You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
allendeckard

shot before being detected

114 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
2,912 battles

I'm not talking about the occasional hit someone gets by randomly shooting in a popular hiding spot and getting lucky.    I'm talking about a concentrated fire that follows a moving ship (me) and it's before being detected at all at long range.

I've played long enough I have most of the tier 10 ships and this has  just started in the last week and it's really getting irritating.   Absolutely nothing I can do on my end it is what it is.   But anyone have any clue what the heck is going on?    Cause it's nearly got me packing in the game it's happened enough and seems to be picking up speed.    If i wasn't paying attention closely I might have just thought I was detected and went on my way but I have paid attention and I can say I have no idea how people are doing it so anyway some advice would be nice.

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,686 battles

If you're in a DD or RN cruiser and sitting in smoke,  they're probably blindfiring the smoke,  especially if you're sitting still or moving slow and giving them an aiming point by firing out of it.  It's a common tactic.

[TOG]
Members
2,485 posts
15,040 battles

If someone had a spotter, it's even easier to plot a point of reference (where the shells are going out) and blind fire into it. If you're ripple firing, even better. It gives them a continuous point of reference. You might want to shift to salvo firing.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles

I have been experiencing similar things lately, never detected or not for over 30 seconds  or 20 seconds after the detection indicator has dropped and you take accurate fire from multiple directions. There was a bug with Situational Awareness when it was a skill you had to take where is was slow about triggering and I am wondering if it is back.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,114 posts
17,794 battles

A replay might help figure out what was happening.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,049 posts

Replays might be helpful to see if this is a bug or perhaps a mechanic.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,653 battles
35 minutes ago, allendeckard said:

I'm not talking about the occasional hit someone gets by randomly shooting in a popular hiding spot and getting lucky.    I'm talking about a concentrated fire that follows a moving ship (me) and it's before being detected at all at long range.

I've played long enough I have most of the tier 10 ships and this has  just started in the last week and it's really getting irritating.   Absolutely nothing I can do on my end it is what it is.   But anyone have any clue what the heck is going on?    Cause it's nearly got me packing in the game it's happened enough and seems to be picking up speed.    If i wasn't paying attention closely I might have just thought I was detected and went on my way but I have paid attention and I can say I have no idea how people are doing it so anyway some advice would be nice.

its the mini map mod from aslains that allows people to fire  at same spot while moving and makes it very easy to track an area with shell fire with no points of reference if its at beginning of match its easy because we have mirror starting points so they know where you are at start by comparing where  they are

Edited by GuntherPrein

[TBW]
Members
6,414 posts
12,059 battles
36 minutes ago, allendeckard said:

I have no idea how people are doing it so anyway some advice would be nice.

Turn on Replays so you can show everyone what is occurring is the best advice I can give you.

[LOU1]
Members
3,064 posts
8,155 battles

There is also a delay between when a ship detects you and when you are notified ( 1 or 2 seconds).  I have read in the past of players untargeting a ship immediately after detecting it and then firing by estimating the lead without the target having a clue there is incoming fire.    I am not finding any posts on that right now.  It might be related to ping - I was playing on an erratic internet connection at another location yesterday and had a lot of problems with this.  Increased ping was mainly due to the area having power and connection issues to due to widespread storm damage (East coast).  But, I did find:

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
3,814 posts
14,142 battles

I had something weird (fishy?) happen to me yesterday while driving Blyskawica. I was capping late in the battle in a cyclone, visibility 8 km, hadn't fired at anything for quite a while. And from out of the blue I got deleted by a salvo from a Charles Martell. (I was at 20% ship health) I got no "detected" warning, nor did I get a priority target warning. No plane was up either. I was not being detected by anything and I would have gotten a visual on him long before he could've seen me since Charles has a much longer detection range than Blys has.

Edited by ReddNekk
  • Cool 2

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
336 posts
7,504 battles

Having similar issues: randomly spotted but no ships at all close to me. Get spotted, go off detection 10 seconds later get shot from a close target.  

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,528 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I have been experiencing similar things lately, never detected or not for over 30 seconds  or 20 seconds after the detection indicator has dropped and you take accurate fire from multiple directions. There was a bug with Situational Awareness when it was a skill you had to take where is was slow about triggering and I am wondering if it is back.

I've been running into this too. I go silent, go undetected in a DD, completely change course and then out of nowhere, bang, either a dev strike, or deleted after 10-15 seconds.

They are either doing a very lucky damn guess, or something else is going on.

• Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,843 battles

I saw it happen in clan battles where our Moskva was never detected but somehow the Battleship was able to triple citadel him from over 20k away. I think some people have mods that show everyone on the map.

[YORHA]
Members
3,352 posts

Having the same issue for the last couple of weeks.  

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,498 battles

If sonar or radar is used, I assume that we will know if we are detected.  But there are times when I use Radar on my New Orleans or Baltimore, detect a DD, and KaBlamo!  No chance for them to survive - one, two, or maybe three hits, and they are gone.  I do not think they had any idea I could see them - shooting over a land mass or if they are in smoke.  I nailed them.

So maybe the Awareness skill may not recognize the fact that you have been detected with radar.

The reverse has happened to me as well.  Sailing in my CL or CA, and surprise!  Those I did not detect somehow detected me and I became the single fish in a fish bowl!  Run, twist and wiggle!!!!

• Cool 1

Members
9,985 posts

Seriously? I really haven't played much lately, but this isn't a good sign. It's one thing to have some random player complain about this issue, but if everyone is seeing it...perhaps WG should address it?:cap_hmm:

[-BRS-]
Members
1,642 posts
13,656 battles

Yeah I was full speed Destroyer zigzagging all over the place hadn't been detected for a good 30 or 40 seconds when I get a full shot from battleship I know they don't have that kind of travel time

I took it as a extremely lucky shot but now I don't know

• Cool 2

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,091 battles
4 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

This didn’t start with the latest patch. It’s been 4-6 weeks. 

I've gone undetected per the awareness icon AND when I should have due to 20 seconds after firing or putting an island between me and spotter, changed speed and/or direction and still get hit with surprisingly accurate fire. I know how to use a spotter plane.  I know how to shoot at a ship firing from smoke. I know about that Aslains mod. It’s none of those things. When the same ship does this multiple times in a match you have to begin wondering. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
1,642 posts
13,656 battles
2 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

This didn’t start with the latest patch. It’s been 4-6 weeks. 

I've gone undetected per the awareness icon AND when I should have due to 20 after firing or putting an island between me and spotter, changed speed and/or direction and still get hit with surprisingly accurate fire. I know how to use a spotter plane.  I know how to shoot at a ship firing from smoke. I know about that Aslains mod. It’s none of those things. When the same ship does this multiple times in a match you have to begin wondering. 

Yeah I could write it off to getting a nick or something smaller maybe getting he Splash damage  or taking one hit and call it luck 

but when I get hit by 4 out of eight shells totally undetected for a long while I'm talking 30-40 seconds and after moving at high speed and different directions it does make you wonder:cap_wander_2: I mean I'm in a totally different square of the map after that long

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
380 posts
6,212 battles
2 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

I had something weird (fishy?) happen to me yesterday while driving Blyskawica. I was capping late in the battle in a cyclone, visibility 8 km, hadn't fired at anything for quite a while. And from out of the blue I got deleted by a salvo from a Charles Martell. (I was at 20% ship health) I got no "detected" warning, nor did I get a priority target warning. No plane was up either. I was not being detected by anything and I would have gotten a visual on him long before he could've seen me since Charles has a much longer detection range than Blys has.

This just sounds like a pure luck blind shot trying to stop you capping.

However, I've seen the odd time where I've not been seen for quite some time, turned and still got hit.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,574 battles
4 hours ago, GuntherPrein said:

its the mini map mod from aslains that allows people to fire  at same spot while moving and makes it very easy to track an area with shell fire with no points of reference if its at beginning of match its easy because we have mirror starting points so they know where you are at start by comparing where  they are

There was a post a few weeks ago about this very subject,I’ve also experienced getting hit while not detected and as I zigged and zagged the shells followed my every movement not that accurately that I took a lot of hits kinda like shooting with a spotter plane,but I was thinking how the hell are they doing that I’m not detected, but my game Detection is not working as advertised,

unfortunately I’ve never been able to get my replays working , have played a lot of games but in the last couple of months I’ve seen a few odd things around Detection ,, I even read the updates to see if some game mechanic had been modified... found nothing 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
621 posts
5 hours ago, allendeckard said:

I have heard that there's a new mod that I guess WG is aware of but ok with at the moment, it shows last known location of ships even in smoke and a line/dot where your guns are aimed on the mini map so you can match the two up and possibly score hits that way.

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Members
1,642 posts
13,656 battles
2 minutes ago, GeneralVeers said:

I have heard that there's a new mod that I guess WG is aware of but ok with at the moment, it shows last known location of ships even in smoke and a line/dot where your guns are aimed on the mini map so you can match the two up and possibly score hits that way.

Yeah but that just shows your last known position right when you disappeared not after moving for a while

[SALVO]
Members
17,114 posts
17,794 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I've been running into this too. I go silent, go undetected in a DD, completely change course and then out of nowhere, bang, either a dev strike, or deleted after 10-15 seconds.

They are either doing a very lucky damn guess, or something else is going on.

Slayer, I can see this as possible.  Of course, it depends on what type of ship you're in to some degree.  Regardless, a BB might have you targeted and fire at long range at the very instant you go dark.  Heck, he may have predicted your course change or it could be a case of some highly low probability RNG "missing" a few shells onto you.  It "can" happen.  Not very likely, but not impossible.