Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

On offering your smokescreen to others...

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,060
[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,302 battles

The current (as opposed to previous) smoke mechanics have me confused.

If I have it right, the bloom of a battleship firing behind smoke is such that laying a screen to cover it is now pointless if that battleship is actively firing.

As a British cruiser main, I am used to using my smoke to conceal my OWN position while I sit out in a relatively exposed place with good fields of fire and rain down death upon the enemy before I scoot to cover upon the near expiry of my screen. For most of the time I had access to smoke and was useful with my guns (i.e. the Leander onwards, roughly about the time the Vampire challenge was on), it was under the new rules.

I subsequently carried this over to my US and Pan-Asian destroyer practice.

It seems that the selfless smoke play I have seen on older YouTube vids is now a thing of the past. Or is there something I am missing? I feel I cannot rely on chat requests for smoke, since half the time I see the request, it's before anyone has had a chance to move more than an inch from the spawn point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,071
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

it depends.  I'll smoke up a friendly cruiser still or try to cover someone's retreat, but battleships won't get smoke very often at all anymore.  I've also had friendly DD's drop smoke for my cruisers, mainly my Belfast.  Maybe it's because they assume that a Belfast driver knows what to do with a smoke screen.  A lot of people I smoke for, just keep on trucking right through it.  Heck a week or so ago, I remember a T9 game I was in, and used my Belfast to smoke up a Baltimore who was in a commanding position.  That's pretty rare when I will blow Belfast smoke like that, but it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
40 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

it depends.  I'll smoke up a friendly cruiser still or try to cover someone's retreat, but battleships won't get smoke very often at all anymore.  I've also had friendly DD's drop smoke for my cruisers, mainly my Belfast.  Maybe it's because they assume that a Belfast driver knows what to do with a smoke screen.  A lot of people I smoke for, just keep on trucking right through it.  Heck a week or so ago, I remember a T9 game I was in, and used my Belfast to smoke up a Baltimore who was in a commanding position.  That's pretty rare when I will blow Belfast smoke like that, but it does happen.

:Smile_great:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Yes OP, smokes are best used for yourself.

I and the majority of DD mains have used theirs predominantly for ourselves since the Gun Bloom Nerf.

Edited by Wulfgarn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
368
[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,438 battles

I have smoked up allies who are getting hammered.  This gives them a chance to escape.  If the friendly sits in smoke and tries to fire with impunity, then that's on them.  I have also smoked up in the past to use as a decoy.  However, only in a DD or CA/CL will I sit in smoke and fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
329 posts
328 battles

I sometimes go to smoke a BB or CA in problems, sometimes that can even save her. I do it at risk of my own DD as pushing BBs are so rare and should be compensated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
242 posts
655 battles
1 minute ago, Patosentado said:

I sometimes go to smoke a BB or CA in problems, sometimes that can even save her. I do it at risk of my own DD as pushing BBs are so rare and should be compensated.

I definitely thought your name was PotatoSenpai..... dibs on that name if it is still open XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
372
[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The current (as opposed to previous) smoke mechanics have me confused.

If I have it right, the bloom of a battleship firing behind smoke is such that laying a screen to cover it is now pointless if that battleship is actively firing.

As a British cruiser main, I am used to using my smoke to conceal my OWN position while I sit out in a relatively exposed place with good fields of fire and rain down death upon the enemy before I scoot to cover upon the near expiry of my screen. For most of the time I had access to smoke and was useful with my guns (i.e. the Leander onwards, roughly about the time the Vampire challenge was on), it was under the new rules.

I subsequently carried this over to my US and Pan-Asian destroyer practice.

It seems that the selfless smoke play I have seen on older YouTube vids is now a thing of the past. Or is there something I am missing? I feel I cannot rely on chat requests for smoke, since half the time I see the request, it's before anyone has had a chance to move more than an inch from the spawn point.

Unless you can save someone who is smart enough to stop firing, yes. There are still a LOT of people, especially BBs who do not know this and will beg for smoke they can't use thinking they can still stealth fire from inside ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
609
[ARGSY]
Members
1,301 posts
9,016 battles

I don't really rely on smoke anymore unless I'm in a low tier. I use to hide my escape from trouble, and I offer it to low health BBs who are getting pelted so they can use their heal, or to hide retreating cruisers. In a good concealment dd, I use smoke to cap: I lay a smoke screen and move to either side of it, watch where enemy torpedoes emerge from, and then launch mine in that general direction. Otherwise, I try to stay on the move. That said, I don't really play RN ships, so I can't offer any learned opinion on how to best utilize their smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,060
[ARGSY]
Members
6,454 posts
4,302 battles
12 minutes ago, legozer said:

 That said, I don't really play RN ships, so I can't offer any learned opinion on how to best utilize their smoke.

LOL, you're the one who recruited me to your clan when I was almost exclusively still an RN cruiser main. :Smile_teethhappy:The answer to that question is "Find multiple enemies, deploy in it and let rip until it's almost expired, then run to a safe place while you wait for recharge." And in the meantime, hope that all the friendly ships which had your targets in sight don't either flee behind islands, get sunk, or try to hide in the smokescreen you have created (unless they are radar ships without their own smoke, in which case I expect them to trigger that radar and share the mutual support).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Back in the day, the majorityof BBs would complain when you smoked them.

Boy how times have changed. :cap_wander_2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
621
[TF57]
Members
1,264 posts
3,939 battles

I wouldn't smoke a BB pre-nerf or not, as the average BB player wouldn't be smart enough to realise what it was for.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
10 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I wouldn't smoke a BB pre-nerf or not, as the average BB player wouldn't be smart enough to realise what it was for.

giphy.gif

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×