You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MaxL_1023

Slowly Figuring out the Fiji

14 comments in this topic

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,929 battles

I have been a class A BBaby since I started playing - I wanted to try and expand my skillset by playing cruisers and destroyers. I have had some success so far, culminating this this last game. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/238548216

Any tips for the Fiji? I might be missing some things, as I do not get games this good with the consistency I would like. 

[PVE]
Members
2,343 posts
19,714 battles

Must have upgrade...20% rudder shift. Must have 1st 12 points commander skills...Priority Target/Expert Marksman/Adrenalin Rush/Superintendant (extra smoke, hydro & heal)/Concealment Expert...

Was surprised the other Fiji didn't take a cit (or 3) the 1st time you shot him right before he disappeared in his smoke & the same w/the Pepsi at the start...Fiji is a cit monster. Good use of the smoke but more often than not (especially when you are top tier) you can use the smoke for others & stay out & harass...excellent maneuverability allows you to tank damage & dodge most attacks...& when you take a few hits & the AR kicks in...good luck keeping up w/the faster rhythm of non stop shells you can send down range. Definitely 1 of the most OP CA/CLs/tier in the game (Edinburg is actually a downgrade after the Fiji) so enjoy it while it lasts.

Most battles on most other maps won't allow you to sit in smoke so much (too many opponents around to spot you now that close range smoke firing detects you) so practice moving full speed & keeping your broadside protected because she drops fast if you make a major mistake but dodges well & overwhelms w/sheer # of shells/volley (7.5 reload becomes 6 when down to last 3100 HP w/AR...increases 96 RPM to 120 RPM...& then the fun begins). Don't be afraid to hunt down DDs...insanely easy to doge torps in her (even w/out the hydro warning) & of all the Brit CLs seems to have the best RNG for deflecting shells when angled.

Well done on Kraken BTW.

[KRAB]
Members
706 posts
6,929 battles

Yeah I really want those extra captain skills - I do have the rudder shift on as well. 

When it comes to citadels it seems to be more RNG than anything. 

Members
842 posts

OK, couple of things, and I'm gonna make the comments as I watch the replay:

1. Remember that the RN CLs absolutely suck at stopping, and their acceleration is nothing to write home about, either. You can't do the normal trick of turning to slow, either, as RN CLs have the "benefit" of not losing anywhere near as much speed in a turn as others CAs.  So plan where you want to stop WELL ahead of time.
  2. When you first popped smoke, you had to do so as a consequence of not stopping in time. That island provided a nice little outcropping to hide behind undetected, and you could have avoided the entire necessity of smoking up. Which, as you noticed, got you fired upon and hit, as people are VERY much aware of how slow the RN CLs are to change direction.
  3. When firing on stuff more than a few km away, DON'T aim for the waterline. That's a BB thing, and doesn't apply to CAs.  Your shells don't do well with the "travel underwater and citadel" idea.  Better option is to aim for the middle of the broadside, as that will insure a much higher percentage of citadels (on CAs) and superstructure hits (on BBs), which is where your bread-and-butter damage will come from.
  4. As a general hint, don't back straight up - you'll end up being predictable and eat broadside citadels from counterfire. Backup while turning, so it changes the angle of your ship by 15-20 degrees. You'll still be able to fire all 4 turrets, but you'll avoid a fair amount of counterfire .
  5. That's a wasted Hydro - you were in no position to be torpedoed, and the range on your hydro is too small to detect enemies much more than the DD in front of you could.  Pop your hydro in smoke if you DON'T have good cover from torpedoes, or if you suspect a DD is really close by (such as right on the other side of an island you're hugging). That's Defensive Hydro usage.
  6. Mid-range fire against CAs is unlikely to citadel as plunging fire for the 6" guns starts around 8km, which is why you most likely didn't get citadels on the Pensacola. Settle for lots of pens.
  7. When torping blindly, I tend to use the "individual" torp setting, as it lets me space out the torps more, and do it randomly.  You're looking mostly for a lucky hit, and the narrow spread isn't a good bet.
  8. You got spotted by that BB coming up the west side of the islands, right after your smoke ran out. I know you saw him, you looked in that direction. You just got greedy and wanted one more salvo.  DON'T do that. Being undetected is far more important than one more salvo that won't possibly make any difference.
  9. While not wanting to shoot until your smoke is back, that's overtly conservative.  A better idea is not to shoot until you are moving well - you can dodge quite well in a Fiji, so don't be too afraid to be detected and shoot.  In this case, you'd probably have been better off moving instead of re-smoking.  A better position would have been straight ahead against the other island 3km in front of you - you'd have had ample opportunity to shoot at the DD, and still lots of cover against the BBs, and might even have avoided needing to smoke at all.
  10. You got the right idea after your second smoke finished. Don't be afraid to move around like you did there, using cover.  My one bit of advice there is to use your torpedo indicator to see where various ships are headed. It would have been really easy to flip to torps to see where that Fiji & Indy were headed, rather than blindly trust they weren't gonna be too much of a problem.
  11. Same goes for later - you got the right idea on positioning and hydro-ing.  Taking down the Gastogne was a bit of a gamble, but don't be afraid to do that.
  12. In general, prefer the single shot torps over the narrow spread.   Send one down the predicted path, then adjust the other two based on whether or not you think the target will turn.  The narrow path indicator isn't really too good against anything other than potatoes.
  13. Good use of Hydro to protect against the Atago's torps, which you absolutely should expect in that situation.
  14. When dueling someone like an Atago, generally try to NOT give any broadside at all, which means you'll usually give up having to use all 4 turrets. That's OK - you have a very good ROF, and presenting a narrow profile and avoiding most citadels is usually much more important.  In this case, the Atago was dumb enough to give you lots of broadside for your shells to pen, so you seriously out-DPM'd him (I'd add that his aim looks like it sucked, too).
  15. Finally, one last suggestion:  get used to more individual fire with the turrets, rather than full salvo fire.  I'm not talking about the "Hold the mouse down" kind of serial fire, I'm talking about individually pressing the mouse button for each turret to fire.   This kind of thing gives you enough time to slightly adjust your aim, which will really help with shooting DDs and other maneuverable targets, but is even good when shooting at big stuff.  Use full salvo fire when you can be pretty confident that most will hit - otherwise, use individual turret fire. You'll score more consistent hits that way.

Overall, no significant mistakes, and a nice game.

• Cool 1

[WNSTN]
Members
2,707 posts
16,116 battles

If anyone can learn to play a new ship line and play it well, it's you, Max. 

I do pretty well with the Fiji, but as usual, you are already better than I am in it, so the only advice I'll give you is get the skill that increases your smoke area. That is an absolute must for UK CAs for me.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

since the smoke firing nerf,   smoke area got bigger, so it isn't a big deal anymore.    if you want to do well with  UKCL though,  division up with USDD(or padd)  who will smoke and spot for you.   you should also use  plane to spot if no one is around.   I div'd up with a mate  and he got 100k + dmg easily because he was in smoke all match firing.   I am sure your aiming is already good anyway,  you have to  watch for DDs sneaking up  as they will spot you at 5km or so.  (6.6 with neptune)    why having  DD spotting for you nearby is good thing as you can kill that dd that gets spotted.  

The real key though is learning to use island cover with smoke.    With radars and such, I will find best  island and smoke up  so that I can easily get behind cover.    i don't rely much on  armor against  BBs.   against CAs,  sure.       best to avoid being shot at . 

UKCL is great when div'd up but  not as good in solo.  

Members
70 posts
1,869 battles

Wow some great tips.  I just got the Fiji ,  had a great first game.     What upgrades you guys use ?   

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, odin909 said:

Wow some great tips.  I just got the Fiji ,  had a great first game.     What upgrades you guys use ?   

On my Fiji I use Magazine Mod 1, Damage Control System Mod 1, Main Battery Mod 2, and Steering Gears Mod 2.

Fiji is my most played ship and I do pretty darn good with her. I'll very likely use Fiji in the next tier 7 Ranked season though Belfast is also a likely contender.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,606 posts
26,952 battles

Main Armaments Mod 1. I have 260 battles in Fiji and can’t remember being detonated. Having turrets or torp tubes knocked out is a bigger risk by far.

Propulsion Mod 1 because a cruiser stopped is a dead cruiser. 

AA Guns Mod 2 gives Fiji respectable AA without hurting main guns performance noticeably.

Steering Gears Mod 2 because wiggling May save your life. 

Ideally smoke up, go dark and then start shooting. If you are detected when you start slowing down for smoke, a BB targeting you will wreck you. 

Plan your escape route before you smoke up.  Don’t wait for the smoke to end before you start running away. 

Use islands just like any good cruiser.  Fiji gun arcs are fairly flat but you can still invisible-fire over islands when you find a good spot.

Try to have at least two targets to shoot at in range when you smoke up plus a teammate to spot them.  It’s funny when a Brit cruiser smokes up and can’t shoot because they were the only one spotting the target.

Destroy DDs. You are very good at that. Shoot BB superstructure and watch them rage. Any cruiser showing you an open side pays dearly. 

Div up with another Fiji or, better yet, a Belfast and make the red ships cry. Two of you with perpetual smoke and almost endless hydro can hold a position like few other ships. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,359 posts
10,636 battles

If all you did was BBs then you need to log some time with CVs and other CA nations, then go back to RN BBs. This is along the lines of what I was told when learning the game and seems to have worked out well,

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,753 posts
4,542 battles

So, I played my Fiji last night for the first time in a while, and... I didn't want to make a new post just to ask this question, so I hope I've selected a thread that, if dead, at least hasn't been buried yet.

I was frantically searching for my smoke in game, and it just wasn't there.

Did the planes get added as consumable options for the smoke slot in the last patch or two?  I musta missed something...

[TDG]
Members
1,527 posts
7,011 battles
43 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

So, I played my Fiji last night for the first time in a while, and... I didn't want to make a new post just to ask this question, so I hope I've selected a thread that, if dead, at least hasn't been buried yet.

I was frantically searching for my smoke in game, and it just wasn't there.

Did the planes get added as consumable options for the smoke slot in the last patch or two?  I musta missed something...

Looking at the Wiki for Fiji, the last slot has been Smoke or Aircraft since at least December 2016.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller
Added link to Wiki article
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,753 posts
4,542 battles
33 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

Looking at the Wiki for Fiji, the last slot has been Smoke or Aircraft since at least December 2016.

Weird.  I never ran anything but premium smoke screen on that ship.  Ever.  But for some reason there was a catapult fighter slotted there last night.

Thank you!

[B_O_W]
Members
322 posts
6,078 battles

Just got the Fiji, used Free EXP to buy the hull, purchased rudder shift, AA upgrade, main gun maint, and first level repair.  The hull and rudder shift made a huge difference.  Currently first day with it, and learning the different tier level of players and the ship to go along with the higher tier.

Sweet ship.. Awesome!