You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

It's like I am cursed

15 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles

I don't know if the MM is fixed or not. But for the past 3 months, my WR has been absolutely plummeting, with no other noteworthy dropoff in stats. Kills, damage, survival percentage, experience, etc., have all stayed virtually the same. About four months ago, I was bumping right up around 59% solo WR. Now, I have tanked down to 56.5% (or so) and wouldn't be surprised to drop to 55% shortly.

EssE8lP.png

8NcTi7p.png

I cannot account for these changes - I don't feel like I am playing differently; and I don't feel like I am having less of an impact on individual matches (substantial, but not carry-level). Like, just 5 minutes ago, I did this in a Kii:

wWvnVmY.jpg

nUtTldg.jpg

Obviously, that's not stellar, but it's a so-so tier 8 battleship in a tier 10 game. And it's felt like majority have been like that - I contribute, and virtually nobody else does anything. I mean, for Christ's sake, LOOK AT THAT LEXINGTON'S SCORE. And it's not like he just sat there AFK - he participated, he just accomplished nothing. 

And after more than 90 days of this nonsense - of me performing about where I was, and the supporting cast not - I'm starting to think that 'the powers that be' have marked me for obscurity; for some kind of a statistical correction. What other conclusions are there to draw?  

Edited by Battlecruiser_Kongo

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

when WG sticks me in the "you need to play with the shitters" pool of mm, I go down and club seals.  play your tier 3's and 4's. you'll at least be able to stop the bleeding.  

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,391 battles

I can relate.  It goes in waves for me.  My problem is I tend to remember the bad times more than the good ones.  

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,442 battles

If I'm having tough luck, I try to switch to something that I can exert more control over a match with (usually a DD).  Outside of that, maybe look for some bros to play with, but the past week or so has been truly spectacular, so don't take it *too* hard.  Also at a glance, your survival rate is very low which tells me you are probably being a bit overaggressive or positioning poorly and not reading the flow of the battle when it's time to pull back.  Your numbers are really solid for the amount of time that you're alive, but if you are able to stay alive and in the game longer, you might be able to swing some of those losses to wins.

Edited by Deviathan

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,436 battles

I feel your pain. I've had a few good nights but overall I've slid also. I couldn't shoot myself right now. Seems like my shots are bracketing real well without hits.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles

Your average tier has increased proportionally to your W/R decrease.   

You are playing tiers that are too difficult for your skill level to maintain the win rate that you had in a lower tier level.   There are 4 primary causes for this:

1. High tiers are seen as a sort of end game for people, and so new players often rush to tier 10 as fast as their xp can carry them.  So you get highly inexperienced people with stock ships, no camo, improper low skilled captains, playing in these tiers, often to a larger degree than in the mid tiers.   These folks have as much of a chance to populate your team as the enemy team, and if imbalanced against you, then you wont do well unless you yourself are good enough to carry fro both your weight and theirs.
  2. High tiers is also the most common home for many unicums.  Thus if not playing a complete noobie then often you are playing against someone with several times the number of games you have, often as many games in high tier as you have games total.  Your experience and skill is unlikely to carry against them, and thus if MM doesn't grant you an equally skilled teammate, you are going to lose.
  3. Moving up your average tier often involves an increase in the "zone of pain" (ie tier 8) where you are bottom tiered more than 50% of the time, and facing the largest disparity of ship capabilities in the game.  While it is certainly possible to perform well and even carry as bottom tier it is disproportionately more difficult (meaning moderate skill carries less distance in this circumstance).  It is also far more difficult to outplay another skilled opponent who is higher tier than yourself.
  4. The game mechanics of the higher tiers punish mistakes more harshly which exasperates 1, 2 and 3 above, and also means that your skill in mid tiers is reduced by several factors for each mistake you make that you could get away with elsewhere.

I recommend going back down a tier or two and only moving up after you have tested the waters of a higher tier and been able to maintain your W/R.

Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
6 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Your average tier has increased proportionally to your W/R decrease.   

You are playing tiers that are too difficult for your skill level to maintain the win rate that you had in a lower tier level.   There are 3 primary causes for this:

1. High tiers are seen as a sort of end game for people, and so new players often rush to tier 10 as fast as their xp can carry them.  So you get highly inexperienced people with stock ships, no camo, improper low skilled captains, playing in these tiers, often to a larger degree than in the mid tiers.   These folks have as much of a chance to populate your team as the enemy team, and if imbalanced against you, then you wont do well unless you yourself are good enough to carry fro both your weight and theirs.
  2. High tiers is also the most common home for many unicums.  Thus if not playing a complete noobie then often you are playing against someone with several times the number of games you have, often as many games in high tier as you have games total.  Your experience and skill is unlikely to carry against them, and thus if MM doesn't grant you an equally skilled teammate, you are going to lose.
  3. The game mechanics of the higher tiers punish mistakes more harshly which exasperates 1 and 2 above, and also means that your skill in mid tiers is reduced by several factors for each mistake you make that you could get away with elsewhere.

I recommend going back down a tier or two and only moving up after you have tested the waters of a higher tier and been able to maintain your W/R.

I think you are focusing way, WAY too much on the last 8 days. Look at All, 363, and 97 - the average tier is 6.6, 6.7, and 6.7 respectively.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles
1 minute ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I think you are focusing way, WAY too much on the last 8 days. Look at All, 363, and 97 - the average tier is 6.6, 6.7, and 6.7 respectively.

I did, as you specifically stated the past 3 months.   Over a thousand games and your increase is from ~6.5 to 6.6 with an average of 6.7.   This indicates that either you played nearly exclusively tier 7 the past 3 months, or more likely given your example screenshots, that you played far more tier 8 as a proportion of total games than you did in the previous 2000 games.   

That is the pain point, most likely.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,066 posts
9,406 battles

Win rate is one the least controllable stats.  Even if you are a superior players your effect on the game is slight, you need some good players with you.  In Tanks a superior player seemed to have more effect on the game, in WoWS probably only a superior CV player, if paired against a a average CV player can really help their team dominate.  Anyone who worries too much about win rates needs to relax.  Case in point. a few days ago I was 2-12 on the day, would say I played a bit below average for me, so I really wasn't helping my team.  Last night I was a bit above average and was like 8-0, again maybe only two games did I feel I was really dominating, three kills or better, lots of damage.  I like to think of WoWs as a one v one game in DDs, win your match at the cap, survive and maybe just maybe you will have a good game, DD advantage.  In CAs its not a duel its helping kill the enemy DDs, other CAs then harass BBs in that order.  In BBs its delete CAs, harass DDs in cap and then take on BBs.  In each case you must do more damage than you take, hopefully every other teammate is doing likewise.... no one being too stupid or too cautious.

Members
191 posts
12 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

I really don't get this sentiment.
You want to improve at a certain level /tier of play, you play that level, going back to lower tiers doesn't help you improve your game of the current meta in the tier you want to play. If anything it teaches bad habits that can't be used in higher tier play.

But what do i know, i'm a scrub.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles
Just now, xovian said:

I really don't get this sentiment.
You want to improve at a certain level /tier of play, you play that level, going back to lower tiers doesn't help you improve your game of the current meta in the tier you want to play. If anything it teaches bad habits that can't be used in higher tier play.

But what do i know, i'm a scrub.

It wasn't a recommendation for learning, it was a recommendation if the OP is looking to increase their win rate back to where it had been.  

Although on the topic, one can learn good habits in any tier, and consistently practice bad habits in any tier (the tier 10 ships players have with hundreds of games if not over a thousand and win rates in the thirties attest to that).  The key to learning from any tier is to focus on wanting to improve and play well, not just satisfied with winning, but rather to be getting better.  That isn't for everyone though, so many play the game for a few laughs and sail on blissfully unaware of their own ignorance.  It is a matter of personal choice.

Does that make sense?

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

Also OP taking a quick look at your more in depth stats, I think I see your issue.  

You have no tier 9 or 10 ship with a win rate over your average.   Most are new within the past 3 months.  In addition only 1 tier 8 ship you got within the past 3 months has a win rate higher than your overall average.  Your tier 7 is mixed, and your tier 6 or less is well above your average.  

So yes it is definitely a case of something at the Tier 8+ that you still have to improve on which is likely pulling your win rate down.  You survival rate in those tiers is below average even though your damage, kills, XP, etc is above average.  While it is just an estimate based upon the stats, this likely means that you are making critical mistakes and being caught for them, leading to an early death than normal, and thus minimizing your ability to influence the match, and hence more losses.

Though to be fair you play almost entirely solo and your win rate is above average for that (59% solo as not a CV or DD main is VERY good).   So while I understand the frustration I wouldn't worry too much about it.   Undoubtedly it will click at some point.

Good luck! :cap_like:

Edited by SyndicatedINC

Members
19 posts
1,503 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Kongo said:

I don't know if the MM is fixed or not. But for the past 3 months, my WR has been absolutely plummeting, with no other noteworthy dropoff in stats. Kills, damage, survival percentage, experience, etc., have all stayed virtually the same. About four months ago, I was bumping right up around 59% solo WR. Now, I have tanked down to 56.5% (or so) and wouldn't be surprised to drop to 55% shortly.

So I've been playing this server for 500+ battles now. I quite liked the mid tiers (more agressive than EU), once I got to t8+ something was quite noticeable.

The amount of extremely stupid dd players on this server (especially high tiers) is remarkable (so is the EVERY battleship needs to reverse meta, but that's another story) - Sometimes it looks like every high tier dd thinks he is a derzki.  Very often all DDs of one side are dead in 5/6 minutes.

Which leads to the team with the one good DD often winning - there is little to be done to that in another ship.

I'm saying this because I immediately notice the position of the gearing and the kiew on your screenshot. Granted, only one game, but I'd be interested if in other games in your "lose-streak" you also tend to notice a correlation with suiciding DDs.

(Also, the enemy team had the better carrier, by far, although a lexington in t10 should easily be counterable. Did he torp a DD in his smoke by any chance....?)

3 hours ago, SyndicatedINC said:

You are aware that you played the major part of your games are in division, and that the average tier of your solo games is 4.4 (...), where your winrate is only one measily percent higher than the OP's?

Edited by PzPz_EU
typo
  • Cool 1

[OPG]
Supertester
1,906 posts
10,315 battles
18 hours ago, PzPz_EU said:

You are aware that you played the major part of your games are in division, and that the average tier of your solo games is 4.4 (...), where your winrate is only one measily percent higher than the OP's?

You seem to be implying that I am insulting the OP, I am not.  The OP made a post about a declining win rate and looking for answers as to why.  Analyzing their stats presented the tier increase clearly is a major factor.   As I wrote in the following post, the OP's solo win rate is still quite good.   They however are lamenting that it used to be better, thus I pointed out what changed.   

Edited by SyndicatedINC

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,860 posts
13,076 battles

Just keep at it.

Let's say you are a 55% player.  The likelihood of a 55% player achieving 47% over 150 games is 3.6%.  Although 3.6% is a small percentage, it's still well within a reasonable range.

Your low WR is probably a combination of trying out new ships, the higher tiers (T8 is particularly brutal at the moment), as well as being in the statistical short end on MM.  

Press on.  Your other stats are exceptional, even on the loses.