You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Best build for tier 9 French bb Alsace?

14 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
4,586 battles

Just got this beauty and what to know everyone's opinion about the best build. I was thinking a secondary build like the germans.

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

In my opinion you need the aiming module due to the extremely poor dispersion of the main guns so you can't really go full secondary build.  However even without the module you can still get your secondaries reaching out to almost 10km so from a captain's skill perspective, I made sure to get BFT and AFT.  I am still debating if I want Manual Control Secondaries or not because I am finding it isn't uncommon for me to be having my secondaries engage targets on both sides of the ship.  Not sure if I want to give that up or not.

Members
16,048 posts
14,436 battles

I thoroughly enjoy and love Secondaries Build Alsace.  But the ship is flexible enough to make so many possible, good choices.

Main Battery Build / Survival Hybrid:  Tighten up the main battery dispersion, protect against fires, etc.  Valid choice.

Secondary Build:  Secondaries that compete with German BBs.  VERY FAST firing, most effective against DDs & Cruisers, less raw HE damage against BBs but you keep them lit on fire.

AA Build:  Because Alsace actually can have fabulous AA.

Most BBs cannot have these viable, good builds possible on the same ship.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,442 posts
11,703 battles

Secondary build, no us manual, getting up to 500 hits.

I find main gun accurate enough to forgo that module. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,645 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I thoroughly enjoy and love Secondaries Build Alsace.  But the ship is flexible enough to make so many possible, good choices.

Main Battery Build / Survival Hybrid:  Tighten up the main battery dispersion, protect against fires, etc.  Valid choice.

Secondary Build:  Secondaries that compete with German BBs.  VERY FAST firing, most effective against DDs & Cruisers, less raw HE damage against BBs but you keep them lit on fire.

AA Build:  Because Alsace actually can have fabulous AA.

Most BBs cannot have these viable, good builds possible on the same ship.

This. I'm running secondary build but she is very versatile. 

I use Mbm3 and Aiming Systems 1 mods for my main gun reload and dispersion, but use Adrenaline Rush, BFT, AFT, and Manual Secondaries as captain skills. I'll have 18th point for captain soon...the smart play is likely to take CE for ability to go dark easier,  but IFHE would let my 100mm secondaries deal direct damage to more parts of more ships so I'm pondering that since Alsace is never going to be particularly stealthy anyway and I tend to brawl in her. 

Edited by poeticmotion

[OPG]
Members
3,967 posts
5,666 battles

I run full zombie fire prevention.  French BBs are already super weak to HE, and at high tiers secondary builds are way too situational to be consistently useful.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,442 posts
11,703 battles
5 hours ago, yashma said:

I run full zombie fire prevention.  French BBs are already super weak to HE, and at high tiers secondary builds are way too situational to be consistently useful.  

I have ignored a half health BB behind me and my secondaries killed him.

The ability of those 10km secondaries scare enemies...

• Funny 1

Members
9,958 posts
4 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

They are vicious, I've killed multiple dd's that thought approaching from the rear was a viable option.

1,734 posts
2,781 battles

I built mine as a stealth/AA build BB similar to my Iowa. Been getting really good results

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,442 posts
11,703 battles

Flambass has a couple of videos on her. She is quickly becoming his favorite.

I am debating on putting accuracy mod on her or stay with secondaries.

[OPG]
Members
3,967 posts
5,666 battles
3 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

What ever floats your boat I suppose.....

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,442 posts
11,703 battles
10 hours ago, yashma said:

What ever floats your boat I suppose.....

I had a full health BB in front of me...

I killed both.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,798 posts
10,299 battles

Mine has CE, FP, VGL, SI, AR, EM and PT - http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000100010000001010100000119

I think that CE is mandatory on pretty much every ship in the game, and FP on every battleship. I would usually do a 3x4 build with AFT, but the ship really wants EM and AR which you can't do, so I add in VGL too - that's a hold over from the blind (no spotter, no hydro) Richelieu and planned for the similar Republique. If I were speccing specifically I'd go with BoS on Alsace rather than Vigilance.

PT vs PM is quite a choice as the information provided is great, but your guns do get knocked out with some regularity.

I really don't think AFT is worth it, the secondary battery is weak - all secondaries are - and carriers are low in abundance, even if you do see one a 20% range change only makes a bit of difference, you'll wipe a Ranger but get trashed by a Midway either way.

It could be that Alsace encourages more build diversity, but I honestly think it's more that she has many serious shortcomings.

[OPG]
Members
3,967 posts
5,666 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I had a full health BB in front of me...

I killed both.

And like I said, they can be situationally strong, but I find at high tiers fire prevention builds are consistently more useful.  You can run secondary builds for the fun factor, but I still maintain it's a worse build for a competitive "best of the best" mindset.