Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ShadowShark_127

How do I find battles with human teams and not bots?

13 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
139 battles

Hey, all,

I signed up for WoW but the ships are mostly bots and I'm ready to join the world of real people.  My friend who turned me onto the game doesn't deal with bots but doesn't know how to help me. Where do I find battles with human teams?

Thanks.

Edited by ShadowShark_127

[DENY]
[DENY]
Beta Testers
253 posts
10,468 battles

You have 7 battles in co-op(battle against bots), and 46 battles I random battles ( battles against real players). So you seem to found it 46 times not sure why you are asking.

[PLPT]
Members
9,915 posts
11,635 battles
6 minutes ago, REZ_0311 said:

You have 7 battles in co-op(battle against bots), and 46 battles I random battles ( battles against real players). So you seem to found it 46 times not sure why you are asking.

zFFqz4r.jpg

Edited by pmgaudio

Members
3 posts
139 battles

That's just it, my random battles are against bots!  When I set the game to Random and click "Battle!"  the timer screen says "there is a maximum waiting time of 1 minute for a Random Battle.  Any vacancies will be filled by bots."  There seem to be a couple of live players on both sides (no colons before their names).  Someone told me the wait time should be 5 minutes and there should be no bots in Random games at all.  My Co-op battles have bots but only on the opposing team, which I am told is normal.  Anyone know what's up with that?

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
328 posts
6,198 battles

You get protected matchmaking until you reach a certain account level to protect you from dirty stinky seal clubbers.  Due to this some of your random battle rosters will be filled with bots to prevent long battle que.

[VVV]
Members
391 posts
2,400 battles

1. As stated above, you are in protected matchmaking, which limits the number of players you can be matched with.

2. If you play at off-peak hours (I.E. when most of America is asleep), bots can fill those places

3. Lower tiers almost always need some bots to give you a full game. This will persist until about tier 3 or 4.

Members
3 posts
139 battles

Really???  Huh.  OK, I guess that's good for noobs and I like the short queue but man, 100 battles?  It will be a week before I get to play the game for real, then.  

Just read the thread that Hampton posted which verifies the "protected" thing.   

OK guys, thank you for clearing up the mystery.  Hope to see you "for real" on the high seas soon!

SS

[RLGN]
Members
10,125 posts
19,511 battles
5 minutes ago, ShadowShark_127 said:

OK guys, thank you for clearing up the mystery.  Hope to see you "for real" on the high seas soon!

Don’t sweat the bots; the protected MM and co-op are always good for testing out new ships, and the bots can be easier to deal with than real players while doing so.

Speaking from personal experience; don’t be in a rush; better to calmly climb the tech tree than to rush and get frustrated by the drubbings likely to occur because of limited experience in the game.

[WOLF7]
Members
11,420 posts
2 hours ago, ShadowShark_127 said:

Hey, all,

I signed up for WoW but the ships are mostly bots and I'm ready to join the world of real people.  My friend who turned me onto the game doesn't deal with bots but doesn't know how to help me. Where do I find battles with human teams?

Thanks.

You are in protected status. Until you reach level 11 and tier 5, you will see only new players + bots in random. Unfortunately there aren't a bunch of new players, so you get mostly bots.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

The game naturally tries to ease you in so don't worry you'll be able to show your skills against live players in no time! 

[-TOG-]
Members
77 posts
1,748 battles
12 hours ago, awiggin said:

You are in protected status. Until you reach level 11 and tier 5, you will see only new players + bots in random. Unfortunately there aren't a bunch of new players, so you get mostly bots.

I am pretty sure this is not true (at least not the Tier 5 comment).  I am playing Tier 3 and I am pretty sure I see seal clubbers as there are people who have what look to be rankings from what I assume are ranked battles (bars and stars next to their names - visible after the match in the team stats).

Beta Testers
112 posts
1,366 battles

BOTS,  MATCH WAITS and SERVICE RECORD RATING

Your player-account service record determines whether you fight bots or not.

To access this, start up the game. From the port screen click on the top center button "PROFILE."  On the next screen, click the "Service Record" button on the upper left side. Your service record rating will be a value between 1 and 15.

If you are value 10 or lower, you will be matched into battles within 1 minute. If the match-making logic (on the server) can't find humans with appropriate Tier ship(s), it will substitute bots. Since players graduate to value 11 and higher fairly quickly, bots are common because humans are in short supply. All bots have a colon (:) at the start of their captain's name. The names are historical naval leaders.

If you are value 11 or  higher (11 is the level that allows the use camouflage on your ship), matchmaking changes. You can now wait up to 5 minutes for a fight. With this amount of time, the match-maker virtually always finds human opponents, even those using Tier 1 ships!

As a general rule, despite all the raging about incompetent human players, bots are generally poorer than humans. Bot DD captains will charge into close range, and wait until super close range (2 km or less) to fire torpedoes. Bot gunnery is generally below average, but will improve if they keep firing at the same ship, or are really close. Bot cruiser and battleship captains tend to be aggressive, seeking out the nearest enemy and engaging. They have relatively little interest in caps (capture areas), but can move into them in their quest to engage enemy ships.

Notice that because of this system, as a rating 1-10 player, you could end up against mostly or all humans, and therefore have a more difficult fight. However, the odds are good that each side will have half or more its ships commanded by bots. In almost 100 battles at Tier I to VII, I cannot remember a single battle with bots where match-making was 5 minutes (rating 11 or higher). I have seen "desperation match-making" logic occur in the later stages of the 5 minute wait, resulting in battles with an abnormally small number of ships (12v12 is normal size), and/or a greater than normal mis-match of ship types and tiers.

CAVEAT:  The change from 1-minute to 5-minute matchmaking, which causes the disappearance of bots, was at service rating 11 when I happened to notice it in early March, 2018. However, wargaming.net may modify this value, so don't take this as an absolute rule. In addition, I could have mis-read my value change at the time (hey, nobody's perfect).

Sign in to follow this