You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Salute Like a Girl

117 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts
4 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

The center Actress is a camera Ham EYES FRONT 

Especially since the only time you would have three officers from three different countries saluting something together would usually be to a combined forces supreme commander.

[FDK]
Members
1,172 posts
19 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

You salute like this:

Female_officer_saluting.jpg

Not like this:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a780f20c273265cfb02aaf78e7810000.jpg

Well, you shuld know that USS Navy way of salute don't represent the rest of the world ways.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts
34 minutes ago, Xwing_Red1 said:

Well, you shuld know that USS Navy way of salute don't represent the rest of the world ways.

One of those women was a USN officer. She should have known better. You don't salute like other countries do. I saluted a lot of foreign officers in my day; I never saluted them as the British do.

Russian salute:

russiamilita.jpg

Japanese salute (an actual IJN WWII Marine):

tumblr_odokvurtmV1tjjchto1_500.jpg

[IXM]
Supertester
259 posts
4,480 battles
7 hours ago, Jarink said:

Makes me wonder if World of Warplanes did anything for International Women's Day with female crew? At least in that case, there is plenty of historical precedent.

I would really hope they did.  The Night Witches were pretty famous and I am sure they could find someone to use from that group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts
8 minutes ago, Kyralee said:

I would really hope they did.  The Night Witches were pretty famous and I am sure they could find someone to use from that group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

There are many ways that females could be represented historically in WWII-era games, just not as commanders of warships. Even in the US, females played an important role as military transport pilots. However, they did so as civilian auxiliaries. It took many decades before the government officially recognized them as veterans so they could receive benefits.

On June 21, 1944, a House bill to give the WASP military status was narrowly defeated. The civilian male pilots lobbied against the bill

In 1977, President Jimmy Carter signed legislation providing that service as a WASP would be considered "active duty" for the purposes of programs administered by the Veterans Administration. Honorable Discharge certificates were issued to the former WASP members and each WASP was awarded the World War II Victory Medal. Those who served for more than one year were also awarded American Theater Ribbon/American Campaign Medal for their service during the war.

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

How to salute......:Smile_honoring:.  Case closed.

U.S. did indeed have designs on Canada.  I am surprised no one has mentioned Senator Henry Clay of Ky who was the leader of the "Warhawks" who were pushing for war with Great Britain with the notion that we could grab Canada. That failed miserably. U.S. did have a nice victory on Lake Erie however. Put-In-Bay. I guess the defense of Baltimore which succeeded could be called an American victory....."O say can you see etc."  New Orleans was an overwhelming victory for U.S. but was meaningless since it happened after the war was over.  But that battle did become pretty legendary for Americans of the 19th century (a source of pride) and made Jackson a national hero.

Edited by dmckay

[YARRR]
Members
659 posts
5,375 battles

Indeed, the Battle of Lake Erie was the only time in history that an entire Royal Navy squadron surrendered en masse.   A resounding victory for the United States.   

I live not far from there.

[STW]
Members
96 posts
11,618 battles
On 3/11/2018 at 9:55 AM, dmckay said:

U.S. did indeed have designs on Canada.  I am surprised no one has mentioned Senator Henry Clay of Ky who was the leader of the "Warhawks" who were pushing for war with Great Britain with the notion that we could grab Canada. That failed miserably. U.S. did have a nice victory on Lake Erie however. Put-In-Bay. I guess the defense of Baltimore which succeeded could be called an American victory....."O say can you see etc."  New Orleans was an overwhelming victory for U.S. but was meaningless since it happened after the war was over.  But that battle did become pretty legendary for Americans of the 19th century (a source of pride) and made Jackson a national hero.

People like you can be pretty brazen when they are protected from contrarian - and omnipresent - evidence and discussion, largely because people like this forum's admins ban, delete, and suppress information that does not conform to their/your political bent. 

It's even more obnoxious when such people know they're being insulated, then pretend their fantasies have carried the day.

Word of advice to the degenerates: stop flaunting your terms of surrender - in debate or war; nobody's fooled, even those who want to be fooled.

Word of advice to the sincere: For the next week, anyone is free to contact me in game if they are actually confused about the outcome of the wars between the British and the Americans ("Canadians" didn't exist until later conflicts in the mid-19th century).  Unfortunately, any detailed post I might have made the effort for in this forum is demonstrably at risk of deletion.   Actually getting a Reader account at the Library of Congress (largest library in the world) and inspecting the primary source material (British, American, and other sources French, Russian, Spanish, etc) , ofc, is up to you.   Then again, if you're just looking for the low-hanging fruit (and we all have lives) - again - it's omnipresent, and ultimately anyone might be more convinced if they were pointed out simple circumstantial evidence ("direct" evidence is witness testimony, so "circumstantial" is everything else like fingerprints).  I will probably be able to do both in short order - because "not noticing" realities like this is really just a psychological blindspot - partially borne from political correctness, personal or public.

Edited by Jerych
  • Angry 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts
54 minutes ago, Jerych said:

Canadians didn't exist until later conflicts in the mid-19th century  

This is not entirely true. Colonists quickly take on a flavor distinct from their homeland, even if they keep political ties with said homeland. Americans were Americans long before they rebelled against the British homeland. Canadians were not even British for the most part, being French. Also, a good number of Canadians were Americans who moved north after the Revolutionary War because they had not sided with the rebelling colonies. These transplanted Americans were still Americans with a decidedly North-American bent. The word "Canada" itself is older than even the British rule and was used after the British took over the area too (i.e., "Upper and Lower Canada"). 

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
2 hours ago, Jerych said:

People like you can be pretty brazen when they are protected from contrarian - and omnipresent - evidence and discussion, largely because people like this forum's admins ban, delete, and suppress information that does not conform to their/your political bent. 

It's even more obnoxious when such people know they're being insulated, then pretend their fantasies have carried the day.

Word of advice to the degenerates: stop flaunting your terms of surrender - in debate or war; nobody's fooled, even those who want to be fooled.

Word of advice to the sincere: For the next week, anyone is free to contact me in game if they are actually confused about the outcome of the wars between the British and the Americans ("Canadians" didn't exist until later conflicts in the mid-19th century).  Unfortunately, any detailed post I might have made the effort for in this forum is demonstrably at risk of deletion.   Actually getting a Reader account at the Library of Congress (largest library in the world) and inspecting the primary source material (British, American, and other sources French, Russian, Spanish, etc) , ofc, is up to you.   Then again, if you're just looking for the low-hanging fruit (and we all have lives) - again - it's omnipresent, and ultimately anyone might be more convinced if they were pointed out simple circumstantial evidence ("direct" evidence is witness testimony, so "circumstantial" is everything else like fingerprints).  I will probably be able to do both in short order - because "not noticing" realities like this is really just a psychological blindspot - partially borne from political correctness, personal or public.

Hubris and utterly incomprehensible. What in the HELL are you trying to say?:Smile_popcorn:Just make it understandable. Need not go into exotic "degenerate" pseudo intellectual ranting.  LOL  Good writers make it simple.  Carry on.  I am protected?  Huh?

[BNKR]
Members
152 posts
3,821 battles
On 10/03/2018 at 4:19 AM, capncrunch21 said:

Who cares - they are all hot...

:Smile_hiding:  :Smile_teethhappy:

(On a more serious note, that Russian captain would be cool to have in game)

Too true. Blazer and tie? Sign me up.

[TDG]
Members
1,725 posts
9,614 battles
On 3/9/2018 at 10:31 PM, senseNOTmade said:

Gosh... What's the difference?

For the US Navy officer, the key issue is the distance from the tip of the fingers to the brow or cover.

Also, the upper arm should be more parallel to the ground.

For the record, I will allow artistic license for most of it.

[TDG]
Members
1,725 posts
9,614 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 1:01 AM, crzyhawk said:

The finger tips are supposed to be close to the eye socket.  Arm should be parallel to the ground, hand straight.  They're navy, not airforce.  They should be drawn with some pride!

Air Force also knows a proper salute, but I will agree that our pilots need more practice.

[WORX]
Members
6,567 posts
16,206 battles

I think WG dropped the ball here in how each nation salutes. Yeah US Armies do not salute the way it showed in the picture, so sooner or later, someone that is so analytical would point that out. Some my take offense with it  because its not ( rightfully so) how you salute while your in uniform. I try not to single out the US military, I would also include all Militarizes around the world have Pride in the way they salute.

I just hope WG would be a little bit  careful when it comes to all Military matters/traditions regardless of what country uniform is used.

Later guys

[BNKR]
Members
152 posts
3,821 battles

What Navy is the rightmost sailor supposed to represent? Her hat looks like a USN hat, but it doesn't have the USN adornments.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,008 posts
9,734 battles
7 hours ago, TehParakitteh said:

What Navy is the rightmost sailor supposed to represent? Her hat looks like a USN hat, but it doesn't have the USN adornments.

JMSDF