You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Alsace - What's so good about it?

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,871 posts
5,255 battles

I've seen a couple threads mention Alsace as being the best tier 9 BB now.  That's a bold claim.  What makes people feel that way about it?

[HINON]
Supertester
19,213 posts
12,740 battles

Fast, agile, flexible, decent armor, decent AA, decent guns and 12 of them. It's just a good overall package without significant weaknesses.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,578 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Fast, agile, flexible, decent armor, decent AA, decent guns and 12 of them. It's just a good overall package without significant weaknesses.

:Smile_great:

Members
13 posts
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Only thing that might make it even better is if you could mount a spotting aircraft instead of the catapult fighter.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,006 posts
9,029 battles

Better yet, she does have weaknesses (guns inability to overmatch) so she’s not some cheap OP ship like some of the other recent line releases. She also requires a different play style which is a nice breathe of fresh air.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,213 posts
12,740 battles
12 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

Better yet, she does have weaknesses (guns inability to overmatch)

Only a problem against select cruisers though.

Members
1,564 posts
9,984 battles

Well, after playing Richelieu, Alsace seems OP lol. 

Richelieu is a big fat meh!  especially in a tier 10 match (tier 8s get t10 matches more often than not these days) where it slings pebbles at tier 10 goliath battleships.

Alsace on the other hand is quite nimble for a BB and I did well with it on the test server. 

Members
707 posts

only just got the Alsace last night, so its still on its stock hull etc etc rather than the "B" hull etc etc, but it feels far from agile and its ~920m turning radius feels a lot bigger than other ships with ~920m turning radius at tier IX, though that may be because she loses less speed in turns, but the rest of the package feels good, though the stock A-Hull AA feels a bit weak vs. tier X aircraft even in co-op.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,809 posts
10,327 battles

Every moment you're in an Alsace you should just be thankful you're not in an Izumo or a Friederich der Rubbish.

On that basis alone she's pretty solid.

In terms of enjoyment, I am a bit mixed on her. My main downers at the moment are -

• Uptier/MM makes too great a difference. My last game had 5 red cruisers (which is a lot by T9 standards) of the 5, there was a Roon, Hindenburg and 2x Des Moines. Despite being only 'a few' cruisers which can autobounce you, that game it was 80%. Although it's only a few classes, Hindenburg and DM are first and second for T10 cruiser games in the last 2 weeks, Baltimore and Roon are first and third at T9. Sure MM makes a difference to all ships, but to some more than others
  • The guns overpen broadside anything too much, while being subject to autobounce bow on
  • The dispersion. Overall having 50% more barrels with worse dispersion may work out as 'balanced' but the guns are hugely unreliable and good hits seem to be too much determined by RNG rather than aiming, especially given the propensity to overpen.
  • The secondaries exist to look pretty and give me an opportunity to laugh about how many hits for 0 damage I can do (so far, max 102).