Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jakajan

Balancing idea, adjust tiers not ships? Crazy thought.

12 comments in this topic

[NNC]
Members
1,136 posts
13,610 battles

So, what if a ships tier and price point could actually be changed based on ship performance? So if the Lyon outperformed the Richelieu consistently they might swap tiers. Yes, I understand there are module issues. There are also likely numerous issues such as if the Kutuzov or Belfast performing well enough, if they do excel to actually turn a tier 9 cruiser and tier 8 cruiser respectively. You could argue that some people might be upset about their purchased ships gaining a tier, but I think it could actually work out in an interesting fashion.

It might get a bit crazy and I think any shifts would need to be okayed by devs obviously and I am a little concerned about modules and etc. I'm not actually saying this is a great idea neccisarily, but rather it is one that I think is maybe worth exploring because it would allow for prmiums to be released, and then if over powered they could be "fixed" by allowing the tier to fluctuate based on performance and expected performance.

So if the Huang He is tanking in stats, or the Krasny Krym isn't pulling her weight, it allows for some shiftabouts is all I am saying. Some ships may grow in valu after purchased, some may lose.

Odd things might happen if say Kaga or Saipan ended up being tier 8, but you know maybe she is a little too strong? :P Hard to say, would be interesting to see.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,040 posts
1,091 battles

Although it sounds like a neat idea, putting that into practice would be more work than it's worth. It's much easier for WG to just do what they're doing now, which is either increasing, or decreasing a stat of a ship based on it's affect on the performance of the ship as a whole. 

And come on, if WG is already having such a hard time with balancing as is, what makes you think complicating an already complex matter a plausible solution?

[NNC]
Members
1,136 posts
13,610 battles

Yeah, I guess. It just seems to me that there are better solutions than to stop selling a ship because it is over powered.

If you up tier a ship you increase its dollar value do you not? If you lower the tier of a ship you can make its match making more favorable. Either can be cast in a positive light.

Also I guess changing the tier of a ship could be fun for people who are paying attention and can then play a ship with a whole different match making spread.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,876 posts
5,259 battles

Don’t change the actual ship tier.  Just the matchmaking it gets.

Poor Prinz Eugen should nevervsee a game above Tier 8.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,742 posts
8,331 battles

To be honest I don't think it would work for some ship. If Lyon outperform Richelieu and WG swap them, Lyon might just have the same performance as Richelieu or even worst. I don't want to imagine a Lyon facing a Zao or Henri that will burn them from max range while not be able to do anything because the dispersion is crap and the caliber isn't large enough to do anything lol .

But I agree it might solve some problems regarding broken premiums. 

Spoiler

But if WG could just stop releasing broken gimmick at tier where they shouldn't belong we wouldn't be there. 

[BOTES]
Members
281 posts
5,144 battles

The game isn't supposed to be balanced. WG makes more money when you suffer. They have no incentive to balance the game.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles

Imagine the overflowing salt if you moved the Kamikaze-R to tier 7 ??

Or maybe moving the Imperator Nicholai I to tier 5 ??

You'll get more sympathy moving CVs....   but once you open the floodgates...

Here's a strange one..  How about moving the Musashi to tier 10 ??  Naaaaaaa..  Why would you want to do that? (Clan Battles)

Members
18,359 posts
5,241 battles

Gaijin might have patented that, that's how they work it in WT.

You end up with some weird dynamics.

Want to play a Zero? Well, because it's a bit harder to fly, mostly good players play it, so it's matched up against FW190s, 20mm Spitfires, Bf109Gs, Corsairs, Hellcats, etc. And that's just the A6M2.

If you want to fly an early Zero against its contemporaries, only the Rufe is available. But you're also then up against late-model P-47s, which are simple to fly and quite popular.

"Russian bias" plays a role too. Early Russian cannon-armed fighters are also popular, and you run into them when you're barely out of biplanes/fixed gear monoplanes.

Basically, low skill floor planes get played by lots of bad players, so they're rated low, and vice versa. 

Not very nice for the average player who wants to try a higher skill ceiling ship. Not only would they be trying to learn a ship that's a bit tricky to play, but they'd be doing it against ships that are more powerful in the hands of other average players.

Members
2,299 posts
4,163 battles
7 hours ago, Jakajan said:

So, what if a ships tier and price point could actually be changed based on ship performance? So if the Lyon outperformed the Richelieu consistently they might swap tiers. Yes, I understand there are module issues. There are also likely numerous issues such as if the Kutuzov or Belfast performing well enough, if they do excel to actually turn a tier 9 cruiser and tier 8 cruiser respectively. You could argue that some people might be upset about their purchased ships gaining a tier, but I think it could actually work out in an interesting fashion.

It might get a bit crazy and I think any shifts would need to be okayed by devs obviously and I am a little concerned about modules and etc. I'm not actually saying this is a great idea neccisarily, but rather it is one that I think is maybe worth exploring because it would allow for prmiums to be released, and then if over powered they could be "fixed" by allowing the tier to fluctuate based on performance and expected performance.

So if the Huang He is tanking in stats, or the Krasny Krym isn't pulling her weight, it allows for some shiftabouts is all I am saying. Some ships may grow in valu after purchased, some may lose.

Odd things might happen if say Kaga or Saipan ended up being tier 8, but you know maybe she is a little too strong? :P Hard to say, would be interesting to see.

I was with you until the last paragraph. 

Saipans and kagas vs enterprises/shokakus, ya that's balanced. 

I think it could still be fun only if there was not too much time before getting down tiered again.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles

If I remember correctly, this is what they're trying to do with Cleveland (up to Tier 8) and Pensacola (down to Tier 6). It's taking them a very, very long time, and for good reason: you can't just swap-out ships that easily. It's not easy at all. Especially Kaga. Imagine Tier 6 Torpedo aircraft against Tier 10 AA

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,368 battles

This isn't the same thing, but the special matchmaking formerly granted certain (premium) ships had something of the same effect.  Before the general MM changes that restricted T4 to -1/+1, for instance, Yubari had special matchmaking that limited it to +1 - i.e., unlike other T4s it never saw T6 ships.

I don't know if there was ever a ship with special expanded matchmaking - I don't think so.  But, for instance, if we received an announcement that Belfast is back in the store but it would now see special -2/+3 matchmaking (or Imp Nik would see -1/+2), that would be...interesting.  It would probably draw complaint as a nerf to a premium, but an interesting possibility.

On the other hand, I think WG in general moved away from ship-linked special matchmaking because of the complication it added, so I don't know if they would be eager to bring it back in any form.

[NNC]
Members
1,136 posts
13,610 battles

Yeah, special match making +3 or -2 tier for Belfast would likely be fair, it might even be sellable after that.

I actually, no longer think that Gremy is OP.

Sign in to follow this