You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pope_Shizzle

Dear WG - Here is a Temporary Improvement for Carrier Balance

81 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Supertester
3,099 posts
6,832 battles

If you are going to let CV's ruin games, then you need to take a page from World of Tanks and do NOT allow carriers to division.  WOT stopped allowing artillery to division because it was simply too powerful a tool to allow to have arty platooned with other players.  CV's are the same way.  

That is all.  Thanks!!

• Cool 16
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
12 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

If you are going to let CV's ruin games, then you need to take a page from World of Tanks and do NOT allow carriers to division.  WOT stopped allowing artillery to division because it was simply too powerful a tool to allow to have arty platooned with other players.  CV's are the same way.  

That is all.  Thanks!!

hrm then we just sync drop.

• Funny 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,479 battles
42 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

That is all.  Thanks!!

They actually added it back in a few patches ago, you can now have 1 arty per platoon

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,438 battles

Yeah you don't want them sync dropping because they could end up on opposite teams and I don't know how many people want two CVs using voice comms on opposite teams.

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
51 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

That is all.  Thanks!!

Well always the option to run a AA spec Cruiser then and work as a team. Other then yolo and get dominated by a CV. Hide in smoke as a DD? Nah cv just going to blind fire torps into your smoke and still kill you.

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,073 posts
9,551 battles
5 hours ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

If you are going to let CV's ruin games, then you need to take a page from World of Tanks and do NOT allow carriers to division. 

I approve of this message. Too many times you see try hard divs with a Midway and 2 AA boats which can greatly affect the outcome of the match. Yes they can sync drop but it is not a guarantee to be in same match or same team. Keep in mind that as Pope stated, this is a temp solution proposal until a CV rework.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
30 minutes ago, Fodder4U said:

I approve of this message. Too many times you see try hard divs with a Midway and 2 AA boats which can greatly affect the outcome of the match. Yes they can sync drop but it is not a guarantee to be in same match or same team.

most times sync drop in the high tiers has fun results where whole clan is about 40%-60. It is possible somtimes to get the whole channel on ts into same team but mostly we get to sink each others.

[BLUE_]
Members
399 posts
14,421 battles
1 hour ago, mfumukoskoldpadda said:

hqdefault.jpg

Hehehehehe! This guy is funny! :Smile_teethhappy:

Telling Pope to git gud...

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,335 posts
6,609 battles
59 minutes ago, 5D_Kitakami_Megatron said:

Well always the option to run a AA spec Cruiser then and work as a team. Other then yolo and get dominated by a CV. Hide in smoke as a DD? Nah cv just going to blind fire torps into your smoke and still kill you.

If you get blind torped in your smoke, then you either a) smoked up too late, making your next moves very predictable, b) you gave away your position by firing (or were radared, but that‘s no longer blind torping), c) you didn‘t move or prepared for potential Torpedoes entering your smoke or d) you didn‘t stretch the smoke cloud.

In all four cases you made a mistake, and were punished for it. Use the deployment time for your smoke screens, make the cloud as large as possible. Change your angle constantly, speed boost helps in this situation.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
1 hour ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

That is all.  Thanks!!

Dang, everything happens when I’m away; (haven’t played Tanks since November,) that; or I just never noticed.

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
5,789 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Dang, everything happens when I’m away; (haven’t played Tanks since November,) that; or I just never noticed.

well, i quit playing tanks on pc and haven't touch tanks on Xbox one in long while. Been grinding my cruiser line I mean french bb now. So what is new in tanks but the lag was killing me with it play style.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

Until 9.17, arty was never "too powerful." It was too random. It either did nothing or one shotted you. Arty is more similar to early game full health detonations than CV. Now, arty is much more powerful because it one shots lightly armored tanks, never misses, stuns, and fires more often. Damage is down against super heavies, but influence is up. More kill secures, less time to move, fewer safe zones, and reduced survivability for lts and other tanks with soft tops.

I can't even remember the last time a CV killed me or caused me serious problems, never mind a CV div. The only time divs cause problems is when there are three unicums. Forcing a decent CV player to move to another class is not going to alter the outcome. You'll still lose unless their team is worse than yours. Meanwhile, arty free games are rare and there are usually 2-3 per side.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,195 posts
11,707 battles

I won't lie, I only clicked this thread because the author's a poster I generally respect.  To see someone tell him to get gud was definitely worth the price of admission.

• Funny 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

...well if you gonna mess with that aspect of the game... I'd like the ability for two CV to division together but not allow a CV to div with any other ship type. Would that be acceptable then? I have yet to see a coordinated effort by two carriers... it could prove interesting, indeed. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,874 posts
7,205 battles

The main reason I rarely play tier 9 or 10 cvs, is that without a division myself, I will be disadvantaged when faced with an enemy CV who is divved in 7 battles out of 10. In short, divisions are one of the factors that limit and distort (for unsaid reasons) high tier CV population,

[WOLF2]
Members
76 posts
6,673 battles
53 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

...well if you gonna mess with that aspect of the game... I'd like the ability for two CV to division together but not allow a CV to div with any other ship type. Would that be acceptable then? I have yet to see a coordinated effort by two carriers... it could prove interesting, indeed. 

Allowing CV's to division together, would be even worse. In random, its lucky if you get a decent CV driver to start with. To have 2 on one team, who are going to work together, and hope that you would have 2 on the other team, who *MIGHT* have a brain and work together, and *MIGHT* be halfway decent, is way too much to ask.  2 CV in a match is already too much, let alone together in a division. 

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Members
1,426 posts
12,243 battles
4 hours ago, Fodder4U said:

I approve of this message. Too many times you see try hard divs with a Midway and 2 AA boats which can greatly affect the outcome of the match. Yes they can sync drop but it is not a guarantee to be in same match or same team. Keep in mind that as Pope stated, this is a temp solution proposal until a CV rework.

The voice of reason.

A solo CV player (and by virtue of CV strength, his/her whole team) shouldn't be punished for playing because they don't have a strong clan or regular division mates.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

An alternative solution for the temporary fix is that CVs will only enter matches against CVs in a division the same size. So CVs in 3 man div only faces other CVs in a 3 man div, etc.

• Cool 5

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,966 posts
1,487 battles
5 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

If you get blind torped in your smoke, then you either a) smoked up too late, making your next moves very predictable, b) you gave away your position by firing (or were radared, but that‘s no longer blind torping), c) you didn‘t move or prepared for potential Torpedoes entering your smoke or d) you didn‘t stretch the smoke cloud.

In all four cases you made a mistake, and were punished for it. Use the deployment time for your smoke screens, make the cloud as large as possible. Change your angle constantly, speed boost helps in this situation.

Or your in a british CL who has terrible smoke cloud size.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
6 minutes ago, Carl said:

Or your in a british CL who has terrible smoke cloud size.

Sans captain Jack.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,827 posts
10,390 battles
1 hour ago, cometguy said:

An alternative solution for the temporary fix is that CVs will only enter matches against CVs in a division the same size. So CVs in 3 man div only faces other CVs in a 3 man div, etc.

I think that would be fairer, however given the queue time for CV's and the occasional matchmaking purge it might not work out.

Midway has a solo win-rate of about 46% at the moment, while in a 3-man division it's 71%. It has the highest WR at T10 in 3-man, but the lowest in solo play.

For comparison Zao (not a great division ship) goes from 49% to 60%, solo-3 div. The Des Moines (which likes smoke/friends) goes from 50% to merely 57%.

Clearly the influence of divisioning on carriers is disproportionately huge, but the other thing to note is that with a 46% solo WR at the moment it's not even just division to win, it's division to stay competitive in Midway, because odds are if you're solo you'll run into another division.

If this isn't broken, I don't know what is.

• Cool 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
9 minutes ago, mofton said:

I think that would be fairer, however given the queue time for CV's and the occasional matchmaking purge it might not work out.

Midway has a solo win-rate of about 46% at the moment, while in a 3-man division it's 71%. It has the highest WR at T10 in 3-man, but the lowest in solo play.

For comparison Zao (not a great division ship) goes from 49% to 60%, solo-3 div. The Des Moines (which likes smoke/friends) goes from 50% to merely 57%.

Clearly the influence of divisioning on carriers is disproportionately huge, but the other thing to note is that with a 46% solo WR at the moment it's not even just division to win, it's division to stay competitive in Midway, because odds are if you're solo you'll run into another division.

If this isn't broken, I don't know what is.

Yep, so high tier a CV div could sit in queue all night. But low/medium tier, the wait probably wouldn't be as bad. So people who could use some help in a CV would probably stick with it.