is what it is.

[SQUAD]
Members
8,036 posts
8,371 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

Akizuki's high healthpool make SE more worth it.

One of the main things I base my CO Skills on are how they are compared to other ships. I compare a "bad ship" that needs the skills to a 
"good ship" that already makes up for it without them. Sometimes making something that is already the "best" better is not worth it. Just like how making something "horrible"  better is not worth it

Example 1:

• Fubuki: Slow turning and slow reloading
    • Needs skills to make them better
  • Akizuki: Much faster turning and faster reloading
    • Does not need the same skills
  • Fletcher: Very faster turning and faster reloading
    • No need at all for BFT or AFT since they are the best

My example may be a bit weird... but it is what it is.

Aki is a special case, her high HP pool and the ship she is, with her slow speed and the ability to AP BB's to death from range, she benefits from SE much more than is normal for a DD. There are also game modes where it helps, like CB's and Ranked. I was speaking more to the viability in normal PvP.

[-TXT-]
Beta Testers
1,587 posts
17,732 battles

The Fletcher is my most played ship.....she is an excellent DD imo and arguably the best torp boat in the game.  My comments, based upon trying a number of builds, are:

- Run it as a torp boat first and foremost.  As such you need both TAE as a three point captain skill and Torpedo Mod 3 in the sixth slot.  This lets you reload your 10 fairly high speed and high damage torps in just 81 seconds.

- Use your guns to defend yourself if need be, or to finish off hurt ships, or for attacking (if you can do so safely) non-gunboat DDs.  As such you should take BFT for the extra 10% dps.

- I use premium consumables so I don't have to use Superintendent - that allows the use of those three points for Survivability Expert.  That gives you extra 3,150 hps (or 18% more health).  I have this to be very valuable is helping to survive later into the game where your excellent torps really start to be of even greater value.

- I also do not use Gun Fire control system 2 to keep my gun bloom distance 10% lower, again to help survivabilty.  Rarely is losing that distance a problem since the guns have so much arc that far away

- I also use Defensive Fire and not Speed Boost since you sometimes cannot avoid a CV from trying to keep you spotted or from attacking you.  DF coupled with the extra 20% avg. damage you get from BFT puts a hurt on planes.

- PT, PM, AR, LS, and CE round out my other captain's skills

Again, this is where I've ended up after trying other builds.....the longer you survive in a battle in the Fletcher the better she gets. 

Sign in to follow this