Tpaktop2_1

Support – A study in improving FPS on client systems for WoWS

5 comments in this topic

[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,060 posts
12,373 battles

I know that some of you may have been experiencing FPS drops when playing World of Warships (WoWS) as explained here.

However the FPS drop is not all a Wargaming fault alone, however the situation is amplified in playing WoWS. I have done a study in looking into this subject. What I have found is that  the client system can be the major part of the problem caused by Microsoft Windows 10. 

I configured my system now to be a gaming system and not a general everything system that Microsoft has given me for a Windows 10 system. If anyone has a problem on the procedures in getting your system FPS game optimized, then everything can be rolled back and is reversible to their original settings. Take screen-shot captures of your settings if you are uncomfortable in any of the steps. 

Note: Do not delete or un-install the Microsoft Xbox Application!!!

To start you will need to get the FRAPS software to record you FPS responses in their logs. Noted below is the free software web site. This will measure where you are for a bases starting point.

To give an example for FPS measurement, here are my before and after FPS benchmarks

FRAPS Benchmark report

Before

Minimum Maximum Average
21 63 26.254

After

Minimum Maximum Average
72 75 73.315

A 36% increase in average FPS

To start I did the following:

1. Un-install any software (Games) that you don't play anymore
2. MSConfig changes
3. Turn off useless Windows Services
4. Turn off Windows privacy feedback settings in the control panel
5. Turn off Xbox settings  settings in the control panel
6. Change Power Options advance settings for the processor in the control panel
7. Turn off Remote access in the control panel
8. Modify the Windows registry

Un-install any software (Games) that you don't play anymore

This could be a personal preference and you could skip this step. There could be processes running in the background such as updating services for those games. If you don't play them, then get rid of them. You don't want these processes sucking up your computer resources. You can either un-install the software in the Windows control panel or use a program like the CCleaner software which will be listed below.

MS Config

UPDATE: The procedure listed below for MSconfig in changing the core settings, is for debug purpose only.

It does nothing in helping change the client FPS. Please disregard and skip this procedure

The system has to read the system settings when Windows is  booting up. Now Microsoft has given you just enough settings to get you going as a Windows user. To open the MS Config program press the Windows Key and “r” key to open the RUN window. Then type msconfig to open the program.

Spoiler

7XOZ8AQ.jpg

Verify these boxes are check for the drives as shown below

LbZGNIr.jpg

Click on the boot tab at the top and then advance options button

gxh2e4p.jpg

You will now see how many processors Windows 10 uses for its operating software as a default. I bet you will only see the default setting as “one”. Yes that means Windows has been running on just one core processor. 

To access all of your processors, click on the “Number of processors” box and scroll down to the bottom number. Then click the apply button. Now all of your processors will be used by Windows 10

MgnnMW2.jpg

Next item to look at is your services on startup. This part is optional. You can skip this step entirely if you are not sure of what programs to stop on start up. Click the box in the lower left for hide all Microsoft Services. 

Sfvyv5f.jpg

You will now see what services are started on boot up. Un-click programs that you don't want to boot up when your system starts up. Click apply and OK to close out the window.

Your system will now have to be rebooted after these changes.

Microsoft Services to turn off

Spoiler

dmwappushsvc - A service created for using Windows 10 in multiple languages at one time. For me, English only is used so this service is turned off.

evbz3S4.jpg

Fax – Really?? Who uses a Modem anymore? 

gZjiVFz.jpg

Superfetch - Index service for enhancing Microsoft software applications only. This does not apply to any other applications

55HQ1DK.jpg

Xbox Services - Title says it all. More to be edited later too. BTW, Windows will not allow you to turn off the Xbox Monitoring service. Its OK to leave Xbox Monitoring service running at it's setting.

x9Isu3d.jpg

Turn off Windows 10 privacy settings

I went through all these settings in the control panel and turned them off

Spoiler

General Privacy – IMO none of these are useful for my purposes

DhVWHHd.jpg

App Diagnostics – No software company will allow Microsoft to send them data. MS products feature only

TJHMr5A.jpg

Background Apps – The margin of swiftness in opening is not noticeable to me to justify in keeping it on.

kxtWgCs.jpg

Call History – Stop tracking me

DeGg1gl.jpg

Feedback Settings – Nope. BTW have you ever read Microsoft's KB articles? These are based on feedback. Try to understand them at times are a puzzle.

K1h7BvY.jpg

Turn off Xbox settings

Now what I am reporting here maybe controversial, however if you don't use the Xbox programs on your PC, turn the Xbox programs off. Otherwise skip this change if you use the Xbox features. About 30% to 40% of FPS loss is attributed to the Xbox GameDVR software. The Xbox GameDVR is the worst offender in sucking up FPS resources. Below is what I did to turn off the Xbox Features

Spoiler

XlUesUe.jpg

Note: Do not delete or un-install the Microsoft Xbox Application!!!

Turn off the Game bar and the True play setting also.

aixohtF.jpg

IiJRASD.jpg

Change Power Options advance settings for the processor

Another section that was changed is the power management for the processor. Since I run a desktop system I changed the setting  as shown below.

Spoiler

pGpyugX.jpg

If you have a laptop, you want to research this setting more.

Turn off Remote access

This setting is used by anyone using remote access into your system such as tech support or if you need to get a file remotely hopefully by a VPN. I don't use this feature, so I turned this off. 

Spoiler

sUUnYXH.jpg

If you need it again for such a case in future, you can turn it back on. Go to the section in the control panel to change as shown below.

Modify the registry

Skip this section if you are unsure of this process. To open the Regedit program press the Windows Key and “r” key to open the RUN window. Then type regedit to open the program.

qHuBrr3.jpg

The screen will open like below

YZcVWQo.jpg

We need to change GameDVR setting in the registry. Go to this entry first.

Spoiler

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/System/GameConfigStore/GameDVREnabled/

Right click to modify into Value = 0
0 value equals off 

w3GLxbb.jpg

Go to this entry second

Spoiler

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/PolicyManager/Default/ApplicationManagement /AllowGameDVR/value

Right click to modify into Value = 0
0  value equals off 

i8u93Zh.jpg

Optimize software

Free to use optimization software. Of course you can get more software features from these developing companies if you pay for them. However, the free software works just as well.

Spoiler

FRAPS - For tracking FPS. Click here to look at their software

p2bcSaN.jpg

SpyBot Anti-Beacon - Turns off network port connections for Spyware. Click here to look at their software.

60j7nA1.jpg

Driver Booster - Driver database updater (video driver may need separate update) -Ad driven  for other software packages. Click here to look at their software

USbJj9m.jpg

CCleaner - Windows Registry and temp file cleaner Click here to look at their software

52nCpWf.jpg

Advanced System Care - System check up optimizer (Ad driven for other software packages) Click here to look at their software

TSxA4kr.jpg

As I said in adjusting these settings, gaming with WoWS is richer to me. The Audio is better, the Video crisp in details and the game does not frustrate me as it did before these changes. Try them and let me know if you have questions, disagree, or if the steps helped you in WoWS performance. Again all of these settings can be rollback to you original settings if you encounter problems.

UPDATE: One of the items I forgot to mentioned is always have your videos drivers updated too!

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

Members
161 posts
1,304 battles
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Tpaktop2_1 said:

MS Config

The system has to read the system settings when Windows is  booting up. Now Microsoft has given you just enough settings to get you going as a Windows user. To open the MS Config program press the Windows Key and “r” key to open the RUN window. Then type msconfig to open the program.

Reveal hidden contents

7XOZ8AQ.jpg

Verify these boxes are check for the drives as shown below

LbZGNIr.jpg

Click on the boot tab at the top and then advance options button

gxh2e4p.jpg

You will now see how many processors Windows 10 uses for its operating software as a default. I bet you will only see the default setting as “one”. Yes that means Windows has been running on just one core processor. 

To access all of your processors, click on the “Number of processors” box and scroll down to the bottom number. Then click the apply button. Now all of your processors will be used by Windows 10

MgnnMW2.jpg

Next item to look at is your services on startup. This part is optional. You can skip this step entirely if you are not sure of what programs to stop on start up. Click the box in the lower left for hide all Microsoft Services. 

Sfvyv5f.jpg

You will now see what services are started on boot up. Un-click programs that you don't want to boot up when your system starts up. Click apply and OK to close out the window.

This is an interesting guide. I'm going to try some of these steps but as for the MS Config step, this won't make a difference. Leaving the box unchecked (the default) means Windows will use all cores, checking them / selecting a value is for troubleshooting. It's a common misconception of how this setting works.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
128 posts
4,766 battles

A thing worthy of noting...Clean the dust out of your system once in a while! Use a compressor that has been drained and blow out all the fans (carefully), vents and the rest of the case encloser. Finally, if your graphics card (granted you have an installed and not onboard card) has a utility that allows you to adjust the fan speeds, play around with that. A cool GPU is a happy (and faster) GPU. Just by running my utility through EVGA, I can typically increase my FPS by 10-15%.

[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,060 posts
12,373 battles
5 hours ago, coletrain_commander said:

This is an interesting guide. I'm going to try some of these steps but as for the MS Config step, this won't make a difference. Leaving the box unchecked (the default) means Windows will use all cores, checking them / selecting a value is for troubleshooting. It's a common misconception of how this setting works.

Hey you are right. I checked with Tom's Hardware web site on what you said and despite what I have read, the MSConfig processor change does not increase FPS. Doing as I describe , serves only debug purposes. Despite what number is listed, Windows as a default, uses all processor cores. Here's how to verify what Windows is seeing

Open Windows Task Manager and the click on the performance tab.

4oNCN2L.jpg

Then click on the CPU icon. Then right click in the graph area. to chose logical processors.

8dAvqUX.jpg

The graph will change to this to show the usage of all processors

2C9OvKu.jpg

To aide further. you can then see how many processors Windows has listed installed too.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1