Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

So, so tired of Ranger vs. Saipan matches

44 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles

I just... it's ridiculous. It is absolutely stupid that these two ships get lined up against each other, when so much depends on the performance of a carrier. I cannot tell you how many times I have been in matches where we would have otherwise won handily, except that matchmaking decided that we were going to draw the bad card. Why did Saipan ever become a thing? Why is Ranger such a useless turd?

• Cool 3

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles

5Zsmp0a.png

On a more serious note:

Spoiler

Saipan fighters are strong... but if they get strafed, they won't be happy. The other thing you can do with range is attack their Strike squadrons, because they get so few of those.

Spoiler

Random Sister of Battle
CEGr4X1.png

• Funny 3
  • Bad 4

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles
15 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

5Zsmp0a.png

On a more serious note:

Reveal hidden contents

Saipan fighters are strong... but if they get strafed, they won't be happy. The other thing you can do with range is attack their Strike squadrons, because they get so few of those.

Reveal hidden contents

Random Sister of Battle
CEGr4X1.png

Exactly how is a non carrier player supposed to play any role in determining an air battle between a dud CV and a brokenly OP CV? Or were you just so hyper eager to whip out that stupid meme that context be damned?

• Cool 3

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
2 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Exactly how is a non carrier player supposed to play any role in determining an air battle between a dud CV and a brokenly OP CV? Or were you just so hyper eager to whip out that stupid meme that context be damned?

You didn't read the spoiler, did you?

• Bad 1

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,864 posts
19,063 battles

I heard that the CV ship playing is Broken , so all of my CVs up to tier (8) been collecting dust for a very long time now .......maybe a year already ?

[RLGN]
Members
8,264 posts
17,271 battles

Who knows. Gave up on Saipan a year ago because all I ever saw in it was bottom tiering.

I’ll admit to weak strafing skills; but at the same time, I play carriers because I want to influence games by attacking ships; not by jacking around half a game in some sky dance trying to decide who gets free reign the second half of a game.

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
32 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I just... it's ridiculous. It is absolutely stupid that these two ships get lined up against each other, when so much depends on the performance of a carrier. I cannot tell you how many times I have been in matches where we would have otherwise won handily, except that matchmaking decided that we were going to draw the bad card. Why did Saipan ever become a thing? Why is Ranger such a useless turd?

This is what you get when you futz around with the tiers of the planes to that great a degree.  With as many planes as the Saipan has (honestly though, for a CVL, its hanger capacity seems too large, though I haven't checked out the historical numbers), why couldn't they have just stuck with a more normal loadout?

I'm sick and tired of this idea they have stuck in their heads that all premiums have to have these increasingly silly gimmicks. 

Does it seem to anyone else that the best premiums (and I don't mean the most ridiculously OP ones) are the ones that may be a about as good as a fully upgraded ship of the same type and tier, but are well balanced without the use of silly gimmicks?  That's not to say that they can't have different consumables.  Just not ones that don't really makes sense and don't synergize well with the ship.

For example, the Duke of York's hydro seems silly to me.  Not that it'd be silly on some prem BB's.  But on a ship class that's more often than not going to prefer to fight at range, a consumable that's most useful for short range torpedo early warning seems like a waste on an RN BB.  Def AA would have been more useful.  SuperHeal would have been more useful.  Just letting it keep a spotter plane would have been more useful.  Forcing it to be Hydro just seems like an intentionally lame consumable.

By comparison, the Tirpitz seems to be well rounded and its gimmick (torpedoes) synchronizes well with its brawling combat style.  Frankly, I wish more, if not all, premiums were like the Tirpitz in terms of being well rounded, balanced, and with a gimmick that suits the ship's play style, rather than one that seems like it's almost a waste.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,975 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This is what you get when you futz around with the tiers of the planes to that great a degree.  With as many planes as the Saipan has (honestly though, for a CVL, its hanger capacity seems too large, though I haven't checked out the historical numbers), why couldn't they have just stuck with a more normal loadout?

She could apparently carry 50 planes IRL, which seems like way too many for that hull, but whatever. But, yes. Having the planes over-tier their opponents' by two tiers is just ludicrous. And with the squadron size increasing skill, having the smaller squadrons isn't that big a deal.

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Who knows. Gave up on Saipan a year ago because all I ever saw in it was bottom tiering.

I’ll admit to weak strafing skills; but at the same time, I play carriers because I want to influence games by attacking ships; not by jacking around half a game in some sky dance trying to decide who gets free reign the second half of a game.

I know what  you mean, Prophet.  I haven't given up on CV's per se.  But I only rarely play them in Random, and almost then always to do a mission requiring a CV.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
5,809 battles

I parked my Kaga because I was tired of being farmed by AS Saipan abomination. Have also parked Lexi because its consistantly outmatched by Enterprise.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Because as long as Kaga exists, Saipan is only the second best carrier in T7.  As long as Kaga exists, Saipan should be allowed to make CV players cry.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

It's especially fun when everyone is trying to get hits with torpedoes, because it looks like having AA, and having torpedoes is mutually exclusive.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,632 posts
13,606 battles

Yeah and I don't have one but seems like every match I see a ranger in they get there butt beat

• Cool 1

Members
2,289 posts
4,117 battles
2 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I'm just guessing you have never been in the brokenly OP cv facing someone that knows what they are doing in a ranger. 

I loved seeing a 2-2-0 Saipan in the old strike ranger way more than a good Hiryu or old AS ranger. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,697 posts
7,233 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

It's especially fun when everyone is trying to get hits with torpedoes, because it looks like having AA, and having torpedoes is mutually exclusive.

Kutuzov, Atlanta, Kidd, Grozovoi

Minotaur!!!

But I see what you mean with 4 torp hits and win mission.  Got mine done in very first game with Shinonome today, phew.

Edited by Ramsalot

[WOLFB]
Members
1,728 posts
8,256 battles

Seriously, bring back the old 2-0-2 Ranger, at least she had the ability to defend against Saipan. I'm not playing Ranger but I know how crap it is to have only 1 fighter when the ennemi can have either 2 or 3 

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,729 posts
7,705 battles

Well the Ranger is stupid strong if the enemy CV does not oppose it but the Saipan just sucks the fun out of being a tier 7 CV. Its almost impossible to accomplish anything against a similarly skilled Saipan even if they run torps. I got lucky my last few Ranger battles and only faced one Saipan but anything not another Ranger was tough. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

CVs suck the fun out for everyone else.  Saipans are hero ships for helping keep the population down

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,465 battles

Don't worry, if it's not Saipan, it will be Kaga breaking the game.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

Saipan only breaks CVs ;)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,113 posts
14,519 battles

I always get the Saipan players on my team that don't have ASE trait and get bossed around in the sky by Kaga.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

This is why nobody liked the USN CV loadout changes. The meta is number of fighter groups. Adding more offensive options didn't address the problem.

The real question is which matchup is worse: Saipan vs. Ranger or Enterprise vs. Lexington.

Sign in to follow this