You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
swampwater77

Ducca D'Aosta

29 comments in this topic

[RVNHQ]
Members
69 posts
25,242 battles

Has anyone picked up Ducca D'Aosta from the premium shop? If so what do you think of the ship. Not sure if I will get it or not but would like feedback to see if I would like to get it. Thanks.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,626 posts
7,637 battles

She is not an easy ship to play. If you like fast gameplay, with active ammo selection and the challenge to do well you‘ll like her.

If you want a ship that easily farms 60-70k damage every game, don‘t buy her.

[SYN]
Members
7,420 posts
12,594 battles

Yea, like Sierne said. It's a capable ship, but not an easy ship. Long range torps can surprise folks, but can't really be relied on by any means. 

[TBW]
Members
7,871 posts
14,371 battles

As pretty much all tier 6 premiums she does well in the tier 6 scenarios.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[CK5]
Members
1,059 posts
9,602 battles

The Duca is very quick and maneuverable, which makes it fun to play.  The guns are not much better than destroyer level so don't expect to do much damage.  

[TIGRB]
Beta Testers
2,600 posts
21,846 battles

One of my favorite cruiser to play and have fun with  

[RVNHQ]
Members
69 posts
25,242 battles

Thank you all. I appreciate all the feedback and I will pick up Ducca and see how she does. Again, thanks captains for all the feedback.

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
26 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

The Duca is very quick and maneuverable, which makes it fun to play.  The guns are not much better than destroyer level so don't expect to do much damage.  

the guns are great what are you talking about. I have gotted 20K+ salvos on cruisers a lot. as for battleships the HE works fine and if they show there broadside you can shoot AP if you aim above the belt. and the HE works great against DDs

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,489 posts
15,441 battles

She needs IFHA to make her work.

[CK5]
Members
1,059 posts
9,602 battles
51 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

the guns are great what are you talking about. I have gotted 20K+ salvos on cruisers a lot. as for battleships the HE works fine and if they show there broadside you can shoot AP if you aim above the belt. and the HE works great against DDs

20k+ salvos with the Duca d'Aosta?  Nice try but that would mean getting at least six AP citadels out of eight guns per salvo.  Good luck with that.  The d'Aosta can do a respectable amount of damage with skillful switching between HE and AP ammo.  I have had 40K damage matches with it but 20K per salvo is unlikely. 

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
4 hours ago, swampwater77 said:

Has anyone picked up Ducca D'Aosta from the premium shop? If so what do you think of the ship. Not sure if I will get it or not but would like feedback to see if I would like to get it. Thanks.

Its a good and fun ship overall, but not easy to play.

You wont farm much damage with d'Aosta, but you will have a great impact by killing DDs and cruisers. d'Aosta shines at skirmishing DDs and cruisers. Its a stealth and agile cruiser, really good at hit and run tactics. Get close, quietly and fast, get a few good hits into DDs and cruisers, drop a few "water mines" run away fast and quietly. 

• Cool 1

Members
995 posts
1,871 battles
3 hours ago, PrairiePlayer said:

20k+ salvos with the Duca d'Aosta?  Nice try but that would mean getting at least six AP citadels out of eight guns per salvo.  Good luck with that.  The d'Aosta can do a respectable amount of damage with skillful switching between HE and AP ammo.  I have had 40K damage matches with it but 20K per salvo is unlikely. 

they are usually against things like omahas and pepsi colas and RN CLs at medium range so not that unlikely.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,923 posts
19,356 battles

Duca is a very fast, very fun CL.  However, her gun range without spotter plane is very mediocre, she's super squishy, and she demands a high points captain.  She's fun if fighting Tier V-VI competition, but MM frequently throws her against VII-VIII threats.

The 14.01km gun range is difficult dealing with Tier VII-VIII BBs.  14km range?  LOL you are exactly in the preferred engagement ranges to some of those BBs there!  14km to an Amagi, Kii, Richelieu, North Carolina, Alabama?  Then there's Bismarck and Tirpitz secondaries that have 11.3km range, almost matching Duca's gun range.  With secondaries.  Then there's the Tier VII-VIII Cruisers that can and will punish Duca heavily.  Pensacola, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Adm.Hipper / Prinz Eugen, Myoko, Mogami, etc.  There's also Fiji, Belfast, Edinburgh that can sneak pretty close.  They'll all hurt Duca badly.  Especially the AP from those USN CAs and RN CL AP.

She's a fun ship but you will work HARD to earn what you get.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
212 posts
5,546 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

As pretty much all tier 6 premiums she does well in the tier 6 scenarios.

Seconded. She's also the only cruiser where you can mount both Def AA *and* Hydro, so there's that.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
711 posts
3,330 battles
On 3/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, Xlap said:

Its a good and fun ship overall, but not easy to play.

You wont farm much damage with d'Aosta, but you will have a great impact by killing DDs and cruisers. d'Aosta shines at skirmishing DDs and cruisers. Its a stealth and agile cruiser, really good at hit and run tactics. Get close, quietly and fast, get a few good hits into DDs and cruisers, drop a few "water mines" run away fast and quietly.

Pretty much this. Duca D'Aosta is always playing the long game. She's undergunned, so it takes a long time for her to stack up damage, and rarely will you dominate games in terms of sheer damage output. However, don't mistake damage for impact on the game; Duca is quite capable of making her presence felt, especially when there are lots of enemy destroyers and light cruisers around for you to beat on. She has the speed and maneuverability to be an anklebiter, and her consumables toolkit is the envy of every other cruiser up to about tier 8, when radar starts becoming prevalent.

--Helms

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

She's a fun cruiser to play, but it takes a high skill captain to get the most out of her, as she likes both IFHE and CE.  I recommend getting IFHE first (most cruisers I prefer CE first)

Her HE, is generally terrible.  AP is good, but since it's low caliber gets bounced a lot.  You've got to be good at switching, because your damage output is so low that you'll NEED those AP salvos when you get the chance.  Also, you cannot sail the ship in straight lines.  Her best defense is to not take hits, so you have to wiggle, a lot.  Speed flags are also your friend, you can get her over 38 knots with them. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles
On 3/13/2018 at 10:40 AM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yea, like Sierne said. It's a capable ship, but not an easy ship. Long range torps can surprise folks, but can't really be relied on by any means. 

I'd like to expand on this for prospective Duca buyers. "Long range" does not fully cover these torps. "Long range" on a tier 6 CL would be something like 9km, maybe 10km at the outside. Duca d'Aosta's torpedoes have a whopping 13km RANGE WITHOUT UPGRADES! Now maybe I'm overreacting a bit because I'm not really a DD driver and thus black magic like 20km Long Lance torpedoes is alien to me, but that is a LOT of range. More importantly, it's a lot of range that you DO NOT NEED! I have never seen torp sniping be effective outside of extreme situations with extreme luck. If you are dropping from 13km away, especially with these slow 55-knot fish, you WILL miss. So this is one ship that I wholeheartedly recommend the torpedo speed Captain skill for. 20% range decrease? Pfft, that's chump change for a Duca, you'll still have 9km+ of reach and you'll be fine.

And your torps aren't even that important of a weapon either. Yes, the Duca straddles the line between CL and fat DD a bit, but she's still a gunboat. Use those guns, use your ridiculous speed, and use your ridiculous ruddershift to full advantage. Dance through enemy torps like it's nothing and pound them with repeated salvos, then give them a nice torping point-blank to send them to Davy Jones' Locker and be on your way.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

With her standard range torps, d'Aosta can fully functional stealth torp.

[SALVO]
Members
21,342 posts
21,550 battles
23 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I'd like to expand on this for prospective Duca buyers. "Long range" does not fully cover these torps. "Long range" on a tier 6 CL would be something like 9km, maybe 10km at the outside. Duca d'Aosta's torpedoes have a whopping 13km RANGE WITHOUT UPGRADES! Now maybe I'm overreacting a bit because I'm not really a DD driver and thus black magic like 20km Long Lance torpedoes is alien to me, but that is a LOT of range. More importantly, it's a lot of range that you DO NOT NEED! I have never seen torp sniping be effective outside of extreme situations with extreme luck. If you are dropping from 13km away, especially with these slow 55-knot fish, you WILL miss. So this is one ship that I wholeheartedly recommend the torpedo speed Captain skill for. 20% range decrease? Pfft, that's chump change for a Duca, you'll still have 9km+ of reach and you'll be fine.

And your torps aren't even that important of a weapon either. Yes, the Duca straddles the line between CL and fat DD a bit, but she's still a gunboat. Use those guns, use your ridiculous speed, and use your ridiculous ruddershift to full advantage. Dance through enemy torps like it's nothing and pound them with repeated salvos, then give them a nice torping point-blank to send them to Davy Jones' Locker and be on your way.

Landsraad, it's "only" 12km range on the torps with a speed of 51kts.   But a key point on those torps you didn't mention is that they have only a 1km detection range.  Enemies won't spot these fishes until they're  right on top of them.

I just had a battle in my Duca where I had 2 kills on BBs (both Lyons) with my torps.  I think that in some ways, their slower speed can be advantageous.  I fired them at where I thought the enemy was going but they turned away ... but then during their combat maneuvers, they turned right back into my fish and ate them.  Of course, it was mostly luck, but there's something to be said for that 12 km range.  You can actually stealth torp with the Duca's torps without even having a CE captain.  It also means that you don't have to get so dangerously close to the enemy to use them, which against a BB is no small concern, IMO.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
On 18/03/2018 at 2:07 PM, crzyhawk said:

I recommend getting IFHE first (most cruisers I prefer CE first)

I dont recommend this. CE is more important than IFHE for Duca. Concealment is life for Duca, the last thing you want to do is spam HE on BBs. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

No, you don't want to spam HE on BBs, but sometimes you have no choice.  The difference in concealment is about 1km, and the d'Aosta can dance like no other  cruiser in the game.  You're welcome to your opinion, even though I think you're wrong.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles
5 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

No, you don't want to spam HE on BBs, but sometimes you have no choice.  

Yes sometimes you dont have choice, but most of the times you have. Not saying that you shouldnt get IFHE, Just that CE is more important. 

Also, t5-7 BBs have a lot of 25mm of amor or less so you dont need IFHE to damage them. One more reason to get CE before IFHE.  

5 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

The difference in concealment is about 1km, and the d'Aosta can dance like no other  cruiser in the game.  

The difference is 1,8 km, which is huge when you are trying to "hunt" and kill enemy DDs and cruisers.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

meh, I disagree and that's not going to change.  We might as well leave it at that.

[POTW]
Members
9 posts
10,036 battles

I like the Duca so much, I played it in tier 6 ranked.  It has advantages in flexibility other ships don’t.  38.3 knots with a speed flag means that most DD’s have a hard time getting away, and standard mission is to shadow one of our DD’s trying to take a cap, and engage the enemy DD contesting it.  The velocity on the HE rounds makes hitting a DD under 10km rather easy.

The other thing about the slow, 12km torps is that you can launch them at BB’s 16km out.  If they are moving toward you the torps still have a chance of hitting.  By the time the BB moves 4km, the torps are just getting there, and with their low detectability and the wth factor, it’s not uncommon to get a hit.

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts

Yeah I like my Italian Stallion. Generally I like to dash up a flank and nail any potatoes that might be sailing around with my torps well before they expect anybody to be around. Also a lot of fun to dump torps into a cap that is being captured by red especially if the have destroyed a contesting DD.

Or I like to show lots of broadside to a cruiser, act like a potatoes. Let him get all excited at the chance to delete me, thus ignoring the little fish present I have sent him.

As I have learned more about this game, I am finding I enjoy unconventional tactics, more and more. And this little beast is about as unconventional as you can get.

• Cool 1