Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SailorDeadpool1XPOIXKita

Why cant there be a option to turn off chat?

32 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles

So I'm trying out a new mod from aslain or known mod option to turn off the chat. But why cant wargaming just adds the option to turn it on and then off. Because there were times like the weekends where teams are terrible or bad and doesn't help that your teammates that you are playing with are just can negative bad as possible with their words. Sure u have an option to mute them but what the point of doing it over and over and over on the weekend when this mostly doesn't happen on a weekday or weekday night? Anyway until the next update hit, I am enjoying a peaceful chat box until i need to update aslain.

• Cool 3

[RKLES]
Members
8,930 posts
10,828 battles

When you get into a battle and really negative people are in the chat tap the return key as if you wanted to type a message, then hold control key to allow you to have the mouse cursor appear, then you will notice an X icon just below where you type your chat messages, click that symbol and chat is muted except for the game’s auto messages.

• Cool 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Amen. I'd rather not have to deal with a bunch of pointless negativity.

[RKLES]
Members
8,930 posts
10,828 battles
1 minute ago, Elegant_Winter said:

Amen. I'd rather not have to deal with a bunch of pointless negativity.

Yeah I only have to do it some of the time when you get the really negative players innthe battle, rest of the time I leave chat on since it can be helpful and some teams actually are encouraging each other and quite pleasant. So I usually just wait and see.

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
18 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

When you get into a battle and really negative people are in the chat tap the return key as if you wanted to type a message, then hold control key to allow you to have the mouse cursor appear, then you will notice an X icon just below where you type your chat messages, click that symbol and chat is muted except for the game’s auto messages.

i know i know there this option. But sometimes it just time consuming . and i like to be lazy. If i really need communication is always Teamspeak.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,614 posts
42 minutes ago, 5D_Kitakami_Megatron said:

So I'm trying out a new mod from aslain or known mod option to turn off the chat. But why cant wargaming just adds the option to turn it on and then off. Because there were times like the weekends where teams are terrible or bad and doesn't help that your teammates that you are playing with are just can negative bad as possible with their words. Sure u have an option to mute them but what the point of doing it over and over and over on the weekend when this mostly doesn't happen on a weekday or weekday night? Anyway until the next update hit, I am enjoying a peaceful chat box until i need to update aslain.

Get a post it and stick it to the screen. Chat off

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
192 posts
13,706 battles
52 minutes ago, 5D_Kitakami_Megatron said:

Sure u have an option to mute them but what the point of doing it over and over and over

It's an extra mouse click or two per match but soooo worth it. 

Small price to pay for getting rid of a useless annoyance. 

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

WG gets ideas from Mods.

They've actually added some in the Vanilla client.

At some point, they might end up adding this one.

Ya never know..

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
30 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I only have to do it some of the time when you get the really negative players innthe battle, rest of the time I leave chat on since it can be helpful and some teams actually are encouraging each other and quite pleasant. So I usually just wait and see.

I do not know why this is now a TOPIC every day. I ignore the crap but it has uses. Can players not ignore the dumb stuff?  It is far far far worse in WoT.  Pretty mild here in WoWs.  My 2 cents.  Won a game tonight due to chat." CAP!  Stay on cap!"  That was all I said and DD did that.  Easy win and we were down in ships. They were too far away to stop it.  I saw he was leaving cap.  Stay!  Worked.  Win.:Smile_sceptic:

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles

Just get rid of the ALL chat channel and prevent dead players from using text chat and IMO a lot of the problems would be solved.

Arguably, they "could" remove all text chat, but then they'd really need to greatly increase the number of canned Fn key messages, probably to the point that it would become extremely cumbersome to use.  After all, let's say that there were 36 different Fn key messages.  I use the number 36 because my keyboard has 12 Fn keys, and there could be 3 different Fn+ combination keys... by which I mean, Fn key by itself, or CNTL+Fn key, or ALT+Fn key.  So 3 x 12 = 36 combinations right there.

However, imagine trying to find the message you want to send off of some menu of Fn keys.  It could be a nightmare unless you memorized all 36 combinations.  And even with 3 radial menus, it'd still be difficult to find the right canned message.

About the only thing I could see that could help in this regard is if the messages were created in such a way that they fit into 3 groups.  1 group for ALT+Fn key, 1 group for CNTL+Fn key, and the last group for the bare Fn key.  1 group might be casual messages, like Good Luck, Good Game, Affirmative, Negative, Thank You, the masked obscenity "$#@%!", and so on.  Then with the other two groups, try to find a common thread for each group.  (I don't have much of an idea on this one, so I left it vague, but I suppose that with some thought a commonality could be found.)

Thus, if each of the groups was known for a certain theme, like bare Fn key for casual messages, ALT+Fn for group 1 of combat messages, etc., then people might begin to know what group to look under for the message they want to use.  And I think that that would be easier than having a big laundry list of canned messages and having to look through a list of 2-3 dozen messages whenever you wanted to send one.

Anyways, that's all I have on this....

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,930 posts
10,828 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

I do not know why this is now a TOPIC every day. I ignore the crap but it has uses. Can players not ignore the dumb stuff?  It is far far far worse in WoT.  Pretty mild here in WoWs.  My 2 cents.  Won a game tonight due to chat." CAP!  Stay on cap!"  That was all I said and DD did that.  Easy win and we were down in ships. They were too far away to stop it.  I saw he was leaving cap.  Stay!  Worked.  Win.:Smile_sceptic:

That is why I only turn it off it is clear certain players are in the battle chat that will Spam chat with nonsense the entire battle. By muting chat in those battles and hopefully others doing the same it allows the auto messages such as concentrate fire on a target, or cap this base, or fall back, ect. to still get through. Optimally not having profanity spammed entire match so more complicated battle coordination can happen, but muted chat is an ok second option.

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
6 minutes ago, dmckay said:

The problem is that it can get annoying.

If you get in a  battle with some jerk who insists on spamming map pings constantly every 2-3 seconds for the entire match, it'll drive you crazy.

And occasionally, you'll get some people who want to  turn battle chat into a  god damned General Chat channel.  It's annoying as all hell, not so much because of what they're talking about (because it's usually annoying but harmless) but because it's clogging up chat so badly that it becomes impossible to communicate battle related info to your team mates. Now to be fair, I haven't see this in quite a while, but back in Open Beta it was happening rather often.

Members
192 posts
13,706 battles

Good heavens but those F'n keys are useless.

It's just chat spam and there's no way to turn it off unfortunately.

I do my best to ignore it... which isn't easy to do, but I'm getting better.

Hey WG, I'll *pay* for the option to turn that crap off! Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That is why I only turn it off it is clear certain players are in the battle chat that will Spam chat with nonsense the entire battle. By muting chat in those battles and hopefully others doing the same it allows the auto messages such as concentrate fire on a target, or cap this base, or fall back, ect. to still get through. Optimally not having profanity spammed entire match so more complicated battle coordination can happen, but muted chat is an ok second option.

Well, if it's the same 1-2-3 players who are doing it, just individually mute them.

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You have a point. I just do not see a huge problerm with chat.  Just my opinion.  Carry on

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles
3 minutes ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

Good heavens but those F'n keys are useless.

It's just chat spam and there's no way to turn it off unfortunately.

I do my best to ignore it... which isn't easy to do, but I'm getting better.

No, they're not.  I use the F3 key (i.e. target THAT ship) a lot during battles.  I don't do it maliciously.  I do it for pretty much one of two reasons.

1. To alert team mates to a DD or CV that's just been spotted.

2. To try to get team mates to target a badly wounded enemy to finish off.

If you want to promote good team work and focus fire, judicious use of the F3 key is essential, and at least for me, successful.

• Cool 1

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Just get rid of the ALL chat channel and prevent dead players from using text chat and IMO a lot of the problems would be solved.

Arguably, they "could" remove all text chat, but then they'd really need to greatly increase the number of canned Fn key messages, probably to the point that it would become extremely cumbersome to use.  After all, let's say that there were 36 different Fn key messages.  I use the number 36 because my keyboard has 12 Fn keys, and there could be 3 different Fn+ combination keys... by which I mean, Fn key by itself, or CNTL+Fn key, or ALT+Fn key.  So 3 x 12 = 36 combinations right there.

However, imagine trying to find the message you want to send off of some menu of Fn keys.  It could be a nightmare unless you memorized all 36 combinations.  And even with 3 radial menus, it'd still be difficult to find the right canned message.

About the only thing I could see that could help in this regard is if the messages were created in such a way that they fit into 3 groups.  1 group for ALT+Fn key, 1 group for CNTL+Fn key, and the last group for the bare Fn key.  1 group might be casual messages, like Good Luck, Good Game, Affirmative, Negative, Thank You, the masked obscenity "$#@%!", and so on.  Then with the other two groups, try to find a common thread for each group.  (I don't have much of an idea on this one, so I left it vague, but I suppose that with some thought a commonality could be found.)

Thus, if each of the groups was known for a certain theme, like bare Fn key for casual messages, ALT+Fn for group 1 of combat messages, etc., then people might begin to know what group to look under for the message they want to use.  And I think that that would be easier than having a big laundry list of canned messages and having to look through a list of 2-3 dozen messages whenever you wanted to send one.

Anyways, that's all I have on this....

Dead players often have done the MOST to win a match.  When dead you can see the whole pic and have good input.  Some however abuse it.  I know what you mean.

Members
4,723 posts
7,872 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

The problem is that it can get annoying.

If you get in a  battle with some jerk who insists on spamming map pings constantly every 2-3 seconds for the entire match, it'll drive you crazy.

And occasionally, you'll get some people who want to  turn battle chat into a  god damned General Chat channel.  It's annoying as all hell, not so much because of what they're talking about (because it's usually annoying but harmless) but because it's clogging up chat so badly that it becomes impossible to communicate battle related info to your team mates. Now to be fair, I haven't see this in quite a while, but back in Open Beta it was happening rather often.

I understand. 

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
3 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

don't know how many times chat had people who would listen. mostly u have a guy who will spam the commands never open up or u have a team that will just go a and c and never goes as a main force group. If wargaming just allows a 7 man division for random would be great but it could be too op because face it clan would destroy the non-clan players very fast.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
394 posts
2,788 battles
On 3/23/2018 at 11:03 AM, Ducky_shot said:

communication with your team is definitely a bad idea.

Talking to a herd of cats does little quite often

Sign in to follow this