You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Salute Like a Girl

117 comments in this topic

[P-V-E]
Members
1,346 posts
6 minutes ago, SaidNoOneEver said:

Well that's interesting because I can certainly remember at least 1 time when the British Army lost a war.....American Colonists would certainly like a word!  :Smile_teethhappy:

true, but you totally failed in your objectives in 1812, even though it was a sideshow to the Napoleonic wars, as Canada is still there.

[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,190 posts
11,923 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a780f20c273265cfb02aaf78e7810000.jpg

Any body else notice that the Russian officer is looking at the camera but the other two are correctly looking straight ahead ?

:Smile_honoring:    

[90THB]
Members
1,032 posts
7,712 battles
8 minutes ago, b101uk said:

true, but you totally failed in your objectives in 1812, even though it was a sideshow to the Napoleonic wars, as Canada is still there.

Not true!

The Americans declared war (for the first time in their nation’s history) to stop British impressment, reopen the trade lanes with France, remove British support from Native American tribes, and to secure their territorial honor and integrity in the face of their old rulers. All four of these goals were achieved by the time peace broke out, although some British measures were scheduled to be repealed before the war had even begun. By establishing a respected footing with Britain and Canada, the United States also experienced a commercial boom in the years after the war. The overall result of the war was probably positive for the nation as a whole and thus an economic win for America.  It's hard to qualify that as "failure" when our purpose for even declaring war on Britain were fulfilled.  The Brits, on the other hand, had to divert precious resources from Europe to fight the war of 1812 which ended up in really nothing gained for the British crown.   

[SYN]
Members
5,451 posts
12,704 battles

Yeah, that Hollywood movie salute.

At least it wasn't some awkward bent wrist salute with the palm level with the deck.

...and with no cover.

Ugh...

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,923 posts
9,171 battles

it is a fictional salute, perfectly apt, I see no problem, but the middle officer looking at the camera, needs reminding to look straight ahead and to drop the smile. (the only salutes I have ever made involved one or two fingers, so I am in no position to criticize).

[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,923 posts
9,171 battles

I'd rather we worry about the total absence of any female captain avatars in game than the quality of their salutes. But that's just me.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,944 posts
7,332 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

The British Army does not lose wars, sir.

remembrance-sunday-harry1.jpg

no... but that's usually because they go looking for their big brother across the pond to beat up the bully. :Smile_glasses:

• Funny 1

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,790 posts
23,268 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

If it was not for AMERICA helping them in WW2 they the British Empire where the sun never sets would of been speaking the Deutschland language today ..... 

[KNMSU]
Members
6,873 posts
7,514 battles
5 minutes ago, Shadeylark said:

no... but that's usually because they go looking for their big brother across the pond to beat up the bully. :Smile_glasses:

Not really. WWI had been fought to a stalemate by the time the U.S. entered the war. While America's assistance arguably turned the tide and helped defeat Imperial Germany, it is quite possible that it would have been better for the Entente (what remained of it) and Central Powers to eventually reach some sort of truce. Woodrow Wilson's insistence on partitioning German's eastern territories, and carving up the gains resulting from the Treaty of Brest Litovsk into indefensible little fief-nations, completely reliant on Wiemar Germany and the USSR, really just set the stage for WWII.

3 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

If it was not for AMERICA helping them in WW2 they the British Empire where the sun never sets would of been speaking the Deutschland language today ..... 

Totally untrue. Sealion was an utter fantasy, and by late 1941, the RAF had long since won the Battle of Britain. It's unlikely that the British could have launched any kind of a D-Day-like operation without the United States, but Germany's chances of staging some kind of cross-channel attack of their own were destroyed the moment they initiated Barbarossa. 

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,790 posts
23,268 battles

If Deutschland would of performed operation  Sealion it would of been the end for the British Empire , but Hitler lost his nerve and that cost him the war . Think about it Hitler would not have had a two front war fighting the soviets then ?   

• Funny 1

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles
41 minutes ago, SinclairXC said:

ezgif-1-5f829dc29a.gif

But, her hand is in a totally wrong position, wrist is bent....

Oh who am I kidding. I don't care as long as that's the uniform of the day!!! :Smile_great:

• Funny 3

[WOLFB]
Members
54 posts
7,628 battles

the only true salute is the NY salute

Vice President Nelson Rockefeller flips off a crowd of young hecklers, Binghamton, NY, September 16, 1976.

• Funny 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,524 posts
12,810 battles
2 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

Gosh... What's the difference?

The finger tips are supposed to be close to the eye socket.  Arm should be parallel to the ground, hand straight.  They're navy, not airforce.  They should be drawn with some pride!

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,524 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, b101uk said:

I think think we should offer to burn Toronto again for Canada, and let them burn DC again.

[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts
1 minute ago, crzyhawk said:

The finger tips are supposed to be close to the eye socket.  Arm should be parallel to the ground, hand straight.  They're navy, not airforce.  They should be drawn with some pride!

One thing about wearing glasses is you could perform a perfect salute 100% of the time. With glasses you place your fingertips at the corner of your glasses. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,524 posts
12,810 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

One thing about wearing glasses is you could perform a perfect salute 100% of the time. With glasses you place your fingertips at the corner of your glasses. 

Yep.  I used to snap my hand up, give a brief touch, and then lift slightly.  Perfect every time.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,008 posts
9,728 battles
1 hour ago, nuttybiscuit said:

I'd rather we worry about the total absence of any female captain avatars in game than the quality of their salutes. But that's just me.

You've learned your lessons well, it seems: "He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past." --Orwell, 1984.

Please take your manufactured outrage back under your bridge. Scribble away in your own history books if you must, but keep your Sharpie away from everyone else's reality.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
1 hour ago, nuttybiscuit said:

That's a disgusting ideology oozing out of your face hole.  

I have less of a problem with cartoon captains in the game than I do altering history to appeal your ideology.  That coming from someone who hates the cartoon captains.

The only way you get your WW2 female captains is by inventing a time machine. While you're at it probably a mind control machine to convince a 1940s woman that sailing sound the Pacific for four years in constant danger was in her best interests.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[PNP]
Members
427 posts
3,739 battles

I wonder, how do sailors in the Russian Navy salute? Perhaps if they used that as a reference instead, then it would be understandable. Or maybe they just goofed up. :Smile_honoring:

[POP]
Members
2,161 posts
19,320 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

hi

Its my understanding that the British salute was done like this by enlisted men to show there officers that they were not carrying a weapon, hence the open palm of the hand of course that may not be the only reason I'm certain there will be some one here that served in the Military of Great Britain that may know the full reason.

cheers   

Edited by tm63au

[PSP]
Members
10,015 posts

British Army tradition for privates and non-commissioned officers to remove their hat to greet officers. Junior officers did the same to their seniors. This apparently ended in the 18th Century because of concerns over excessive wear to headgear or hats becoming more cumbersome. A 1745 British order book states: "The men are ordered not to pull off their hats when they pass an officer, or to speak to them, but only to clap up their hands to their hats and bow as they pass."

The British Army developed a salute with the palm facing outwards, also used by the Royal Air Force. The Royal Navy, however, adopted a version with the palm facing downwards, thought to be because many men working on ships had dirty palms and to display them was disrespectful.

The salute works both as a mark of recognition for the Queen's commission awarded to officers and for seniority of rank, says Simon Lamb, of the British Veterans Recognition Card group. It is important that the senior person returns the salute to acknowledge the respect accorded, he argues.

The Royal Navy's form of salute is thought to have influenced the US military, whose version also involves the palm facing downwards http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30679406

[TG-38]
1,307 posts
7,995 battles

No, that's how (R)ussians salute. The actual pic of the real sailor is correct.

[TG-38]
1,307 posts
7,995 battles
4 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

Gosh... What's the difference?

Hand curvature for one.