You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wyngs_2015

How the game is scored

4 comments in this topic

Members
1,023 posts
3,549 battles

Just watched a vid from Flamu about this subject, I will post a link at the end for anybody who wants to watch it. Plz dont flame me as being a fan boy or whatever, I just happen to agree with much of what he says in it. I love this game in no small part because of the strategy component and tactics as much as destruction and mayhem. I think it strikes just the right balance between the two.The thing is, the game mostly rewards only one side of it in term of positive reinforcement. 

I will use a game I had in Tashkent as an example. (The new version of Tash) One of my favorite tactics in RU DD's in some circumstances is to flank the main group of BB's, and just annoy the living crap out of them. Annoy them so much that they pay attention to me, and start shooting at me. What happens when they are shooting at me? They arent shooting at my team, particularly my cruisers. And they arent hitting me either, at least not much. I was doing this in this particular game, doing quite well. It was quite a while back, and I dont remember if it was a win or loss, but I do remember being called out for not doing my job, whatever that was supposed to mean. At the end of the battle, I had tanked a hilarious amount of potential damage.....it was in the 2 million area.......in a DD that didnt even have concealment and is spotted from the Moon-by DD standards. I also had some pretty decent damage dealt, I dont remember the particulars. The things is that during the battle, I had no idea, my team had no idea and one was mad at me for doing this. In my mind, I was just playing my ship to its strengths while trying to avoid its weaknesses.

Anyway, I think he had some pretty darn good ideas about rewards. I think it would be great to implement some of them. Like say, get a reward for capping in a BB for example. Might help to relieve some of the camping that goes on. Stuff like that. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7IqZuk6s8

Edited by Wyngs_2015

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles

I don't have a chance to watch his video  but I do know this you do get Rewards for capping in a battleship just got to do it

Maybe if your XP was based on shots fired and connected based on how close you are to the center of a  cap might be a fun XP value to bring us all a Little Closer

Edited by silverdahc

Members
242 posts
646 battles
7 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I don't have a chance to watch his video  but I do know this you do get Rewards for capping in a battleship just got to do it

Maybe if your XP was based on shots fired and connected based on how close you are to the center of a  cap might be a fun XP value to bring us all a Little Closer

Yeah how to reward objective-based play has been something I've wondered about for a little while, I think something in this vein might be the best way to go about it. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
4 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

Yeah how to reward objective-based play has been something I've wondered about for a little while, I think something in this vein might be the best way to go about it. 

Argos, there's a problem with this statement.  Sinking enemy ships *is* an objective in each battle, whether it's standard, domination, or epicenter battle mode.  Of course, capping is an alternative objective.

Some people will argue that in Domination mode, capping is the primary objective, but the problem with that is that I don't think that casual player think that way.  There's a certain portion of the player who have the attitude that they're only playing to do damage and sink ships (and often, winning be damned).  And I doubt that changing how XP  is rewarded is going to matter a hill of beans to such players.  All you'd be doing is preaching to the converted, so to speak.