Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BullpupWOT

First time on "Ocean"...yikes!

44 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

Well, I bought the Atago last night...it's for down the road as I progress because the IJN cruiser line is one of my two main lines (US cruisers also) and I think it will serve captains, credits, etc well in the long run. 

I did decide I would give it a quick go just to see how she felt. I got tier 10 and the map Ocean...which i'd never seen. 

It was tough sledding in a loss. I only did 29k but that was because my aim was terrible judging the new arcs and flight time. 

Just curious though...how the hell does one stay alive in a tier 8 cruiser on that map?  I did a lot of kiting and holding fire to go dark again, but at some point you have to fire, fight, and get focused by multiple enemies of course. 

I was happy with my angling and tanking as I survived quite a bit longer than I had expected to. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

Makes me wonder how well attempting to stealth torp in the Atago would go. Not sure if its the stealthiest cruiser in high rank games though. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,427 posts
9,548 battles

Ocean really teaches you how to master your ship. I whish it popped up more often.

• Cool 3

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,334 battles
1 minute ago, Yoshiblue said:

Makes me wonder how well attempting to stealth torp in the Atago would go. Not sure if its the stealthiest cruiser in high rank games though. 

Shh don’t tell everyone how Atago is actually the best IJN DD.

[SANK]
Members
127 posts
4,803 battles

It doesn't help that all the BBs just want to remove DPS from the field, and the easiest and quickest way is to throw AP at cruisers. I think this is why CA/CL get so much fire in later tiers, unless thee is a greater threat closer.

Edited by Billy2Hawks

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles

Ocean is a thing. It's a good map for practicing certain skills and learning detection tricks... but it is also just ridiculously difficult for Tier 8s and cruisers which are designed to augment their survivability with islands.

Des Moines has a hard time on it because she has a shorter range than most other cruisers but, unlike Minotaur, doesn't carry portable concealment (smoke generator), meaning that if you aren't really good, you are going to not do as well...

Partially because the game focuses on damage so much as to how it rewards you.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Ocean Map is the best for truly learning your ship. Your Atago is well suited for this Map. The over abundance of uptier ships makes you more cautious but in the end if you play the strengths you can do very well in her.

[O7]
Members
595 posts
7,864 battles
19 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Pretty doable, actually.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Stay in the back and set BBs on fire. When it gets hot go concealed, when being broadside to a BB go concealed an reposition.

Just keep wiggling and getting hot means when multiple ships start shooting you or a rare Yamato with accurate aim.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,341 posts
14,874 battles

Honestly, it sounds like OP understands the strategy fine on this map.  Atago's arcs pretty closely match the high tier IJN cruisers and once you master them, you are good.  Also, the range of the ship is fantastic (as opposed to Des Moines as mentioned above) which allows you to set ships on fire and get away again.  You just always keep going, you zig, you zag, you watch how many ships targeting you to determine how quickly to disappear.  The biggest challenge is you don't want to over extend (supporting caps, etc).

[R-F]
Members
781 posts
6,404 battles

I love Ocean in my high-tier destroyers.  Can't be surprised by anything other than my fellow DDs.  I can see how it's not for everyone though.

Fun fact: Every time you get Ocean, at least one person well say "OMG Ocean?  I thought they got rid of this map."

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,663 battles
16 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

She's one of the stealthier cruisers. The British cruisers are slightly stealthier and have smoke but also tend to draw more fire. You can get Atago down to 9.1KM stealth IIRC with full stealth build.  

She does surprisingly well for me in t9/10; she is arguably my best cruiser. On ocean you don't have much choice but to play her cautiously until the other side gets thinned out a bit so as not to get focused out quick, but if you can try and engage from second line and where/ when enemy focused on others, and be evasive/angled enough to not be the most inviting target, she can do well there. Its a balancing act; you want to be in position to support your DDs and murder other DDs to secure caps without leading charge and getting loldeleted in a salvo from a t10 BB. If you have a timid team and no one will move toward caps you'll have a tough time.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I don't think it's necessary for you to just hold off playing the Atago.  You seem to be catching on pretty quick.  I got one as a gift long before I earned any higher tier ships and did quite well in it. 

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
35 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

Ocean is awesome.  it should be the only map.  this is a boat game we don't need corridors.  if you want corridors go play WOT.  

Didn't really say I disliked it. It was just a surprise since I hadn't gotten it yet. I had most of my trouble harnessing the aim of the new ship. 

[PVE]
Members
1,607 posts
6,759 battles

Best map in the game, wish it would happen more in the so called map rotation.

• Bad 1

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,957 battles

I have Ocean only twice. Once in my Bismarck, another in my Hipper. Playing a BB in Ocean, especially if your ship has armor, is very fun. Playing with Hipper is a different story. It's just strategies that people normally use to battle doesn't work too well for a map with no cover lol.

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,766 battles

Ocean is one of my fav maps. Does not work for short-ranged cruisers (e.g. Atlanta), but works very well for stealth DDs, long range cruisers and BBs. Atago does well.

Members
1,866 posts
57 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Well, I bought the Atago last night...it's for down the road as I progress because the IJN cruiser line is one of my two main lines (US cruisers also) and I think it will serve captains, credits, etc well in the long run. 

I did decide I would give it a quick go just to see how she felt. I got tier 10 and the map Ocean...which i'd never seen. 

It was tough sledding in a loss. I only did 29k but that was because my aim was terrible judging the new arcs and flight time. 

Just curious though...how the hell does one stay alive in a tier 8 cruiser on that map?  I did a lot of kiting and holding fire to go dark again, but at some point you have to fire, fight, and get focused by multiple enemies of course. 

I was happy with my angling and tanking as I survived quite a bit longer than I had expected to. 

Against real players or bots?

[VW]
Members
1,940 posts
12,499 battles

Ocean is the best map! They need to make it more frequent! The key to success and why it’s hated by some is teamwork. In order for cas to survive the fleet must move together with each ship performing its proper role. When this happpens cruisers can fire and maneuver and this survive. What hppens all to often is typical random style yoloing which only gets you focused and devastated.

Edited by monpetitloup

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

The key is to recognize that everyone can only fire at one target at a time. As such, even if you're a juicy cruiser who is setting fires and generally being a pain for the enemy team, as long as you aren't the JUICIEST target, and as long as you aren't the BIGGEST pain for the enemy team, you'll be able to sail around with surprising freedom, safe in the knowledge that it's someone else's job to take the hits and tank the damage. Basically, never be alone, never be the closest ship to the enemy team, never be the only one in range to fire torps, never be the one showing the biggest broadside, and whenever possible, always outnumber the enemy team, at least in a local battle.

[RLGN]
Members
8,266 posts
17,289 battles

Learned to like Ocean in Atlanta...

...mostly because I stayed behind the battleships and made life hell for destroyers that tried to flank.

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

You know. I started playing this game expecting to see all Ocean all the time. Maybe just a couple small islands thrown in here and there. Because this is a game about ships, not tanks.

Well...

[ZR]
WoWS Wiki Editor
564 posts
4,793 battles

Ocean's is a fine map to play on accasionally

Got it while playing my Yamato the other day, had a great game sailing mid

Sign in to follow this