Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

Just played a Ryuujo in PvE

3 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

Holllllyyyy crap is that a sad combination of complicated and totally, completely, mind-numbingly, soul-scarringly BORING. 

No, I sucked at it - I undeniably sucked at it. I know how to strafe and manually drop bombs, how to select multiple squadrons, etc., but to say I was even remotely skilled at any of that would be catastrophically incorrect (1 of the 2 kills I got during the games came from somehow ramming a Farragut while I was on auto-pilot). This is why I stuck exclusively with PvE - so nobody would be witness to my shame.

However, I do have some observations which, while certainly not new, are worth sharing.

1) The interface is garbage soaked in cat urine. The in-game map - even when zoomed in - simply isn't a good way to manage squadrons. In many ways, your "field of vision" is more restricted than that enjoyed by the regular ship types, which seems more than a little perplexing considering that you're piloting aircraft. At all times, I felt this odd sensation of disengagement from what was going on in the game - less a part of a cohesive fleet, than an individual mindlessly cycling through a series of tasks.

2) The ridiculous "pirouette" that bombers have to do (if you're too close to a target) in order to line up a strike offends my sensibilities. This is far, far too nuanced. I am not saying that the carrier game should be exclusively point-and-click, but having to account for these delayed actions is immediately off-putting, and at least in part explains why so many would-be carrier players drop the idea instantly. The rest of the game revolves around player actions with direct impacts: aim, fire, shells go largely where you aim. Yes, you have to account for ship movement during the flight time, but the pirouette adds an extra level on top of that (and yes, I know that can be avoided by dropping further out, but we're talking about the gut impressions of someone learning as opposed to seasoned). 

3) The ship autopilot is dumb. Why is this thing ramming me into islands? Why am I having to drive in addition to herding the cats that are my squadrons?

Overall, about the only fun I had was strafing, which seemed relatively comfortable once I got the hang of it (against bots, of course, so no real accomplishment there), and resulted in the kind of instantaneous payoff I was looking for. But, honestly, I feel like this: games like Dune II (anyone remember that?) and Command and Conquer have been on the scene now for like 25 years. We have the technology; we have HAD the technology, to make top-down gameplay not only fun, but totally engrossing to a point where it begins to ruin lives. So why is it that in WoWs, where I am essentially directing units in the same manner as I did three decades ago, does it feel so alien, awkward, and unrewarding?

The carrier game doesn't just need to be fixed - it needs to be scrapped. It needs to be reevaluated on a fundamental level. I would like to, one day, try carriers for real; I would certainly like to play some of the hybrid ships like Tone, Ise, etc. But not like this. Not ever again like this. Small sample size? Sure. But I can crack a book and know within 2 pages or not if the author can write. Sometimes, first impressions are the only valuable ones.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles

Because you can't play CVs in Co-op like you do randoms. It's completely differnt and based on what experience says the bots are likely to do because of programming, not based on the lunatic insanity of randomness that 12 real players might produce.

More often than not; you park and become an airfield, instead of running all over, because that's often safer than risking getting seen by bots. Normally bots don't snipe, but are occasionally know to do so.

My Randoms CV driving is in no way anything to brag about; but in Co-op I have 1,804 wins out of 1,879 games played.

A well driven CV can literally carry a Co-op team like good players say can be done in Randoms.

In any case, my advantage may be that I never player RTS games before, so I don't have any real problems with the interface.

Just did 125k damage in a Shokaku in Co-op, and I personally think I suck wind with IJN carriers.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
43 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Holllllyyyy crap is that a sad combination of complicated and totally, completely, mind-numbingly, soul-scarringly BORING. 

Yea for the most part, even worse it's all staring at a big green grid instead of the beautiful ship models, ocean, etc.

No, I sucked at it - I undeniably sucked at it. I know how to strafe and manually drop bombs, how to select multiple squadrons, etc., but to say I was even remotely skilled at any of that would be catastrophically incorrect (1 of the 2 kills I got during the games came from somehow ramming a Farragut while I was on auto-pilot). This is why I stuck exclusively with PvE - so nobody would be witness to my shame.

Meh. While you'll be hated, playing against other real people is how you get better at PvP in anything.

However, I do have some observations which, while certainly not new, are worth sharing.

1) The interface is garbage soaked in cat urine. The in-game map - even when zoomed in - simply isn't a good way to manage squadrons. In many ways, your "field of vision" is more restricted than that enjoyed by the regular ship types, which seems more than a little perplexing considering that you're piloting aircraft. At all times, I felt this odd sensation of disengagement from what was going on in the game - less a part of a cohesive fleet, than an individual mindlessly cycling through a series of tasks.

Yes. If you watch a unicum player's videos like Farazelleth you'll see he's rebound several of his keys and spends a lot of time in the Map mode.

2) The ridiculous "pirouette" that bombers have to do (if you're too close to a target) in order to line up a strike offends my sensibilities. This is far, far too nuanced. I am not saying that the carrier game should be exclusively point-and-click, but having to account for these delayed actions is immediately off-putting, and at least in part explains why so many would-be carrier players drop the idea instantly. The rest of the game revolves around player actions with direct impacts: aim, fire, shells go largely where you aim. Yes, you have to account for ship movement during the flight time, but the pirouette adds an extra level on top of that (and yes, I know that can be avoided by dropping further out, but we're talking about the gut impressions of someone learning as opposed to seasoned). 

Which also keeps you in their AA bubbles longer.

3) The ship autopilot is dumb. Why is this thing ramming me into islands? Why am I having to drive in addition to herding the cats that are my squadrons?

You can shift click paths on the map. You can do the same thing with returning planes like shift click way points and then press F at the end so your planes don't go directly over enemy AA or give away your location.

Overall, about the only fun I had was strafing, which seemed relatively comfortable once I got the hang of it (against bots, of course, so no real accomplishment there), and resulted in the kind of instantaneous payoff I was looking for. But, honestly, I feel like this: games like Dune II (anyone remember that?) and Command and Conquer have been on the scene now for like 25 years. We have the technology; we have HAD the technology, to make top-down gameplay not only fun, but totally engrossing to a point where it begins to ruin lives. So why is it that in WoWs, where I am essentially directing units in the same manner as I did three decades ago, does it feel so alien, awkward, and unrewarding?

Because auto-dropping is so terrible. If they removed manual drops and strafes it would be a straight up numbers game like C&C or Dune but would be even more boring. If you could do that while actually staying in the regular view though it might be worth it ... I don't know but I the only CV I play at all anymore is either at T5 (where everyone is auto-dropping/engaging fighters which makes it more about tactics and less about who is twitchier) or the Saipan when I need plane kills for quests (because the get out of jail free card on the exit strafe and uptiered fighters mean you stomp most games).

The carrier game doesn't just need to be fixed - it needs to be scrapped. It needs to be reevaluated on a fundamental level. I would like to, one day, try carriers for real; I would certainly like to play some of the hybrid ships like Tone, Ise, etc. But not like this. Not ever again like this. Small sample size? Sure. But I can crack a book and know within 2 pages or not if the author can write. Sometimes, first impressions are the only valuable ones.

I hate the carrier game play too and it's the reason I installed WoWs only to be severely disappointed over a year ago.

Sign in to follow this