You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Psycodiver

Taking a break, I just can do this game right now

23 comments in this topic

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,559 posts
3,539 battles

I've been playing this game since it went OBT, I took a couple months break a year or so ago and I'm taking one again but for different reasons. Last time was because I was changing careers this time is because I can't stand the current player base.

Tonight I watched battleships sailing broadside firing HE, cruisers firing AP while sitting stationary, DDs sailing right into the middle of the map guns blazing and I just can't help but realize this game has gotten to me. I dunno if it's true or rose colored glasses looking back in time but players used to be better than this. I watched 4 ships sit behind the island in A cap in Neighbors when there was only 1 enemy ship over there. I watched 3 separate TKs in 3 matches. Standard battle has become my most hated mode because the team will derp train to one side and when I tell them to cover the flanks I get cursed at while the enemy caps our base, heck I won a match in my Colorado by capping this way. 

Either way I need time off of this game, it's always been about me just having fun and this isn't fun. I still have a backlog of ship reviews and I'll probably post them up since most of them are outlined at the very least if not fully written. Or I may unplug my computer completely, I have a engine that needs to be finished before the season starts (although a new heater for my garage would help tons because it's freaking cold out there) and a lawn mower that needs mending before the grass started growing. 

• Cool 2

Members
411 posts

Divisioning with competent players usually solves the losing-faith part, but the burnout can be real.

Ive taken time off before and it’s refreshing to come back after spending time away from it. Goos luck with your errands!

[RLGN]
Members
8,278 posts
17,318 battles

Take it easy then.

For me, doing so usually means playing my carriers in co-op, because most of the time, even if my team really derps, I have the measure of the bots, and know I can win. (Like you said; even as easy as co-op can be; team almost all ran to the NW corner on Standard mode New Dawn and got shot up like ducks in a barrel; I went east and was one of just 2-3 people actually trying to defend the cap. 123k game, mostly flooding and fires.)

Members
1,344 posts
1,343 battles

A break is always a good thing, I'm in theory; am on one as well.... kek.

See you soon! 

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,275 posts
7,882 battles

Spend some time with your family, go out with friends, spend a week playing more casual games and when you come back you'll be good as new

Members
3,564 posts
6,893 battles

You have to take the long view in random, because that's what "random" means.

Imagine you are in a RL naval campaign... all your best comrades have been killed and sunk, taking wads of reds with them, but now HQ is sending you these greenback rubes to fight alongside you. You do the best you can right? Losing streaks come and go, in the long view they even out to where you are at. I am a 50-51% for now but I fight hard and play hard and can turn in some brilliant battles. You do the best you can nothing else matters.

Members
3,420 posts
8,276 battles

I do see more frequent and longer lasting patches of 13-alarm sh!t-shows lately.  As I see it, I don't understand why there's so much generally put into obsessing and whining about things like whether this or that ship is good, bad, broken or whatever, too much radar, this, that, etc. The thing I see that's vastly more concerning and off-putting is how bad the player base is and that it seems to be in continuing state of retrograde.  

Edited by lemekillmister

[PVE]
Members
5,636 posts
18,228 battles

It is a game, I never pay attention to how others are playing it and really don't care. I definitely don't let it bother me. If playing with us potatoes is such a drudgery, I agree with Konigstiger, division up with more competent players to minimize the impact of the lessor players on your team. It is hardly rocket science.

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,047 posts
10,483 battles
1 hour ago, KonigstigerVII said:

Divisioning with competent players usually solves the losing-faith part, but the burnout can be real.

Ive taken time off before and it’s refreshing to come back after spending time away from it. Goos luck with your errands!

Hey @Psycodiver -hate to see a fellow wotlabber in distress, but what you are going through right now is one of the best reasons to get on a discord and div up with like skilled people.  I know you were getting spammed with a lot of random clan invites, but just sitting in a decent discord and playing with a few guys without joining a clan is usually never a problem, especially as well as you play.  Look forward to seeing you when you get back.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,459 posts
11,777 battles

Playing tier 5 to 7 is rough.

With all the new steam players...

Maybe you should try tiers 8 to 10.

• Funny 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Breaks can be relaxing Take one and come back refreshed. Don't stay away too long and lose your edge.

Members
191 posts
25 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Maybe you should try tiers 8 to 10.

I'd say it currently worse there as of late.
Generally I'm too stubborn to "quit while i'm ahead", as i want to play the game and not worry about stats, but more often then not it just tanks it even worse.
At this rate, I'll be lucky if i am not at 40%WR by the weekend. Streaks my [edited]...its 4 back and 1 up. When i am consistently one of the last 3 to die on the team, there's not much i can do.

Today's battles:

myleastxpedbotedoesbetter.png.b5fdf5012f4eafb98da7fc1e53f6137c.png

I've had the Hindy for 2 days. The last 2 defeats on the Z, were completely winnable. Last game, we had 2 caps, all the reds were in the far cap (C).
And every BB / CA went from going through B to A (our caps), instead of taking up positions to hold the caps we had. Other team just pushed through us, eventually the 3 other DD's and myself could no longer hold the push of reds.
The last few days, its always been where no one will assist and fire on targets called. I'm not calling the dam things for my health (well yea i am, shrug...) but i'm calling DD's and Radar ships, its freaking common sense to kill those as priority. Not a shot fired to any of them outside the 4 of us DD's trying to hold what we have. It's down right pathetic. I mean how do you loose that...it was in the bag. Happens so often now i've lost count.

At any rate, to OP, I can completely get needing a break, seeing some of this stuff is just beyond frustrating. Everyone makes their share of mistakes but when the whole team does it over and over and over...it gets old.
So see ya when ya get back, may the seas be more calm and less storm when you return.

Members
567 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, Psycodiver said:

Tonight I watched battleships sailing broadside firing HE, cruisers firing AP while sitting stationary, DDs sailing right into the middle of the map guns blazing and I just can't help but realize this game has gotten to me. I dunno if it's true or rose colored glasses looking back in time but players used to be better than this. I watched 4 ships sit behind the island in A cap in Neighbors when there was only 1 enemy ship over there. I watched 3 separate TKs in 3 matches. Standard battle has become my most hated mode because the team will derp train to one side and when I tell them to cover the flanks I get cursed at while the enemy caps our base, heck I won a match in my Colorado by capping this way.

The more WG or any game company caters to the lowest common denominator players, the more the intelligent players move on to more challenging environments. Think about the face-to-face parallel. Would you find enjoyment playing tic tac toe with a bunch of three year olds or a euro board game with a bunch of folks your age that requires strategy? 

Good for WG to provide a home for a diverse player base, but bad on them for not providing the content for them to play in separate sandboxes. Add the natural attraction anonymous gaming provides for folks with a wide array of cognitive and social disabilities and you have a doubling effect of highly skilled players leaving and the lower skilled and lower quality players staying. 

And I hear ya about the garage. Been building a luxury vanity mirror with Hollywood style bulbs, dimmer, outlet and USB ports so the wife can charge her cell and plug in a curling iron or whatever. Just started gluing the frame and the Vegas nights are still a bit too cold so got a space heater going just to make sure the glue sets properly. Need a reason every once in awhile to play with the table saw and dowling jig. These online video game addicted kids and even young adults deep into their twenties these days have no idea how to build anything real, just digital blocks. It's pretty disturbing. Who wants to play games with these people? There's no real enriching conversation or any way to identify with these empty vessels. 

Not saying they don't have talents or hobbies outside the game but their overall understanding of how the world works or how to be successful in it is nonexistent. They'll swear otherwise but you just have to look at their quality of life to see they have no sense of reality. What kind of life can someone have who plays a game for 4-6 hours straight and if the server goes down or they get bored, they don't move on to taking care of real world responsibilities, they instead load up the next game on their current fun value list? That behavior day in and day out is played out by a massive number of players. 

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
2 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

Either way I need time off of this game, it's always been about me just having fun and this isn't fun. I still have a backlog of ship reviews and I'll probably post them up since most of them are outlined at the very least if not fully written. Or I may unplug my computer completely, I have a engine that needs to be finished before the season starts (although a new heater for my garage would help tons because it's freaking cold out there) and a lawn mower that needs mending before the grass started growing.

Hey man, I totally feel your pain.  Remember right before Xmas when it seemed things were somewhat normal and you were able to at least string some wins together in a row and teams seemed to be on the same page?  I do. Now it just seems as that is all but a forgotten memory and at all tiers whether mid or tier ten.  You get disheartened in the fact that no matter how hard you try you come to the conclusion that no matter your efforts or how much you try to give it your all, your efforts mean little or nothing at all.  I find myself wanting to take a break myself, the only thing that keeps me going is the friends i play with in my clan, but that is even wearing thin.  All I can say is I hope you come back, we need all the experienced players to continue to play because otherwise its a nightmare for us all.

Members
14 posts
136 battles

Its not just how the team performs but the individual player himself. if your new to something practice and get good at it and ask for advice if needed. it has never changed about this game or even WOT there is no such thing as teamwork unless you are in a squad with your own clanmates/buddies. but i'm newish to this game haven't touched WOT in ages because of how bad it is playerbase wise. But hey a break is needed when your frustrated it only makes your performance worse if you keep playing while you have lost all sanity and faith. 

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I will say that I'm seeing a lot more "head scratchers" than I am used to. 4 ships that refuse to push into 1(example), just dumb dumb not thinking stuff. Not game breaking stuff on it's own, but if the same thing happens enough times it'll spell disaster for the team. Radar equipped ships far past the reach of their radar, lots of circle sailing from WAY back. Had BBs that couldn't get their own spots on the OPFOR Battleships at the 10-12 minute mark yesterday in a few games (so spotting didn't matter cause they were so far back dispersion only had them hitting 1-2 shells MAX). Stuff like that shouldn't be happening if people are playing even semi offensively. 

I noticed yesterday that now even T6 and 7 BB have full on accepted the sit back and snipe all game play style and it's hard to play the game when 1/2 of each team wants to be that passive. It just turns into DD trying to cap, BB sitting far back missing all their shots while the DDs get whittled down  trying to actually play the game with lucky flyers and AP pens from max range shotguns (honestly, after 15 minutes of dart throwing you're going to hit a few shells and who only takes a few to kill?). It's weird and I wish it were different.

I downright REFUSE to play much above T7 outside a div, it's just throwing credits away at this point for a solo player with this amount of -Random Teamwork- out there.

Edited by Canadatron

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,559 posts
3,539 battles

Thanks everyone, it's not all about the losses but ever since the January Duke of York mission added when I grinded 300,000 FXP in January to buy the Nelson I've been just burned out. I'm not playing at my level I'm used to and I'm forcing myself to play. That when everything else I mentioned already added in it just wipes me out. Last night it just came together.

That said after sleeping on it I unplugged my computer this morning and put it away. It's just not this game but lately I spend every bit of free time on my computer and I find reasons to walk away from my family to watch YouTube or something. I'll plug it in once I finish the engine and get everything tuned then also get this stupid lawn mower running (13 safety switches mounted in series so if one fails you have to test every switch, might just rewire and take the switches out)

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
6 hours ago, xovian said:

And every BB / CA went from going through B to A (our caps), instead of taking up positions to hold the caps we had. Other team just pushed through us, eventually the 3 other DD's and myself could no longer hold the push of reds.

This is the experience I'm talking about. Games in good shape then lost because our BB and Cruisers could not demonstrate they understand the importance of positioning and ability to predict ship movement. I know that's only "DD  STUFF!" but if our big ships cannot understand that sitting in the middle of the open ocean is bad I don't know what to say. It's people that have gotten about 4 tiers past their abilities in game.

Even had some dipstick gripe about "of course I get magazined!" while sitting broadside in DeGreasy. He was blaming a Detonation. I told him he derped, there was no detonation and that he got citadel dev struck sitting like an idiot showing his belly to the BBs. Guys that do this crap get killed in my line of work, makes me safer though cause they aren't around to endanger me.

Edited by Canadatron

Members
242 posts
655 battles
7 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

nothing else matters

Image result for metallica meme

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
7 hours ago, lemekillmister said:

I do see more frequent and longer lasting patches of 13-alarm sh!t-shows lately.  The way I see is I don't understand why there's so much generally put into obsessing and whining about things like whether this or that ship is good, bad, broken or whatever, too much radar, this, that, etc. The thing I see that's vastly more concerning and off-putting is how bad the player base is and that it seems to be in continuing state of retrograde.  

Then who is conning the ships in all those ROFL Stomp games? There is only one player base. Everyone actually sees themselves as a Green on the mni-map. There is not a Green player base full of scrubs, and a Red player base full of unicum, team oriented players. No

The problem is that the OP plays all his games in Tiers where most of the casuals hang out, and he is not strong enough to influence a match. A bad losing streak seems to cause some people to seek out a "cause" that does not include their own play.

OP, you probably have more than enough Free XP, and Silver saved up to move up to a fully researched Tier VIII. Many people that prefer more casual games complain about the "Meta" at Tiers VIII-X, because it is slower, more deliberate. That is because it more structured for the most part. There is a higher proportion of players at  Tiers VIII-X that know how to play the game to win. The first team to make an egregious mistake is put at a real disadvantage. Being a "role player" in a high tier game can be a solid contribution to a win. 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,559 posts
3,539 battles
1 hour ago, Skarp_AGW said:

Then who is conning the ships in all those ROFL Stomp games? There is only one player base. Everyone actually sees themselves as a Green on the mni-map. There is not a Green player base full of scrubs, and a Red player base full of unicum, team oriented players. No

The problem is that the OP plays all his games in Tiers where most of the casuals hang out, and he is not strong enough to influence a match. A bad losing streak seems to cause some people to seek out a "cause" that does not include their own play.

OP, you probably have more than enough Free XP, and Silver saved up to move up to a fully researched Tier VIII. Many people that prefer more casual games complain about the "Meta" at Tiers VIII-X, because it is slower, more deliberate. That is because it more structured for the most part. There is a higher proportion of players at  Tiers VIII-X that know how to play the game to win. The first team to make an egregious mistake is put at a real disadvantage. Being a "role player" in a high tier game can be a solid contribution to a win. 

I have 4 Tier 8s and a Iowa, it's not fun for me, the games are so static that I never saw the enjoyment of it and I do pretty good in those ships but I hardly enjoy it because it's passive play until 1 team screws up to much and then the domino effect starts.

I tried operations which were fun at first, I tried grinding new lines which where ok but same old.

Members
9,978 posts
11 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

I've been playing this game since it went OBT, I took a couple months break a year or so ago and I'm taking one again but for different reasons. Last time was because I was changing careers this time is because I can't stand the current player base.

This is all about turn over.....:Smile_amazed:

WG continues to fail at retaining players, has already started a new ad campaign because they can see it's happening, yet seemingly don't know how to address the issue.

The game is unfriendly to the average player that plays, and if you can't retain players, they'll never learn anything, and you get results like this....

Spoiler

x1NJiK0.png