You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kombat_W0MBAT

It Ain't Over Till It's Over

12 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles

This is a general admonition to never give up on a game. 

During the last two days I've witnessed horrific throws from both perspectives. In one match, our team was up 9 ships vs 4 ships with 2 out of 3 caps. Our team got careless and greedy and started making poor decisions simply to farm damage and kills. We lost. 

Conversely, this morning I had a game where defeat was assured. Down 2 caps and and outnumbered 2:1, I had essentially given up on the game. However, I continued on auto-pilot doing what DDs are supposed to do.. spot, cap, and kill other DDs. Remarkably, the other 3 ships on the team likewise did their job and won the game. 

It's those kind of comebacks that make this game immensely fun, and it's those kind of throws that result in damaged keyboards and monitors.

In the famous words of Tim Allen...

kRPW1ib.jpg

And don't be these guys...

Spoiler

q200EF1.jpg

Yes, I'm living in the past so I can drown my sorrow and grief from SB52. :Smile_sad:

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT
  • Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
890 posts
7,227 battles
12 minutes ago, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

This is a general admonition to never give up on a game. 

During the last two days I've witnessed horrific throws from both perspectives. In one match, our team was up 9 ships vs 4 ships with 2 out of 3 caps. Our team got careless and greedy and started making poor decisions simply to farm damage and kills. We lost. 

Conversely, this morning I had a game where defeat was assured. Down 2 caps and and outnumbered 2:1, I had essentially given up on the game. However, I continued on auto-pilot doing what DDs are supposed to do.. spot, cap, and kill other DDs. Remarkably, the other 3 ships on the team likewise did their job and won the game. 

It's those kind of comebacks that make this game immensely fun, and it's those kind of throws that result in damaged keyboards and monitors.

In the famous words of Tim Allen...

kRPW1ib.jpg

And don't be these guys...

Hide contents

q200EF1.jpg

Yes, I'm living in the past so I can drown my sorrow and grief from SB52. :Smile_sad:

Indeed!   Love those comebacks!

Except for that super bowl example - did not like that comeback.       It was the last football game I watched.

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,411 battles
Just now, DiddleDum said:

Indeed!   Love those comebacks!

Except for that super bowl example - did not like that comeback.       It was the last football game I watched.

Confirming Wombat is the Tom Brady of WoWS

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,002 posts
9,026 battles

Agreed. Last I was in a game where we almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Luckily I was having a really good game in My Bama and our Henri IV was having and exceptional game. It could have gone either way at the end because we started to blow our lead.

Our Benson quit after he team killed our Minotaur - the guy literally stop his engines and left the keyboard in the cap. I understand the guy being sick, but he was full health and could have still raised hell with their remaining BBs. Instead he let himself become free points on the counter and xp for one of their BBs.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,624 posts
9,027 battles

yogiberra1.jpg

Possibly the greatest baseball mind in history.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Close games are the best games,real nail bitters. The taste of victory is sweet. The agony of defeat is a reminder of how life goes on. I savour both .

[RMRGD]
Members
183 posts
16,893 battles

I find its pretty rare to see people throw a game or give up early.  For sure it happens but its rather rare.  What I do see is that people in the end or not as skilled as others even if they have an advantage.   I would say every 3-4 games I type  "random game with random skilled players.   Please be respectful and have fun"    As these players continue to play they will build the skills.  

To that end...  I totally agree with everyones post this is why I play Warships.   Those close games are awesome.   Knife fights, amazing dodges, RNG saves, keeps the heart pumping fast.   Love it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,497 battles

Lots of things happen to make crazy comebacks possible.  IMO the biggest cause are the guys of the apparently winning side throwing caution to the wind so they can get that extra damage, kill before the match ends.  The great decision making guys were doing to get to that point are thrown out the window.

"We're about to win anyways so it doesn't matter if I die now.  I'll get these torps off / this full broadside salvo off."

The Cruiser that was sailing evasively now is sailing straight and dumb, showing broadside to fire all guns before he dies.  You may even find some of those Cruisers try to turn to show broadside and launch torps, only to get deleted.  "I have to get some damage in before it's over."  And the torps STILL miss.

The Battleship throws caution into the wind and risks showing broadside or simply tries to plow into the reds.  "I have to get some damage in before it's over."

The Destroyer that never risked a stupid YOLO Torpedo Run now does so.  Not only that, but gets spotted to try to land 3km torps and gets rekt in the process.  "I have to get some damage in before it's over."  And all the torps miss anyways.

They die.

Then another guy dies.

And another.

And another.

Next thing you now it's a close game again and the other team, who has smartly played to stay alive now has the window to win.

Another great cause is the guys in their rush to get in that last bit of damage, kills, are sailing to the grouped up reds piecemeal and dying piecemeal.  You may have had a 9-3 ship advantage but the idiots are sailing into the last 3 reds 1 at a time and getting killed as they get into combat range.  Congrats!  Now it's 3-3!

There are even guys that would ignore a cap that is safe to take.  Taking the cap would ensure, no matter what possible outcome, their team would win.  But no, they have to go Full Speed to the reds from 20km away and try to get some hits in.  But everyone gets rekt, 1-2 guys left, and now you no longer have the caps, point counter, time in your favor.  MORONS!

Congrats to the idiots who just threw the once obvious win away.  The guys were once doing what it took to get into the position to win, but failed to take action and SECURE THE WIN.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
597 posts
21,221 battles
31 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

yogiberra1.jpg

Possibly the greatest baseball mind in history.

Like Dejas vu all over again.

• Cool 1

[70]
Members
973 posts
3,846 battles

I also recovered from a 8v4 recently through massive teamwork.

Cheers to you, mate!