Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TexasDonkeyMan

Criss Crossing at start

30 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
2 posts
128 battles

I have noticed a lot of times at the start of the game my team will all criss cross (think immediate 90 degree right turn and 90 degree left turn) so that the ships that started on the left are now on the right and vice versa.....  in the mean time while this has been going on the other team has capped 3 or 4 caps and the game ends rather quickly.  It has gotten to the point where even as a new player, I know if I am going to win  or lose within 30 seconds of the game starting by how much criss crossing there is.

If you are a dd starting in front of cap A ..... why do you immediately turn and drive across the whole map to Cap C while the dd starting in Cap C immediately turns and drives across map to cap a??

So why do people do this??? what am I missing??? 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
797
[MIA-A]
Members
2,148 posts
6,836 battles

What tiers are you playing at?

Lower tiers things are all sorts of weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
497
[R-F]
Members
786 posts
6,420 battles

One one hand claiming the majority of the caps early is overrated.  Seen plenty of games where one team does that but puts itself in a weaker position in doing so, and ends up falling behind in ships and then losing the caps.

But mostly I think what you're seeing is that nobody wants to lead the charge.  The first spotted, closest battleship to the enemy is going to draw the most fire and die first.  So people tend to head towards the majority of the team, which results in the flanks criss-crossing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,416 battles

I'll cross the map if its not set up right for the ship i am in (ex:  atlanta , i'll cross the map to get to a place with islands), or if someone is asking for help at an opposite side right off the bat and no one tries to help them. 

sometimes i am just more confident in my ability to mount a successful attack from a given side of certain maps.  

Edited by AnimaL21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
116
[MKF]
Members
410 posts
15,165 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

What tiers are you playing at?

Lower tiers things are all sorts of weird.

I see it more midtier but it happens infrequently in high tierd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
214
[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,339 battles
3 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

What tiers are you playing at?

Lower tiers things are all sorts of weird.

Weird is not limited to just low tiers, believe me.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985
Members
4,592 posts
6,543 battles

Looking for greener pastures. I see this pretty often in the low tiers but happens in higher tiers also. When I see a bunch of ships going in all different directions I get worried very very quick. 

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,321 battles

Yeah... some maps I'm more comfortable on a particular side.    Sometimes, I'm the lone spawn on the edge.   Yeah, I'm turning 90 and heading towards the middle (unless the team heads my way - usually they don't).

Sometimes, I'm in the middle, with no cover, and a long range spamming cruiser.   I turn to look for better cover.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,492 battles

Sometimes it's dumb, but sometimes it makes sense to play the match from a location different from your spawn depending on the team composition and the ship you're in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

When playing solo I go where I am comfortable with the ships around me dependant on what ship I am Driving.

When in BB I will look for a couple of CA's to support.

When in a CA I will look to the DD's for help in spotting.

When in a DD I will most likely die {not a good DD player}

  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
593
[WOLF6]
Members
1,876 posts
4,935 battles

I play DDs. I go where I am needed, regardless of spawn location. I don’t need cover, I don’t need support (unless I’m in a “have to” cap situation) and sometimes when my fellow DDs are off doing mission requirements or otherwise looking out for themselves, I gotta go across the  map. Nae worries, aye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
Members
978 posts
7,235 battles

There are a few legitimate reasons for this as others have pointed out but one main reason people do it is cowardice. People are afraid of dying in the initial engagement. Crossing the map gives them a "justifiable" reason to hang back and let their teammates go first aka use them as human shields.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,973 battles

Things are a little bit more consistent at higher tiers. Low Tier is the Wild West. Anything can happen there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
396 posts
6,353 battles

Some of the repositioning is good to get out of the way at the start, if someone is going to go broadside to get to a location best do it at the start while far away versus heading towards caps and then going broadside to position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
133
[TGO]
Beta Testers
797 posts
4,176 battles

It's a bit like Counter Strike, where players have their favorite spot to ambush other players. It seems this is also true here but with boats and islands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

One one hand claiming the majority of the caps early is overrated.  Seen plenty of games where one team does that but puts itself in a weaker position in doing so, and ends up falling behind in ships and then losing the caps.

But mostly I think what you're seeing is that nobody wants to lead the charge.  The first spotted, closest battleship to the enemy is going to draw the most fire and die first.  So people tend to head towards the majority of the team, which results in the flanks criss-crossing.  

  And, or course, lots of team damage warnings as many players are completely oblivious to the fact that there are 7 or 11 allies who also spawned near there.   Drives me crazy, too.   Especially if I'm in one of my US Standards.  Not only am I not fast enough to switch sides like that- if I want any chance at getting in the fight- it takes forever to speed back up after I make a panic full astern!!!  when some butt munch cuts me off.   (half of them don't even know they've hit you- or even that they're stuck to you like a barnacle)

  I see this in Colorado, just as often as in New York or South Carolina.   ANY BB for that matter, really.

  Reminds me of driving in NYC; NJ and CT it does...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
139
[WDS]
Members
388 posts
7,084 battles
1 hour ago, Dath_1 said:

I see it more midtier but it happens infrequently in high tierd

That's because nobody moves in higher tiers for 5 minutes .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
457
[VW]
Members
1,952 posts
12,501 battles

Dont know about you but i have a side i prefer shooting from, i will therefore usually go towards that side if spawned on opposite. I generally prefer to go C on that tier 5 map rather than get ambush torped in A. In low tier maps the bbs dont leave spawn anyway, so moving doesnt hurt when in a ca or dd. Cap control is important but the first team to cap is by no means guaranteed or even favored to win the match. In high tier no one moves for the first 5 min anyway so moving about for those who choose to do so is only about killing the predetermined amount of time before the action starts.

Edited by monpetitloup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,827
[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
2 hours ago, DiddleDum said:

Yeah... some maps I'm more comfortable on a particular side.    Sometimes, I'm the lone spawn on the edge.   Yeah, I'm turning 90 and heading towards the middle (unless the team heads my way - usually they don't).

Sometimes, I'm in the middle, with no cover, and a long range spamming cruiser.   I turn to look for better cover.

 

DiddleDum, I would argue that you won't get any better or more comfortable on the side of a map on which you're less than comfortable if you keep abandoning it.

I personally find this criss-crossing incredibly annoying, because it's so damned time-wasting.  Your team is wasting a crapton of time simply crossing its spawn to get where they're going, rather than just staying on the side they've spawned on.  Mind you, I get it that when you're on one of these high tier 3 cap domination clone maps, most teams will try to focus on 2 of the 3 caps, and any ships behind the cap not chosen should just head to the center cap's area.

Oh, and relating to this, another annoying thing is how at the beginning of a battle when someone asks what the plan is (usually for a 3 cap domination map) that some of the people making suggestions aren't looking at the map to see where the majority of the team is spawned.  They just blurt out AB or BC without a second thought, when the smart play is to pick the pair of caps that are directly in front of the majority of the team and to leave the 3rd cap alone.

Of course, then there's almost always some silly DD who says that he's going to head over to that 3rd cap all by himself.  "I'll just take a peak and run if there's any opposition" is what they always say.  And most of the time, they're among the first to die.  Drives me nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[TF-64]
Members
377 posts
12,844 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Of course, then there's almost always some silly DD who says that he's going to head over to that 3rd cap all by himself.  "I'll just take a peak and run if there's any opposition" is what they always say.  And most of the time, they're among the first to die.  Drives me nuts.

As a representative of those DDs who will go scouting like that, that info of ships over yonder can be quite helpful to the rest of the team. Also when it's a 3 to 2 DD advantage, someone gets a easy/easier cap. But I do try to be escape ready when I'm doing that. Hell, I've scared off a much larger force than myself by being in that cap when the enemy shows up and is to scared to push me. 

But yeah, your right far too much of the time. Part of my many flaws keeping my survival rate pretty bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,827
[SALVO]
Members
17,156 posts
17,832 battles
58 minutes ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

As a representative of those DDs who will go scouting like that, that info of ships over yonder can be quite helpful to the rest of the team. Also when it's a 3 to 2 DD advantage, someone gets a easy/easier cap. But I do try to be escape ready when I'm doing that. Hell, I've scared off a much larger force than myself by being in that cap when the enemy shows up and is to scared to push me. 

But yeah, your right far too much of the time. Part of my many flaws keeping my survival rate pretty bad. 

It is possible to do this kind of solo scouting, but it's incredibly difficult to pull off I think.

Let's say that you head to cap X alone and the enemy team sends multiple ships (including 1 fairly well concealed DD, not a glow in the dark Russian DD).  And let's assume that your concealment is better than the enemy's.  The problem is that the Sit Awareness skill is going to trigger the instant you spot them, and they'll know you're there.  Depending on the specific DD you're in, you may or may not be able to outrun the enemy and get to safety.  And obviously it's worse if the enemy you spotted is a radar ship who can light you up.

This is one of the really bad things about the Sit Awareness "skill".  It's like a unidirectional "radar" that only let's the enemy know that you're around.  And the only ways to turn it off are to get out of detection range of the enemy (perhaps just far enough away that you're outside their concealment range) or to use terrain to block line of sight (which can also give them an idea of where you are roughly, depending on the nature of the terrain between you and the ship you're spotting.  SitAw makes it really difficult to play the solo scout, and may be one of the biggest reasons why solo scouting is so often suicidal.

 

For better or worse, this is one place where having a carrier on the team is advantageous, because a smart team can let the carrier use his planes to do the scouting.  Of course, the presence of a carrier on your team isn't necessarily going to stop the rogue DD from going solo, because they'll always say that they'll just turn around if they spot the enemy.  But like I say above, the very act of spotting the enemy is what makes surviving at all so difficult, because of the SitAw skill.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[TF-64]
Members
377 posts
12,844 battles

Oh I agree with you Crucis. It's the razor's edge of risk vs reward. I can't help but be a risk taker. It is easier to do with few to no radar ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
280 posts
4 hours ago, enderland07 said:

What tiers are you playing at?

Lower tiers things are all sorts of weird.

Ya, high tiers can be weird too. EVERYBODY goes to one side and hides behind the biggest island, while the Reds mop up anyone unlucky enough to get spotted, while taking 2/3 caps as your team camps and hides at the one cap one of your DDs died getting(without support, mind you). If your lucky, you might get on the team that does the mopping, other wise...

That's high tier play.

Edited by Noone_You_Know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
239
[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,321 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

DiddleDum, I would argue that you won't get any better or more comfortable on the side of a map on which you're less than comfortable if you keep abandoning it.

I personally find this criss-crossing incredibly annoying, because it's so damned time-wasting.  Your team is wasting a crapton of time simply crossing its spawn to get where they're going, rather than just staying on the side they've spawned on.  Mind you, I get it that when you're on one of these high tier 3 cap domination clone maps, most teams will try to focus on 2 of the 3 caps, and any ships behind the cap not chosen should just head to the center cap's area.

 

Good points, and I'll work on those areas less comfortable.

And yes, criss-crossing ended terribly earlier.   Spawned at A cap.   Someone piped in and said "B/C and it's a guaranteed win".  "B/C!!!"    Everyone agreed.    I'm in the Missouri.

A cap is taken quickly by reds.    B cap is going red.   C cap is going red.    I'm streaming to a pile of guys sitting back from C.     And it was three minutes before I even fired a round.

The ball at C melted before I got there.   They're already pushing hard from A and B.    Surrounded, and only four of us left.

Hashtag Buttwhuppin.

I parked the ship broadside and ran up as much XP as I could, inviting the citadel - score was 890-20, or something stupid.   Just put me out of my misery.

That was a waste of camo and flags.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×