You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_first_harbinger

The Closest Match. Period.

10 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,736 battles

This is THE CLOSEST MATCH in the world of warships. Period. Reason? Read, and you will find out.

First of all, hats off to @ArkticFox and his awesome performance in his Kirov, this wouldn't have been possible without his excellent decisions of tactics and his equally flawless execution of his plans.

From my point of view, this game gave our team a rough start. On the land of fire map, I went to the north-west with cruiser and destroyers while the majority of the team went the other way, and they seemed to be in a terrible hurry to do something IRL because all of them went for a quick one-way ticket back to port. Our flank resisted valiantly, with combined efforts we sank all enemies on our flank, including a pair of battleships and a pair of La galissonere, but time is not on our side. Our pursuit has led us away from the capture zones, and the enemies had three versus our one. 

Our Aigle did his best stalling the enemy fleet on the other flank, together with a New Mexico. However the enemy flotilla, Comprised of a Julio Caesare, a Pensacola and a Shiratsuyu, while all that is left of our team is me in the Lyon, and ArkticFox in his Kirov.

As Kirov's on low health, the strategy is obvious: I rush toward the enemy flotilla, preventing their capture while the Kirov rush to the rest of the capture points. 

Not having a destroyer for spotting quickly proved to be very problematic, as the enemy Julio Caesare were able to put in several good salvos in without being spotted. The enemy Pensacola rushed out of my line of sight and start to hail down supporting fire, and in the middle of the fire exchange when the Caesare was finally spotted, the Shiratsuyu was spotted within great proximity. With only 10k health left, my hope is turning into despair.

Salvo. Julio Caesare is finished. I slammed on the breaks and turned hard way from where the destroyer was, and lucky enough I have avoided the torpedoes! Cornered by the islands, the enemy destroyers turned back, apparently used his torpedo with the reload booster. I know my death is pretty much guaranteed, but this is my only chance to punish the enemy destroyer for his recklessness. As he approaches within 3km, I unloaded my guns, great shot! But the destroyer survived! The secondaries did finish him off, but not before he unleashed a second wave of torpedoes. My fate was sealed, but it was the enemy Pensacola that carried out my execution.

Time is ticking down, the Kirov has captured three points versus the enemy one. But despite this, the point difference is just too great, Kirov has no choice but the confront the Pensacola.

Both spotted each other at the enemy cap, the tension was enough to set the ocean on fire, but the two cruisers with their slow-loading guns started their dance to destroy each other in an orderly fashion.

The Pensacola is left with only 1.1k health! But our Kirov is poised to be citadeled! The Pensacola burst into flames, but our hero in the Kirov also perished!

5aa37036a4a46_ScreenShot2018-03-10at00_09_10.thumb.png.ad2725c081d34b5c28c2a68045ee8ff4.png

No survivors, the outcome of the game is still unknown...

5aa370899507b_ScreenShot2018-03-10at00_09_03.thumb.png.d43818fbf9886f4a5e2d4441364587c8.png

5aa370af91ece_ScreenShot2018-03-10at00_44_04.png.f061ac4945243e2add24fd8eaf35fa4a.png

By a very marginal lead, our team won by superior points!

My heart is still pounding at this moment for this heck of a game! This is the closest game I have ever participated in, and frankly, I don't know if a game can be any closer! At all!

• Cool 2

Members
191 posts

Hadn't had that happen. Did have a game where we had two ships left and the enemy team had three, and they were in process of finishing a 3 cap which they were successful on.
Watched as the timer counted down, it looked to me like the opposing team won, they had gotten enough points the last 3 seconds...thought it was another loss. Get to the next screen and it said victory.

Still don't know how it happened, their last 3 ships survived.
Either way gotta love the close games, cause at least its fun when it gets down to the wire like that.

Edited by xovian

[WOSV]
Members
331 posts
2,211 battles

Props to you and the Kirov. Fantastic game, my friend. If you figured out how to save replays, and saved that one, I'm sure it's Jingles-worthy!

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles

I've had a battle or 2 that ended with a team winning or losing in the last second based on getting that last tick of domination points to let them pass the enemy team's total.  I've had a couple of standard battles where I made a difference near the end of the battle by jumping on the enemy cap for 2-3 ticks to stop them from gaining points while my team still got cap points from our base, and we won by the absolute slimmest of margins.

And I've had a battle that ended in a draw because the enemy ship and my ship, the last 2 remaining ships on the map, killed each other in the exact same second.  Doesn't really get any closer than that.

Members
1,923 posts
2,492 battles

My closest game was when I was brawling an Amagi in my Amagi during last ranked season. We were the last two alive and the battle would run out of time in less than a minute. He died of fire from my secondaries, and I died of fire from his secondaries, but I still won? Ship was blown up during the victory screen, but the game didn't register it in time I guess.

Was a wild one.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,417 posts
7,443 battles

We had a win in clan battles a few weeks ago by a score of 1000-998. Gotta see if I can find the replay and screenshots on that one...

[PSV]
Members
5 posts
8,022 battles

Had a ranked game a couple of seasons ago where we hit 1000 points. But in the half second it took the game to register that fact, the other team hit 1000 also. Although we hit 1000 first, it registered as a draw. (Facepalm) 

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles

I once had a match where the enemy team got to a 999 score and we won. I don't think that can ever be beat.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Zero survivors in a non draw I think beats a 999 loss.  I don't understand how it's mechanically possible.