You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crzyhawk

le sigh

5 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

Ever have those moments when you just let all the wind from your own sails?

I didn't think the Aigle torp missions were active yet, and someone commented in game that they were trying to knock them out.  Next game I hop straight into my Gremyaschy (figured since there were DDs galore, better guns than my Kami R might be desirable).  I play to win rather than for the mission, an in the course of that, I managed to spring a pretty good torp ambush on a Colorado, and put a pair of fish  into him.  The game's well in hand, so, I rush a Bretagne.  Boom.  Got him with three fish for a total of five.  Now I don't really play DD much, and when I do, I mostly gunboat around in them; 5 torp hits is a rare result for me and I was feeling pretty darned proud of myself.  First time go, sweet.

We win the game.  No credit.  What the heck?  I don't get DD games like that too often, so I got agitated pretty quick.  Then I started to wonder...maybe that Gneisenau that I dev struck (6 torp hits at close range) with my Nachi 4 games ago...

Yep, sure enough.  I'd already gotten credit for that one, accidentally, with a cruiser.  On a mid game center push up two brothers no less.  I should really pay better attention to these things, I'd have logged a game early to start getting ready for work.

[SALVO]
Members
17,043 posts
17,674 battles
27 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Ever have those moments when you just let all the wind from your own sails?

I didn't think the Aigle torp missions were active yet, and someone commented in game that they were trying to knock them out.  Next game I hop straight into my Gremyaschy (figured since there were DDs galore, better guns than my Kami R might be desirable).  I play to win rather than for the mission, an in the course of that, I managed to spring a pretty good torp ambush on a Colorado, and put a pair of fish  into him.  The game's well in hand, so, I rush a Bretagne.  Boom.  Got him with three fish for a total of five.  Now I don't really play DD much, and when I do, I mostly gunboat around in them; 5 torp hits is a rare result for me and I was feeling pretty darned proud of myself.  First time go, sweet.

We win the game.  No credit.  What the heck?  I don't get DD games like that too often, so I got agitated pretty quick.  Then I started to wonder...maybe that Gneisenau that I dev struck (6 torp hits at close range) with my Nachi 4 games ago...

Yep, sure enough.  I'd already gotten credit for that one, accidentally, with a cruiser.  On a mid game center push up two brothers no less.  I should really pay better attention to these things, I'd have logged a game early to start getting ready for work.

Honestly, crazy, it's a good thing to always check out what missions are active when you log into the game and every so often.  I will say that perhaps you played your Gremmy before the Aigle mission had been activated.  For some reason, new missions don't activate immediately after the morning server reboot.  They seem to get started at around 7am ET, IIRC. (Or maybe it's 6am.  I don't remember, and I'm rarely up at that hour to check it out.)

As for playing to the mission vs playing to win, I find that I can do both.  It's only a matter of picking the right ship for the mission.  For a torp mission, I have plenty of DD options to choose from.  It'll just be a matter of playing enough torp DD battles to get the job done.  If it was a ribbon based mission, I'd probably run a lot of Russian or Russian style gunboat DDs.  And so on.  Sort of like picking the right tool for the job, picking the right ship for the mission makes it a lot easier to complete a mission while playing to win, since you don't have to do anything differently than you'd normally do in that ship.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,173 posts
11,691 battles

I checked, but I thought it didn't activate until this afternoon.  I didn't get the credit in the Gremy because I'd already completed it in the Nachi lol.  My situational awareness was very much lacking.

[TDG]
Members
1,171 posts
5,977 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, crazy, it's a good thing to always check out what missions are active when you log into the game and every so often.  I will say that perhaps you played your Gremmy before the Aigle mission had been activated.  For some reason, new missions don't activate immediately after the morning server reboot.  They seem to get started at around 7am ET, IIRC. (Or maybe it's 6am.  I don't remember, and I'm rarely up at that hour to check it out.)

As for playing to the mission vs playing to win, I find that I can do both.  It's only a matter of picking the right ship for the mission.  For a torp mission, I have plenty of DD options to choose from.  It'll just be a matter of playing enough torp DD battles to get the job done.  If it was a ribbon based mission, I'd probably run a lot of Russian or Russian style gunboat DDs.  And so on.  Sort of like picking the right tool for the job, picking the right ship for the mission makes it a lot easier to complete a mission while playing to win, since you don't have to do anything differently than you'd normally do in that ship.

I played through the swap at 6:20 AM ET recently.

It seems to check at the completion of the battle.  I had a personal mission that reset each day.  It wasn't showing when I was in part before the battle, but I got credit at the end of the battle.

This might be part of why they do the change at :20 instead of the top of the hour.