19 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles

Samuel L Gravely was the 1st African American (Black) captain with a sea going command in the US navy, in 1961. He commanded a ship many who play tier 10 in World of Warships, will know well, the Gearing, USS Theodore E. Chandler (DD-717).

Samuel_Gravely.jpg

Gravely began his seagoing career in 1942 as the only black officer onboard the submarine chaser  PC 1624.

Following his first command, of the Gearing, this gentleman commanded several other warships during the Vietnam War, including USS Falgout (DE-324) (an Edsall class dd), and USS Taussig (an Allen Sumner class dd). 

In 1971 he was the first African American to reach the rank of rear Admiral.

I will not copy paste the vast amounts of information about this person from Wikipedia, but instead, offer links for fellow forumites to explore, whether to learn of, rediscover or refresh memories. Obviously, those among you who have followed my recent posts, are aware I have been causing trouble on related issues. I apologise most insincerely. But I hope this topic will remain on the rails, good natured and helpful to all those who visit the forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Gravely_Jr.#World_War_II_and_Korean_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Theodore_E._Chandler_(DD-717)

and the Arleigh Burke destroyer that was commissioned in 2002, named in honour of Admiral Gravely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gravely

Spoiler

Not being from the USA, I can be clumsy with terminology, so I have stuck to Wikipedia usage - I beg patience and some leeway!

I make no suggestion with this topic, stating a summary of the facts, ...but I encourage readers to draw their own conclusions.

For my other post of today, regarding the 1st ever female captain in the USN with a seagoing command :

Spoiler

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles

In what year(s) did Gravely hold his position on the subchaser? "During World War 2" would make an excellent case if what you want is a US Navy officer who is not both white and male.

However, given that the ship "Steven Seagal" was linked to has been retired from sale and replaced with a Japanese battleship, perhaps a Japanese officer would be more appropriate. Perhaps even Heihachiro Togo if he's not somewhere in the game already.

Also, perhaps you should make your apologies more sincere in the future. Otherwise you could well find yourself on a course for Permaban City.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In what year(s) did Gravely hold his position on the subchaser? "During World War 2" would make an excellent case if what you want is a US Navy officer who is not both white and male.

However, given that the ship "Steven Seagal" was linked to has been retired from sale and replaced with a Japanese battleship, perhaps a Japanese officer would be more appropriate. Perhaps even Heihachiro Togo if he's not somewhere in the game already.

Also, perhaps you should make your apologies more sincere in the future. Otherwise you could well find yourself on a course for Permaban City.

please keep this on topic. The OP makes no mention of in game captains.

Although if I were perma banned for my recent forum posts, I'd take that as an honour. The shame is on those who would shut down affirmative discussion of this topic. Given the forum content that has recently been published (and subsequently deleted - but not before I have screenshotted - without anyone getting so much as a slap on the wrist,) I hardly imagine I have anything to fear.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,660 battles
13 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Although if I were perma banned for my recent forum posts, I'd take that as an honour. The shame is on those who would shut down affirmative discussion of this topic. Given the forum content that has recently been published (and subsequently deleted - but not before I have screenshotted - without anyone getting so much as a slap on the wrist,) I hardly imagine I have anything to fear.

The reply was on topic. And you're pretty toxic in your efforts to control conversations sometimes... this is fairly benign by your standards, but you're often kind of a whiny [edited]. So meh.

• Cool 3

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
10 minutes ago, poeticmotion said:

And you're pretty toxic in your efforts to control conversations sometimes

I do my best. Thankyou for your constructive and helpful contribution to this topic.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,056 posts
17,716 battles

Nutty, thanks for the good post.  And particularly, thanks for embedding links to the proper Wikipedia pages rather than doing massive copy and pastes.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles

I appear to be a magnet for downvotes. salt for the popcorn.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,256 battles

That may be because you are going well out of your way to be actively confrontational.

If you want to go after a racial issue in the game, perhaps you could bend some energy to addressing the fact that all the pan-Asian captains, regardless of ship into which they are spawned, seem to be ethnically Chinese. In many of the ships that is justified, regardless of what your views may be regarding the whole "Republic of China/Taiwan" dichotomy, but certainly not for the Phra Ruang or the Gadjah Mada. Do the Siamese/Burmans or the Indonesians not deserve their due?

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That may be because you are going well out of your way to be actively confrontational.

If you want to go after a racial issue in the game, perhaps you could bend some energy to addressing the fact that all the pan-Asian captains, regardless of ship into which they are spawned, seem to be ethnically Chinese. In many of the ships that is justified, regardless of what your views may be regarding the whole "Republic of China/Taiwan" dichotomy, but certainly not for the Phra Ruang or the Gadjah Mada. Do the Siamese/Burmans or the Indonesians not deserve their due?

I have gone out of my way, with this topic, to avoid confrontation? What exactly do you find confrontational about a topic that presents the facts of the first African American to command a US navy warship  (one which we have in game at tier 10)? Surely this is a good thing? A subject and topic to be welcomed?

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

Whoopee.  If you think you are doing the African-Americans communities any favors...you are not.  Unless it is Martin Luther King, Malcom X, or some foul mouthed rapper, most blacks will just consider this good man as a "Byrant Gumble" and lable him "white" by their standards.  

• Bad 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,246 posts
1,836 battles
1 hour ago, db4100 said:

Whoopee.  If you think you are doing the African-Americans communities any favors...you are not.  Unless it is Martin Luther King, Malcom X, or some foul mouthed rapper, most blacks will just consider this good man as a "Byrant Gumble" and lable him "white" by their standards.  

Read your post and see if you can figure out how it makes you look.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 1

[TAZ]
Members
399 posts
2 hours ago, db4100 said:

Your statement is not accurate in the least bit; as a retired Black, sea service officer,  Adm. Gravely nor any  of the Black Admirals that I have served with would be considered as "white", just because they had to understand the culture of the military.  Let's just say that the military is not entirely free of all social ills that affect our society.  We should judge people based on the content of their character, and their accomplishments not their skin complexion, religion, sex etc.  Further most black people do not feel that there is 1 "leader" to speak on behalf all blacks in the country nor do we all  listen to "foul mouth rappers", but to individuals  speaking of their environment.  

• Cool 3

[PSP]
Members
6,261 posts
8,898 battles
7 hours ago, nuttybiscuit said:

If you wish to post information about naval people you admire then that's fine and dandy. However, don't imply that it has much directly to do with WOWS.

PC-1264 and Mason were intended to test the ability of blacks to perform general Navy service. Just as The 332 Fighter Group was formed to test them as fighter pilots. Because it was found that they performed as well as anyone else, the services were desegregated in 1948.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

If you wish to post information about naval people you admire then that's fine and dandy. However, don't imply that it has much directly to do with WOWS.

PC-1264 and Mason were intended to test the ability of blacks to perform general Navy service. Just as The 332 Fighter Group was formed to test them as fighter pilots. Because it was found that they performed as well as anyone else, the services were desegregated in 1948.

I am glad to see you found the links I provided to wikipedia useful, and that you know how to copy paste. As for the relevance to WOWS, (if required) Samuel L Gravely captained destroyer classes which may be experienced by players in the game, namely the Gearing and Allen Sumners.

I make no implications, I have simply provided elementary facts, and links to further sources of information for those interested. Which you have clearly found useful. As I say in the OP, draw your own conclusions.

• Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
6,261 posts
8,898 battles

The issue of race in the services when I was in during the 70s was literally a non-issue. I think I have said it before but it is worth repeating that my division surgeon was black.

The man on the right was my best friend in the army. He is now a retired colonel who is the director of military education for a major metropolitan school system.

1544_screen_shot_20171023_at_102511_pmf.

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,801 posts
7,039 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The issue of race in the services when I was in during the 70s was literally a non-issue. I think I have said it before but it is worth repeating that my division surgeon was black.

The man on the right was my best friend in the army. He is now a retired colonel who is the director of military education for a major metropolitan school system.

(snip for brevity)

I would hope that if it was a non issue in the 1970s, that it remains so, and that furthermore, it were a non issue on these forums/

• Bad 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,660 battles
6 hours ago, db4100 said:

I'm so glad you're here to tell us how your personal stereotype-blinded view of black people think. If we didn't have white guys to tell us how we perceive things, how would we ever know anything? 

TL;DR: You're full of [edited] and maybe you should stick to writing bad Yelp reviews and eating bland food, and other white people stuff. (Yes, I know that sentence was feeding into white people stereotypes...see how that works?)

Edited by poeticmotion

Members
1,923 posts
2,492 battles

So many racists rating the OP's post as 'bad'

I expect no less from the people on these forums...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1