Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Best high tier Battleships

Poll Title  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which nation has the best high tier BBs?

• British
    • United States
    • Japan
    • France
    • Germany (non-beneficial for me option)

20 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
918 posts
2,119 battles

Strictly an opinion based question. Tomorrow I will have all my battleship grinds to tier 7 (except the German. Someday Ill find 15 million credits to spare for FdG). Which should I start with first? Of course Im gonna do 'em all, but I have some premium times and several premium camos/flags to make use of... If I focus I can do like 150k xp a day! I am liking the Brits, but also wanna get out of these American dreadnoughts like the Colorado and into some high tier American punishment. No need for Japan (Yammy isn't going anywhere fast) and I have the Gascogne, so there is no need to rush up the Frenchies for the sake of missions... Though a buffed up Dunkerque looks fun:cap_rambo:

Anyhow, cast your vote. I'm leaning British but hey, I wouldn't be here if I already knew what I wanted:Smile_Default:

Members
1,540 posts
8,168 battles

Hey

To be honest; for me the FDG is a POS to put it mildly.  My other T9 BB is the MO. so much better.  I do like my T8 German Bismarck and Tirpitz, T8 Alabama is quite fun, no T10 BB yet.

Pete 

Members
4,538 posts
6,428 battles

I suck but Scharnhorst, played right, is a beast. Tier 7. 

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,415 posts
3,337 battles

I voted French. Go with the flavor of the month (lol) and start chucking shells baguettes at enemies, while driving around at SONIC SPEED, lol.

• Cool 1

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

This is a good question. The French and US lines which I think are the weakest two overall get considerably stronger in the higher tiers. The Germans on the other hand IMO get considerably weaker. Seeing the nature of your question I'm going to ignore premiums

1)UK-Besides the French(Whose stats are heavily inflated merit of them being so new), UK tech tree battleships are leading in damage, WR and KD at every single higher tier except K/D at T8. T8 margin of stat superiority is the narrowest and I think Richelieu's going to be the best T8 BB going forward when the dust settles.     

2)France-I think Richelieu and maybe Alsace are the best ships at their tier. All four French ships lead their tier in virtually everything but I think when the numbers stabilize with Richelieu and maybe Alsace it will stay this way while Lyon and Republique will not remain on top. Taking away my opinion, this is just based on the sheer margins that the ships are leading in the stats which are higher at T8 and T9 than in T10 and T7.

3)Japan-Japan's tech tree ships are third in most stats at the higher tiers(counting France), ahead of the USA and Germany.

4)Germany-While my perception has been that Germany gets worse and the USA gets better in the higher tiers, Germany has a clear edge. Gneisenau beats the Colorado at every stat and Grosser Kurfurst, FDG and Bismarck clearly do more damage and have better WP's. At T7-T10, KD's is a virtual tie, with Gneisenau winning by 0.2 and the USA winning by 0.4,0.2 and 0.1 respectivly at T8-T10.  

5)USA-Last in basically everything except KD where the USA is basically tied for last.  USA is doing quite in well in this poll regardless of this. Maybe people are counting premiums because it should be noted that Missouri and Alabama are an entirely different story? Didn't count them because OP wants to know what tree to choose.

Basically looking at the numbers the UK and French are the top tree's for the higher tiers, but narrowly favors the UK. Japan is a solid but distant third and the Germany and USA are an even further distant fourth and fifth. 

The way I think the numbers show it

T7-KGV

T8-Richelieu

T9-Lion/Alsace

T10-Conqueror

Edited by Aristotle83

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,216 battles

Be interesting to know what really good players think versus the stats that include everyone 

[CO_OP]
[CO_OP]
Members
205 posts
12,759 battles

The tirpitz but the richelieu is gain fast...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,054 posts
14,457 battles

None.  They're all great and some more ideal for certain situations.   

The only one that has problems are USN.  Until you get to Tier VIII there's not much to be excited for.  Then you are compensated once at Tier VIII.  To make up for garbage like Wyoming, New York, New Mexico, Colorado, you are then offered North Carolina, Alabama, Iowa, Missouri, Montana.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
On 3/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, Visidious said:

Be interesting to know what really good players think versus the stats that include everyone 

Well what's interesting in this regard is ranked play. This is limited because of how many ships weren't around for ranked play at the higher tiers but here's what that says.

T7

Nagato's got a narrow edge over Scharnhorst in WR(50.91 to 50.81) and Damage(53k to 50k). Scharnhorst has an ever narrower edge over Nagato in WR(1.4 to 1.3). Gneisenau is a distant third in everything and Colorado is a distant fourth in everything. This leaves a lot of question marks because the UK BB's and the Lyon all didn't exist at this point and those are arguably better than every last ship that participated in previous T7 ranked play.

This is how general stats compared to ranked 

Nagato-WR -1.11 Damage -5k KD+0.1

Scharnhorst-WR-1.82 Damage -2k KD+0.1

Gneisenau WR-0.05 Damage rounding error KD +0.1

Colorado WR -0.34 Damage -4k KD +0.1

T8

Roma which came in late in the season has the highest WR 52.77% with Amagi(51.59), Alabama(51.51) and Bismarck(51.07) all being pretty close. Roma has a larger WR lead in normal play. Tirpitz(49.88), North Carolina(49.26%), Monarch(48.84) and Kii(48.64) are all below 50% here with Tirpitz being closest at 49.88%. In terms of damage Amagi wins with 65k with Roma and Alabama having around 63k. Every other ship has less than 60k damage with Bismarck and Monarch rounding to 60k. This is the stat I've seen the largest difference from normal play in, Roma is winning that with Monarch beating Amagi and Alabama. In KD Amagi had 1.5 with Roma and Alabama having 1.3, seeing the same group do better. In normal play it's largely the same Amagi 1.5, Roma 1.4 and Alabama 1.3 with their being a narrower difference between that group and the rest. 

Roma WR+1.38 Damage -1k KD +0.1

Amagi WR+0.09  Damage-7k KD+0.3

Alabama WR+1.14 Damage -7k KD no difference

Bismarck WR +0.05 Damage -4k KD +0.1

Tirpitz WR-0.01 Damage -5k KD+0.1

North Carolina WR-0.25 Damage -7k KD no difference

Monarch WR+2.48 Damage rounding error KD +0.1 

Kii WR +3.36 Damage -5k KD +0.1

There has never been T9 or T10 ranked seasons yet. 

[-BSS-]
Members
394 posts
6,216 battles
1 hour ago, Aristotle83 said:

Well what's interesting in this regard is ranked play. This is limited because of how many ships weren't around for ranked play at the higher tiers but here's what that says.

T7

Nagato's got a narrow edge over Scharnhorst in WR(50.91 to 50.81) and Damage(53k to 50k). Scharnhorst has an ever narrower edge over Nagato in WR(1.4 to 1.3). Gneisenau is a distant third in everything and Colorado is a distant fourth in everything. This leaves a lot of question marks because the UK BB's and the Lyon all didn't exist at this point and those are arguably better than every last ship that participated in previous T7 ranked play.

This is how general stats compared to ranked 

Nagato-WR -1.11 Damage -5k KD+0.1

Scharnhorst-WR-1.82 Damage -2k KD+0.1

Gneisenau WR-0.05 Damage rounding error KD +0.1

Colorado WR -0.34 Damage -4k KD +0.1

T8

Roma which came in late in the season has the highest WR 52.77% with Amagi(51.59), Alabama(51.51) and Bismarck(51.07) all being pretty close. Roma has a larger WR lead in normal play. Tirpitz(49.88), North Carolina(49.26%), Monarch(48.84) and Kii(48.64) are all below 50% here with Tirpitz being closest at 49.88%. In terms of damage Amagi wins with 65k with Roma and Alabama having around 63k. Every other ship has less than 60k damage with Bismarck and Monarch rounding to 60k. This is the stat I've seen the largest difference from normal play in, Roma is winning that with Monarch beating Amagi and Alabama. In KD Amagi had 1.5 with Roma and Alabama having 1.3, seeing the same group do better. In normal play it's largely the same Amagi 1.5, Roma 1.4 and Alabama 1.3 with their being a narrower difference between that group and the rest. 

Roma WR+1.38 Damage -1k KD +0.1

Amagi WR+0.09  Damage-7k KD+0.3

Alabama WR+1.14 Damage -7k KD no difference

Bismarck WR +0.05 Damage -4k KD +0.1

Tirpitz WR-0.01 Damage -5k KD+0.1

North Carolina WR-0.25 Damage -7k KD no difference

Monarch WR+2.48 Damage rounding error KD +0.1 

Kii WR +3.36 Damage -5k KD +0.1

There has never been T9 or T10 ranked seasons yet. 

Interesting info !

seems they are all fairly close when people who are interested in ranked play are at the helm and in that environment 

[BSL]
Members
740 posts
14,558 battles

Alsace is the best T9.

T10....all have strengths, so it's really a matter of playing styles.  My current favorite is Republique, but I still play all my T10s regularly except Monty (we never quite got along).

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Not sure about best Overall Line for "high Tiers" still working my way up most of them. Highest non-prem is Amagi and I've got 100k+ to Izumo still. 

Anyways from what I've experienced shooting at or being shot by...

T7 - KGV, 10x 356mm shells every 25s is pretty impressive. Lyon, 16!x 340s. Nagato, been around since launch; still performs, has good balance. 

T8 - Bismarck, arguably the Apex of the KM line; I enjoy Tirpitz, looking forward to trading Torpedoes for Hydro. NC, impressive AA; and where the USN line appears to stop "feeling like a grind". Richelieu, a T8 super sized Dunkerque. 

T9 - Alsace, 12!x 380s. Iowa, impressive AA and Speed. Lion, good stealth rating and super-heal.

T10 - Yamato...

Left out the premiums since I'm of the assumption that their addition for comparison isn't what being asked for. If there's wonder what high Tier Prems I would list: Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, 'Bama, Missouri, Musashi. 

Anyways, the first ship listed per tier imo will be  definite "keepers" for me. 

---

Each line has their Standouts at higher tiers. And no line has a monopoly on "best at high Tiers" 

Although if you're a Cruiser player and want an "entry level BB" the RN or French will probably be the best Gateway. The RN have Stealth, and you're probably already comfortable with knowing when to swap ammo types. And the French have speed which allows you to reinforce and interdict where you know other Cruisers will be. 

But if you're going by Votes then comparing to posts, I'd say IJN BBs are "best at high Tier" Izumo being the exception, Nagato, Amagi, and Yamato all probably would rank in the Top 3 BBs for their Tiers from others' "personal preference" 

Although this is the NA forum... so by personal preference most may prefer USN.

[BSL]
Members
740 posts
14,558 battles

The problem with premium T8s is the frequently get up tiered to 10.  I play them til I win the daily and then move up.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,054 posts
14,457 battles
16 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

The problem with premium T8s is the frequently get up tiered to 10.  I play them til I win the daily and then move up.

IMO, the only Tier VIII BBs that have a real problem in a Tier X match are Bismarck and Tirpitz.  They are very reliant on muscling their way to someone and overwhelm them with secondaries, armor, and fast shooting 15" guns at short ranges.  At range, they suck bad, and that's how a lot of high tier matches go for a long time.  The shells lose a lot of power with more range, on top of "Broken German Zeiss Optics."

t8bbpen.png.6bf2cedfce458f8a3c1276120331

In comparison, Kii and Amagi don't mind slinging shells at range.  NC & Alabama have floaty shells and demand a lot of practice to hit at range, but they do have magnificent penetration capability with those AP shells... Just look at the American curve!  Richelieu / Gascogne have broken dispersion also like Ze Germanz, but at least they maintain some good penetration capability throughout.  Most other BBs offer something, but Bismarck / Tirpitz have both weak shells and bad dispersion.  Monarch is using HE anyways, and her gunnery is passable like KGV.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester
3,477 posts
1,521 battles

Best Tier 10, my vote goes to Conqueror.  RN HE, Super heal and the underwater citadel is pretty hard to beat.  Flamu also showed that it can sling AP just as well as any other Tier 10 BB as well. 

Best Tier 9 and 10  goes to RN as well for the same reasons.

2nd place would be USN with its solid line up all through Tier 8, 9 and 10.  Probably the overall most rewarding.

As for the rest:

German - Bismarck is great but in my opinion it goes downhill from there.  The Tier 9 and 10 are ok but just ok.

IJN - would be great is you didn't have to grind thought the Izumo, that ship has to be one of the worst I have every played.  Yamato is awesome though.  

French - I really have mixed feelings about this tree.  The Richelieu is decent but not great while I really am not  a fan of the Alsace. It just has too many small flaws that combine together to make the ship feel kind of meh to me.  The Republique really shocked me though. It actually performs above my expectations at least in the limited few battles I have played with it.  

Supertester
417 posts
6,094 battles

Competitively speaking, Montana is probably the best, followed closely by Conqueror and Yamato. But honestly, my favorite so far has been the République, just because of that amazing reload and the great AP, it's just a blast to play. I feel like GK kinda of lost some reputation right now, having only the hydro and the armor as true features, because in my experience République has more reliable secondaries, everyone except maybe Yamato has more reliable AA, everyone is more maneouverable, and everyone has better firing angles, and the guns aren't all that great compared to everyone else's. Not that GK isn't strong, but I feel it offers the least interesting features at the moment.

Members
234 posts
803 battles

Last 2 weeks. North America. SOLO. The stats for 2 man and 3 man groups are very different. This is if you play alone, which, IMHO, shows how a ship truly stands up. Win rate is nearly identical. Damage is very different. As is survival (hi, Conqueror). Hit chance very close.

Name   Battles Win rate Dmg XP K/D Ship kills Plane kills Survival Main Battery Hit
Großer Kurfürst  Germany 24,981 50.75% 80,893 1,426 1.4 0.9 1.5 36% 28%
République  France 3,348 49.64% 96,363 1,709 1.6 1 1.8 38% 29%
Conqueror  UK 11,656 49.50% 99,206 1,621 1.6 0.8 1.2 47% 26%
Yamato  Japan 31,796 49.08% 87,916 1,587 1.4 0.9 1.1 39% 29%
Montana  USA 35,238 48.50% 76,367 1,474 1.4 0.8 1.6 39% 27%

Sign in to follow this