You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

On missions that require module breakage:

25 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,431 posts
4,302 battles

I have heard that if you sink the ship, this counts as breaking all its modules for those missions that require it. Is this actually true?

[KMS]
Beta Testers
108 posts
12,142 battles

I doubt it....sunk 20 ships yesterday and barely dented the requirements for modules. Got to use something besides torps. Had a clanmate use Kutuzov and HE on BB's to complete the mission fairly quickly. I just don't like playing cruisers that much so going to take me longer. Maybe i'll try a fast firing BB like Scharny.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,193 posts
18,937 battles

Wrong. Only modules that you direct destroy count.

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,616 battles

AA mounts are modules, I believe.  BB's and some cruisers have a lot of them.  Hammer away at them and rake in the module counts.  I was intimidated by the number required, but after a few games I realized I was racking up modules quickly, so no biggie.

Members
164 posts
10,312 battles

A few volleys 203mm HE on a RN BB or some IJN ones should easily break a lot of small caliber AA mounts really fast.

[IBAD]
Members
8 posts
1,596 battles

Using British cruisers works well for me on those missions. You're firing into the superstructure anyways and you end up breaking modules. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,193 posts
18,937 battles
41 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

AA mounts are modules, I believe.  BB's and some cruisers have a lot of them.  Hammer away at them and rake in the module counts.  I was intimidated by the number required, but after a few games I realized I was racking up modules quickly, so no biggie.

Needed 2 games with the MK to get that mission done. You just Need to wreck all those AA guns.

[JUICE]
Members
820 posts
6,369 battles

I ran Hindenburg for two games last night and the mission was complete. So a fast firing cruiser spamming HE at BBs will get it done quick.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
23 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

I ran Hindenburg for two games last night and the mission was complete. So a fast firing cruiser spamming HE at BBs will get it done quick.

You might be surprised at how often that isn’t the case... At least in my personal experience...

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Nope...go to the "detailed" post battle results page (third tab). Put your curser over each ship at the top. It will list how many (if any) modules you damaged on each ship you shot. 

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,905 battles
21 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

You might be surprised at how often that isn’t the case... At least in my personal experience...

Your correct E_Prophet, Hindy is one of my favorite vehicles, and it is not ALWAYS the case.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,332 posts
6,609 battles

Step 1: Play Zao/Conqueror/Des Moines/anything that spits out HE like mad

Step 2: Find a USN T8+ Battleship

Step 3: Break 5-20 AA modules every salvo

Step 4: ...

Step 5: Profit?

[JUICE]
Members
820 posts
6,369 battles
Just now, SireneRacker said:

Step 1: Play Zao/Conqueror/Des Moines/anything that spits out HE like mad

Step 2: Find a USN T8+ Battleship

Step 3: Break 5-20 AA modules every salvo

Step 4: ...

Step 5: Profit?

This is what I was trying to say.

I was not saying to just use Hindenburg.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,332 posts
6,609 battles
2 minutes ago, xXxRCADDICT said:

This is what I was trying to say.

I was not saying to just use Hindenburg.

Huh? I made a general suggestion, not trying to correct you saying that Hindenburg works. All good~

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,770 posts
4,582 battles

Yep. Load some strong HE and spam away.

I did mine on Nelson and a couple other ships spamming HE...Nelson is good as you don't get yelled at for spamming HE all day as a BB...

[JUICE]
Members
820 posts
6,369 battles

I was referring to the others that were talking about my first post not you SireneRacker.

I was saying you are correct....

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

When a ship sinks all the aa guns and stuff dont self destruct...

[OPRAH]
Members
1,027 posts
6,595 battles

I completed this mission in 1 game with my Conqueror.  Lots of tears that game as all I was using was HE.....

Yes, I actually use AP on Conqueror quite a bit.  No, I was not proud of myself for spamming only HE that game.

Members
1,853 posts
17,674 battles

Mogami has option of 15 barrels of module breaking fun/volley...others will work also...but why settle for lower percentages...at least for those that don't have Atanta (1 less barrel/volley but faster ROF).

[ARGSY]
Members
6,431 posts
4,302 battles
22 hours ago, Yep_Its_Jake said:

Using British cruisers works well for me on those missions. You're firing into the superstructure anyways and you end up breaking modules. 

Should be just fine for me then, in future missions anyway - my top two ships are the Edinburgh and Fiji, and if I really need an HE module breaker I can always go to battleship land and fall back on the Normandie at Tier VI. 12 main-battery barrels plus secondaries at shortish range ought to break SOMETHING. 

(Of course right now I'm fresh back from holidays, out of practice, tired, can't shoot or position my ship appropriately to save myself and should not be trusted in Randoms until I improve a little, but that's another matter.)

[THROW]
Members
200 posts
3,951 battles

Took 3 games in light he spam cruisers to get it done. You’re mostly relying on breaking aa and some secondaries or beating up dds and breaking just about everything all at once. Although I’m sure conq does a good job of it as well

[PHU]
Beta Testers
207 posts
3,607 battles

Think I ended up breaking 37 AA mounts in one Duke of York salvo once, this should be a relatively easy mission today.  That torpedo one on the other hand, might take some time.

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,041 battles

Took two battles in the Des Moines last night. Just flinging HE. 

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
52 posts
1,004 battles
On 10/03/2018 at 1:34 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have heard that if you sink the ship, this counts as breaking all its modules for those missions that require it. Is this actually true?

Absolutely not. HE in a BB vs another BB is very good for farming module damage though - tanking a Bretagne against a Colorado, destroyed 18 of its AA guns alone (32 total in the match, plus one secondary battery, one main battery, and someone's steering gears).

Members
100 posts
2,445 battles

The secret to this is that AA guns count. You want to be the first one landing an HE volly on a ship, before everyone else has destroyed the AA mounts for you. Focus battleships and then cruisers. Once I figured that out, it only took 2 or 3 mediocre games in my DoY to complete the mission.