You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Which torpedoes on Lo Yang?

Which torpedo module?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote.

• 9.2km
    • 6.7km

22 comments in this topic

Members
1,147 posts
3,141 battles

I'm going to start using my Lo Yang again, which had been sitting for a long time. I haven't played it since it buff. My commander is full concealment (5.8km) so i'm thinking that the short range torpedoes might be a viable option. I'm just hoping to get feedbacks from other people.  Thanks :)

[NDA]
Supertester
4,835 posts
13,768 battles

Considering the type of ships you'll meet at T8, I take the longer range torps. 

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Longer and don't forget all the radar out there.

Honestly, shorter range torps are kinda out the window since radar came out.

Keep that tookis as far away as possible.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 2

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Depends on what style of game you typically play for me. I run the 6.7km ones because I love a good knifefight, and often work within hydro range. At those distances the shorties really move.

• Cool 2

[ICBM]
Members
371 posts
8,137 battles

6.7k...

Edited by swifttex1

[ICBM]
Members
371 posts
8,137 battles
6 minutes ago, Canadatron said:

Depends on what style of game you typically play for me. I run the 6.7km ones because I love a good knifefight, and often work within hydro range. At those distances the shorties really move.

agreed...

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,643 battles

Really depends on your playstyle.

If you like to knife fight,  use your hydro to control caps and hunt DDs, the 6.7km ones are the way to go.  Or if you tend to be very aggressive and know how to mitigate the radar threat.

if yoy play more cautious and want to longtorp, the 9.2km ones are better,  but imo you're in the wrong boat if you're trying to keep your distance, there's better longtorp boats out there.  I'd go with the 6.7km if you're playing her like imo she should be played.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,395 posts
12,003 battles

I use the long ones to herd the other team and use the guns for damage and harassment.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,170 posts
11,691 battles

I use the long range torps on mine.

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,197 battles

9.2, they still work well enough in a knife fight and provide more flexibility especially in the latter half of the game when you can switch to torp mode if low on life or if there are just BB left / few other targets.

The issue with 6.7 is survivability is really impacted, it’s risky even torping BBs later in game with 6.7 if your life is low

Edited by Visidious

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
7 minutes ago, Visidious said:

9.2, they still work well enough in a knife fight and provide more flexibility especially in the latter half of the game when you can switch to torp mode if low on life or if there are just BB left / few other targets.

The issue with 6.7 is survivability is really impacted, it’s risky even torping BBs later in game with 6.7 if your life is low

All depends what you're used to. I use short torps on many of my ships. The 5.5km ones on Sims for example.  I haven't had issues with survival for Lo Yang that I wouldn't be with other Destroyers, I've even got a few games where the enemy hasn't hit me at all while I've sailed my Lo Yang, while I've done quite well (including torp hits).  The damage and speed is better on the shorter torps, you still have a slight stealth window with CE, and combined with smoke and hydro the 6.7s do not disappoint. I just hate how slow the 9.2s are. Didn't like them on Benny, don't like them here. It's a playstyle choice more than anything.

Members
540 posts
2,935 battles

I ran the short ranged for a few games and decided they weren't worth it. You'll miss a lot of targets of opportunity just to gain a little more surprise from the boosted speed. The damage advantage is moot if you don't land hits. The only situation where the shorter range ones are better is dd vs dd and cap denial, against cruisers and bb though, you want the range.

Edited by ksix

[EGI]
Beta Testers
1,170 posts
18,045 battles

I tend to use the 6.7s because 13knots and 5000k alpha damage cannot be overstated as advantages while at knife fighting range.  Being a hydro equipped dd close range seems frequent. 

[-VT-]
Members
337 posts
6,635 battles

I have been using the 6.7s lately, always fun to use islands to ambush BBs who think its safe to push up behind island cover.

Members
706 posts

6.7km ones, because their extra speed and damage, though granted you have a smaller window between release and being spotted.

[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,933 battles

I really want to use the 6.7km ones, then I load into my typical T10 game with with 5+ radar.  Then I'm glad I didn't take them.

• Cool 1

Members
3,756 posts
13,966 battles

I find that the fast 6.7 ranged torps plus the hydro are just the ticket for cap contesting. As for attacking BBs/CAs, you just have to carefully plan your attack. Plus the shorter torpedo run at high speed makes hits more likely.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,280 posts
8,924 battles

This thread belongs in the "discussions about ships" sub forum

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,041 posts
6,710 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

This thread belongs in the "discussions about ships" sub forum

trolling, ignore him

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
5 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

Longer and don't forget all the radar out there.

Honestly, shorter range torps are kinda out the window since radar came out.

Keep that tookis as far away as possible.

This. They also have a better reload and detection range.

Edited by w4spl3g
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,722 posts
8,237 battles

9.2km. I don't own Lo Yang but after trying Yuugumo 8km torps, having 6.7km torps is suicidal, especially when you face T10 with a lot of radar ship.